ASROCK 970 extreme4 memory problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK 970 extreme4 memory problems

Hello! I've been trying to get my second kit of memory to work but I'm completly stuck. The memorys in question are these : Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 MHz (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory (TW3X4G1333C9A) at Amazon.com
    The first set got version number 6.0 and the second got 8.11.
    Now to my problem: When i attach the second kit i get drdebug codes A1, A2 and A3. Screen says its not connected, goes black and i have no power to my mouse (USB). Iknow you can get problems mixing different memory sets even though they are identical but i want to atleast TRY to get these to work but i just don't know how.
    I've tried changing the DRAM volt to 1.5 and turning off AMD cool & quiet but without sucess. Is there anyting else i can try before i throw this piece of crap out of the window?
    I read on another forum about a guy who had the exact same issues and he changed (?) from 9-9-9-24 to 9-9-9-27. Another guy said something about the CPU using to much V, making the motherboard unable to load x4 sticks. How do i do this? Can i get troubles with the guaranty changing these things and can the memories/moba take damage?
    Can i simple Bios update fix this maybe?

PSU Gaming Series
    Bios vers: 1.70
    Vcore voltage: 1.396V
    +5.0V Voltage: 5.064V
    +3.3V voltage: 3.248V
    +12V voltage: 11.986V
    CPU voltage : 1.4250V
    CPU NB voltage: 1.1000V
    DRAM voltage: 1.500V
    NB Voltage: 1.145V
    HT Voltage: 1.200V
    SB voltage: 1.10

Sorry for the WOT but im just so friggin frustrated.
    Cheers

EDIT: I updated to the newest bios vers (2.60) without any luck. However, I am getting a new debug code, this time it is 10..
    Last edited by FIrmabilen; 01-04-2015, 05:39 PM.

Re: ASROCK 970 extreme4 memory problems

If I understand correctly you have 1 set of 2x2GB Corsair and it worked fine but when you added another 2x2GB set of similar memory you have issues.
    You correctly understand that filling all memory slots can create issues more than just 2 slots, but it does seem a little strange.

If you aren't getting though boot its no surprise to me if the mouse doesn't work, try using a USB 2.0 port, they need less/no drivers.

So remove the good set of memory, leaving the new set - what happens? Does it boot ? Y/N
    If it boots, you have some all channels populated issue to work through.
    Move the memory to the first banks does it boot? Y/N
    Put the old memory in the 2nd bank - boot Y/N

Now you are on your way to finding out if its the new memory sticks or a 4 bank population issue.

Sorry to say, I always go for 2x "max" sticks to avoid this kind of issue. Frustrating I know.

You can also try clearing CMOS and running auto on the memory - memory timing can be very fickle.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-06-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
      If I understand correctly you have 1 set of 2x2GB Corsair and it worked fine but when you added another 2x2GB set of similar memory you have issues.
      You correctly understand that filling all memory slots can create issues more than just 2 slots, but it does seem a little strange.

If you aren't getting though boot its no surprise to me if the mouse doesn't work, try using a USB 2.0 port, they need less/no drivers.

So remove the good set of memory, leaving the new set - what happens? Does it boot ? Y/N
      If it boots, you have some all channels populated issue to work through.
      Move the memory to the first banks does it boot? Y/N
      Put the old memory in the 2nd bank - boot Y/N

Now you are on your way to finding out if its the new memory sticks or a 4 bank population issue.

Sorry to say, I always go for 2x "max" sticks to avoid this kind of issue. Frustrating I know.

You can also try clearing CMOS and running auto on the memory - memory timing can be very fickle.
      Thanks for your reply!:) Mouse is in a USB 2.0 port! Both sets works when they're not together. Moving the old/new sets doesn't change anything.. I've tried clearing CMOS and i got every setting on auto on the memory settings.
      I just had a thought, changing timing etc if that can be the problem..
      The strange thing is that when i did the first boot having both memory sets installed the friggin computer started and it showed in bios that they were all running but after a reboot i got no connection to the screen and dr debug giving me some strange codes..
      Where do i go from here? Feels like a waste throwing away this set since i just bought the 2nd for 50$ when i coulda bought a 8gb 2x set for 70..
      Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by FIrmabilen View Post
        Thanks for your reply!:) The strange thing is that when i did the first boot having both memory sets installed the friggin computer started and it showed in bios that they were all running
        Cheers
        BIOS can be a strange beast.

But there is the clue, if you can find the time:

Connect the CMOS clear jumper.
        Remove the battery
        Go for coffee, dinner or a sleep.
        Replace battery, then remove the jumper.
        Reboot and set to BIOS defaults.

Maybe and its only maybe (but with good track record) you will boot OK.

Otherwise, I would try to return or sell the other sticks (not as a combo set) and take the preferred 2 stick path.

Let us know.
        Last edited by Britgeezer; 01-06-2015, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Your Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A memory is a rather old model, not listed in your board's memory compatibility list.

That does not mean it won't work in your board, but when older models are kept around for a long time, the manufacture tends to change the memory chips they use, which is why you see different version numbers. Depending upon how different the chips are, and if their layout on the memory sticks is different, you get compatibility issues. That is not a surprise, particularly with DDR3 memory.

Your question about someone saying "the CPU using to much V, making the motherboard unable to load x4 sticks" is false.

The other thing you mentioned, "he changed (?) from 9-9-9-24 to 9-9-9-27", refers to the memory timings, which is done in the DRAM configuration screen in the BIOS. Setting different timings will not void a warranty or damage anything, the memory will just not be able to operate at out of spec settings. As suggested above, just use Auto settings for the timings.

A few things to try, put the new set of memory in one channel, the old set in another. Clear CMOS after doing that, the simple jumper method should be enough.

In the BIOS, in the DRAM Configuration screen, look for an option called "MRC Fast Boot", usually at the bottom of the screen. Set it to Disabled. Enabling this option skips "memory training" that occurs during POST, which you want to happen in your situation.

Also, you can't just buy any DDR3 memory and expect it to work... you mentioned an 8GB x 2 set. There are specifications that the memory controller requires, which is an AMD requirement, not something that ASRock created. Mobo manufactures tend to get blamed for memory problems and compatibility, but since the memory controller is either in the CPU or board's chipset, who made them? In your case, AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Your Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A memory is a rather old model, not listed in your board's memory compatibility list.

That does not mean it won't work in your board, but when older models are kept around for a long time, the manufacture tends to change the memory chips they use, which is why you see different version numbers. Depending upon how different the chips are, and if their layout on the memory sticks is different, you get compatibility issues. That is not a surprise, particularly with DDR3 memory.

Your question about someone saying "the CPU using to much V, making the motherboard unable to load x4 sticks" is false.

The other thing you mentioned, "he changed (?) from 9-9-9-24 to 9-9-9-27", refers to the memory timings, which is done in the DRAM configuration screen in the BIOS. Setting different timings will not void a warranty or damage anything, the memory will just not be able to operate at out of spec settings. As suggested above, just use Auto settings for the timings.

A few things to try, put the new set of memory in one channel, the old set in another. Clear CMOS after doing that, the simple jumper method should be enough.

In the BIOS, in the DRAM Configuration screen, look for an option called "MRC Fast Boot", usually at the bottom of the screen. Set it to Disabled. Enabling this option skips "memory training" that occurs during POST, which you want to happen in your situation.

Also, you can't just buy any DDR3 memory and expect it to work... you mentioned an 8GB x 2 set. There are specifications that the memory controller requires, which is an AMD requirement, not something that ASRock created. Mobo manufactures tend to get blamed for memory problems and compatibility, but since the memory controller is either in the CPU or board's chipset, who made them? In your case, AMD.
            The reason i bought this in the first hand is because my vendor told me it would fit "perfectly" for my card, what a f*cking rat!
            Gonna try what u listed above but where do i move the CMOS jumper to? Just to the 2/3rd pin? Hopefully this will work! Next time im buying something new I'm gonna look everything up for myself..
            Thank you for taking your time
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
              BIOS can be a strange beast.

But there is the clue, if you can find the time:

Connect the CMOS clear jumper.
              Remove the battery
              Go for coffee, dinner or a sleep.
              Replace battery, then remove the jumper.
              Reboot and set to BIOS defaults.

Maybe and its only maybe (but with good track record) you will boot OK.

Otherwise, I would try to return or sell the other sticks (not as a combo set) and take the preferred 2 stick path.

Let us know.
              Originally posted by parsec View Post

Tried with everything you listed but it still doesn't work. And now the "new" memories won't work at all so i'm gonna RMA this and just buy new ones..

These are the only ones i found here, guess they will do just fine + they are on the supported memory list. Thank you guys for taking your time!
              Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X