Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock X99 Extreme4 - is it ok to put the single graphics card in PCIE3 slot? CPU Cooler issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X99 Extreme4 - is it ok to put the single graphics card in PCIE3 slot? CPU Cooler issues

Hello guys and please excuse my bad English, I'm not a native speaker. :)

I ordered a i7 5820k CPU as well as an ASRock X99 Extreme4 motherboard. As CPU cooler I chose Noctua's DH-15.

Unfortunately the CPU cooler is huge, so according to Noctua's compatibility list the PCIE1 slot, where the primary graphic card usually goes, can't be accessed and one should choose another slot (according to Noctua's problem solving FAQ...).

My questions are:
    1) Does the ASRock X99 Extreme4 recognize a single GPU (GTX 770) if it's placed in the PCIE3 slot, while the PCIE1 slot is empty?

2) If 1) is true, will the PCIE3 slot then be powered by x16 or x8 lanes? Technically it can offer x16 lanes as the manual says in a 40-lane CPU SLI surrounding. I'm not sure if hardware is smart enough these days to notice the PCIE1 is unused and deliveres the full power therefor there?

3) If 1) is true and 2) is false and it deliveres just x8 lane, will there be a problem now and for the next years with cards in the GTX 770/970/.... range?

Thanks for your help!

Re: ASRock X99 Extreme4 - is it ok to put the single graphics card in PCIE3 slot? CPU Cooler issues

Just an opinion.

The Noctua DH-15 is surely a large HSF, are you sure that its worth the effort and potential compromise for location of other cards? That's assuming that using only 1 fan doesn't help.

1. GPU in PCIE3 slot - I'm aware of no reason why not (and its simple to try)
    2. x8 or x16 - pass. I'm sure someone else will comment.
    3. Exactly, that's why I would not potentially compromise my system for an overlarge HSF.

If you plan to really push this system consider a closed loop water system, alternatively there are many smaller air HSF's with similar performance that will not limit your options.

Comment

Re: ASRock X99 Extreme4 - is it ok to put the single graphics card in PCIE3 slot? CPU Cooler issues

Have you looked at this board's manual to see if it has answers to your questions?

This is a new board, chipset, and processor, so few people have experience with it. Since the processors also have different numbers of PCIe lanes, that adds another variable and reduces the number of users that can answer you.

The difference in performance between PCIe 3.0 x8 and PCIe 3.0 x16 is small, about 5%.

Comment

Dear Idon D. Care

Q1: Does the ASRock X99 Extreme4 recognize a single GPU (GTX 770) if it's placed in the PCIE3 slot, while the PCIE1 slot is empty?
        X99 Extreme4 can automatically detect GTX 770 at PCIE3 slot while PCIE1 slot is empty.

Q2:If 1) is true, will the PCIE3 slot then be powered by x16 or x8 lanes? Technically it can offer x16 lanes as the manual says in a 40-lane CPU SLI surrounding. I'm not sure if hardware is smart enough these days to notice the PCIE1 is unused and delivers the full power therefor there?
        The PCIE3 slot of X99 Extreme4 will run at X8 if install i7-5820K CPU with X28 lanes.
        If possible, we still suggest you install VGA card at PCIE1 slot when use 28 lanes CPU and card will work at x16.
        You can refer our X99 Extreme4 specification as below link:
        ASRock > X99 Extreme4

Q3:If install GTX770 at x8 lanes system still can work properly, but speed will have little difference with x16 lanes.
        If install GTX770 at PCIE3 slot, system still can work properly and work at x8 lanes.

please refer below picture.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	x99 extreme4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	754783

Good luck to you.

Best wishes
        ASRock-TSD
        Eddy

Comment

Thanks guys for your very helpful answers!

I decided to send the Noctua back and get an alternative cooler (water based AIO system) that kills off all the problems for the disadvantage of even more money spent... but keep ordering the ASRock as planned and don't go for the ASUS I thought about as an alternative.

Comment

Working...
          X