Fan-Tastic, can't set below 50%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan-Tastic, can't set below 50%?

Is it impossible to set less than 50% fan state using Fan-Tastic (from A-Tuning)?

Do I have to manually edit config files or something? If so where can I find them?

Also I'm not sure if it's a bug, but I can't seem to add/remove nodes either.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Fan-Tastic, can't set below 50%?

We need to know what ASRock board you have to know what fan speed options you have.

But I can tell you why you can't change that profile in FanTastic tuning. The CPU fan speed profile you have selected in the BIOS determines if you can change it in FanTastic tuning.

Only the Custom CPU fan speed profile, when selected in the BIOS, can be changed in FanTastic tuning. You have the CPU fan speed profile in the BIOS set to one of the pre-defined profiles, like Standard or Silent. The built in fan speed profiles cannot be changed by FanTastic tuning.

Go into the BIOS and select the Customize CPU FAN speed option, configure it in the BIOS, or just select it and configure it in FanTastic tuning.

Also, you must run the Fan Test in FanTastic tuning before you configure the custom profile. That way the fan speed percentage and RPM you see after running the test will let you choose the speed you want for a certain temperature.

When you run the Fan test, it takes a minute or two to complete. When it finishes, the fan will run at 100%, that is just how it works. At that point, just click the Apply button and the fan speed profile in the display will be applied. After that you can adjust the profile manually, delete nodes, etc. Don't forget to apply any changes to the profile, or they won't happen.

Comment

I had a similar problem with dots stuck to the top that I solved by uninstalling/reinstalling and rebooting 3 times... there needs to be a reset graph button IMO

Thanks
      Speedweigand

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        We need to know what ASRock board you have to know what fan speed options you have.

But I can tell you why you can't change that profile in FanTastic tuning. The CPU fan speed profile you have selected in the BIOS determines if you can change it in FanTastic tuning.

Only the Custom CPU fan speed profile, when selected in the BIOS, can be changed in FanTastic tuning. You have the CPU fan speed profile in the BIOS set to one of the pre-defined profiles, like Standard or Silent. The built in fan speed profiles cannot be changed by FanTastic tuning.

Go into the BIOS and select the Customize CPU FAN speed option, configure it in the BIOS, or just select it and configure it in FanTastic tuning.

Also, you must run the Fan Test in FanTastic tuning before you configure the custom profile. That way the fan speed percentage and RPM you see after running the test will let you choose the speed you want for a certain temperature.

When you run the Fan test, it takes a minute or two to complete. When it finishes, the fan will run at 100%, that is just how it works. At that point, just click the Apply button and the fan speed profile in the display will be applied. After that you can adjust the profile manually, delete nodes, etc. Don't forget to apply any changes to the profile, or they won't happen.
        The board is the fm2a88x-itx+

I can change the profile, just not that ONE DOT on the left. Changing the BIOS profile from the most aggressive to standard didn't do anything, but I'll try custom.

I ran fan test previously and it didn't help with anything sadly. But you can configure FanTastic WITHOUT running the test (and yes it works!).

How do I add/delete nodes? Is there a way to reset the graph?

Originally posted by Mike Weigand View Post
        I had a similar problem with dots stuck to the top that I solved by uninstalling/reinstalling and rebooting 3 times... there needs to be a reset graph button IMO

Thanks
        Speedweigand
        I've tried that and no luck, I assume there's some config files somewhere that aren't being cleaned up.

I suspect it's the same issue!

EDIT: Changing the bios fan profile to custom and setting the values there worked! It seems FAN-Tastic cannot adjust the highest and lowest values, only the middle ones. I guess I'll just set the first and last nodes as low/high as possible and work within that.

Thanks for the help!
        Last edited by gorman_; 12-25-2014, 05:39 AM.

Comment

As I said earlier, only the Custom fan speed profiles can be changed, none of the predefined profiles can be changed.

The lowest and highest values also cannot be changed. In the BIOS, the lowest fan speed you can select is 30%, and that is the same in FanTastic tuning. That is done so some users don't set the CPU fan speed to a very low percentage value, and then the CPU fan does not start/run.

Then those people would blame ASRock for damaging their PC, "why do you let me put in a setting that is dangerous?", is what they say.

The highest value is the CPU Critical Temperature option in the UEFI/BIOS. Its max value is 80C. Above the CPU Critical Temperature, the CPU fan runs at 100% to try to cool it down. This is another safety feature built into the fan speed control.

Of course you can adjust the Custom fan curve without running the fan test. I could have wrote what I did better to make my point:

My point is without running the fan test, you don't know what the speed (RPM) of the fan is at a certain percentage on the graph.

All fans are different in their speed range, and the voltage needed to start them spinning, there are very few standards. If a fan had a max speed of 2000 RPM, but at "50%" on the graph was spinning at 500 RPM, 50% is probably not enough fan speed except at 30C CPU temperature. If you don't run the fan test, you don't know how fast your fan is running at any of the % values on the graph.

Comment

parsec your information is not correct, please recheck your sources or test yourself before posting further.
            As I said earlier, only the Custom fan speed profiles can be changed, none of the predefined profiles can be changed.
            This is incorrect, as I said earlier you CAN CHANGE FAN SPEEDS WITHOUT CUSTOM FAN SPEED PROFILES.

The lowest and highest values also cannot be changed. In the BIOS, the lowest fan speed you can select is 30%, and that is the same in FanTastic tuning. That is done so some users don't set the CPU fan speed to a very low percentage value, and then the CPU fan does not start/run.

Then those people would blame ASRock for damaging their PC, "why do you let me put in a setting that is dangerous?", is what they say.

The highest value is the CPU Critical Temperature option in the UEFI/BIOS. Its max value is 80C. Above the CPU Critical Temperature, the CPU fan runs at 100% to try to cool it down. This is another safety feature built into the fan speed control.
            As you can see from my original screenshot the minimum fan speed was locked to 50% NOT 30%.

Of course you can adjust the Custom fan curve without running the fan test. I could have wrote what I did better to make my point:

My point is without running the fan test, you don't know what the speed (RPM) of the fan is at a certain percentage on the graph.
            Oh, it was just random pointless trivia, sorry I thought you were saying something relevant to the conversation...

Thank you for stating that in order to see the RPM you need to first test... I think everyone already knew that but for posterity I guess it's useful...

All fans are different in their speed range, and the voltage needed to start them spinning, there are very few standards. If a fan had a max speed of 2000 RPM, but at "50%" on the graph was spinning at 500 RPM, 50% is probably not enough fan speed except at 30C CPU temperature. If you don't run the fan test, you don't know how fast your fan is running at any of the % values on the graph.
            This is misleading and incorrect.

You do not need to know the RPM to see if your machine is staying within ideal temperature, and knowing the RPM is not enough. There is a variety of factors that determine your temperature, you NEED TO TEST IT. You can't just say "well 1300 RPM is good". It's completely unnecessary to know the RPM, just adjust based on observation and testing.

I'll try lock this thread to prevent any more useless posts. Mike Weigand's posts confirms the problem is with FAN-Tastic, and manually resetting the profile in the BIOS fixed it.

Comment

OMG, it's the end of the world...

Yes, you are right, you can change a pre-defined profile in FanTastic tuning, but it doesn't change it permanently in the BIOS.

Never said your original fan speed was 30%, you didn't read what I wrote so I won't repeat it.

What got into you is beyond me...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec
                only the Custom fan speed profiles can be changed, none of the predefined profiles can be changed.
                Yes, you are right, you can change a pre-defined profile in FanTastic tuning
                Ok but you directly contradict yourself.

And if what you were trying to say all along was that you can't save changes created with FanTastic, then it's totally irrelevant to this thread and the conversation so once again I am at a loss as to why you bring up such useless trivia.

Never said your original fan speed was 30%, you didn't read what I wrote so I won't repeat it.
                Again we see you make a statement then reneg on it and claim you were talking about something completely irrelevant.

You can set the fan speed lower than 30%, so the logical assumption is that you thought I was stuck at 30% because that was the lowest it can go. Naturally, 0% is the lowest it can go, so your statement has no bearing on the conversation and is totally pointless and incorrect.

You seem to be trying to show off your knowledge when you have none, and once the issue was resolved you still feel the need to defend your ignorant post and claim you were just spouting trivia and weren't trying to help. I appreciate your original post (assuming you were genuinely trying to help but were just ignorant), but your posts after that are just pointless and idiotic.

Comment

Working...
                X