Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to hook ESata drive to Z97x Killer MB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hook ESata drive to Z97x Killer MB?

I thought the Asrock Z97x Killer supported ESata but I see no connection. Am I missing something? Or, do I need some kind of ESATA to SATA adapter. Exactly how do I hook this up?

Thanks!

Re: How to hook ESata drive to Z97x Killer MB?

Originally posted by Jim VanLaar View Post
    I thought the Asrock Z97x Killer supported ESata but I see no connection. Am I missing something? Or, do I need some kind of ESATA to SATA adapter. Exactly how do I hook this up?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response! Yes I read that in the manual as well. Is there something like and adapter you connect to a regular Sata with a back panel that has an ESATA connection? I dunno maybe I just get a different external and hook to a USB 3 port.

Comment

A web search using: sata to esata adapter OR bracket will provide links to various products.
        Click on the image option in the search results page to see examples.

The sata cables will need to be long enough to plug into the motherboard's sata connectors.

Bandwidth will probably be limited to sata2 speeds but this is not an issue with hard drives.

You will also need to provide power to the hard drive or external housing.

I do not recommend using external docking stations if you will be frequently connecting and disconnecting hard drives or ssd's.

External hard drive enclosure with usb and esata connectors.

esata external enclosures - Newegg.com
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

eSATA, or external SATA, is not the same as a SATA Express interface. eSATA is included in the SATA 2.0 specification, and is 10 years old. SATA Express was initially specified in the SATA 3.2 revision. Their data cable connectors are not compatible, as well as the data interface.

SATA Express SSDs are not yet available, although ASUS showed a prototype along with one of their Z97 mother boards.

The Fatal1ty Z97X Killer board does not have a built in eSATA connector. Prof Jim's suggestions of the eSATA adapter or bracket are the best ways to add eSATA connectivity to your board. Some other ASRock Z97 boards have a built in eSATA connector.

Comment

Working...
          X