Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme3, FAN speed not working on CHA_FAN2

Hello all,
    I have just purchased a new Z97 Extreme3 and fitted into a Corsair Carbide 540 case
    The case has two frontal fans, they ARE NOT PWM (only 3 pins) and they are properly connected to
    CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 (which are 3 pin fan connectors, again NO PWM, but I never had problem adjusting speeds on 3 pins connectors.)
    No matter which FAN I try on CHA_FAN2, there is no way to adjust the fan speed.
    Setting it silent in UEFI BIOS, or customizing fan level (1,2,3,4,5), or using FAN-tastic software doesn't help.
    Seems that CHA_FAN2 has a set voltage and won't change it no matter what, and it's always at full speed.
    Again I would like to stress that I've tried different fans (which work well and change their speed on CHA_FAN3) but the problem remains
    Is this a hardware issue? Should I try to update the UEFI?
    Also, in FAN-tastic tuning, "test fan" button seems to freeze on CHA_FAN2 for 2-3 minutes, and the listed RPMs are fixed (1010 RPM) for every %.
    How comes I can change speed on cha_fan3 but not on cha_fan2?
    many thanks in advance,

Ivan
    Last edited by ivanover; 12-16-2014, 11:36 AM. Reason: URL correction

Re: Z97 Extreme3, FAN speed not working on CHA_FAN2

Originally posted by ivanover View Post
    Hello all,
    I have just purchased a new Z97 Extreme3 and fitted into a Corsair Carbide 540 case
    The case has two frontal fans, they ARE NOT PWM (only 3 pins) and they are properly connected to
    CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 (which are 3 pin fan connectors, again NO PWM, but I never had problem adjusting speeds on 3 pins connectors.)
    No matter which FAN I try on CHA_FAN2, there is no way to adjust the fan speed.
    Setting it silent in UEFI BIOS, or customizing fan level (1,2,3,4,5), or using FAN-tastic software doesn't help.
    Seems that CHA_FAN2 has a set voltage and won't change it no matter what, and it's always at full speed.

Again I would like to stress that I've tried different fans (which work well and change their speed on CHA_FAN3) but the problem remains
    Is this a hardware issue? Should I try to update the UEFI?
    Also, in FAN-tastic tuning, "test fan" button seems to freeze on CHA_FAN2 for 2-3 minutes, and the listed RPMs are fixed (1010 RPM) for every %.
    How comes I can change speed on cha_fan3 but not on cha_fan2?
    many thanks in advance,

Ivan
    Sorry to ask these questions (I have an important reason for doing so), but in your board's BIOS, in HW Monitor, you have the same set of fan control settings for Chassis FAN2 and Chassis FAN3?

You also have in FanTastic Tuning, the same fan speed setting options for Chassis FAN2 and Chassis FAN3?

I know that is what you wrote in your post above, I can understand it fine, but it is important that I understand perfectly, since I do not have your ASRock board. I have five ASRock boards, so I am familiar with their BIOS and programs.

The problem is not the three pin fans or PWM, you are right about all that and they are connected right. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, and it is NOT something that you are doing wrong.

After you reply I'll have more information for you. Important too, what BIOS version and version of A-Tuning are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Sorry to ask these questions (I have an important reason for doing so), but in your board's BIOS, in HW Monitor, you have the same set of fan control settings for Chassis FAN2 and Chassis FAN3?

You also have in FanTastic Tuning, the same fan speed setting options for Chassis FAN2 and Chassis FAN3?

I know that is what you wrote in your post above, I can understand it fine, but it is important that I understand perfectly, since I do not have your ASRock board. I have five ASRock boards, so I am familiar with their BIOS and programs.

The problem is not the three pin fans or PWM, you are right about all that and they are connected right. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, and it is NOT something that you are doing wrong.

After you reply I'll have more information for you. Important too, what BIOS version and version of A-Tuning are you using?
      Thanks for your kind reply.
      After your message I checked the BIOS and FAN-tastic tool and noticed a very strange thing.
      While in UEFI you can customize CHA_FAN3 for various speeds linked to CPU or MB temperature, CHA_FAN2 can only be set with fixed levels, and you can't link its speed to sensor or customize it.
      CHA_FAN3 UEFI setting is in standard mode, CHA_FAN2 (the culprit) UEFI settings is at LEVEL2 (and you cant choose a mode, only 4 leveles), picture here
      Similarly, in FAN-Tastic tuning, you can set CHA_FAN3 to link its speed to CPU/MB temperature, while CHA_FAN2 can only be set at a fixed speed.
      I can shut down completely CHA_FAN3 (it's a LED fan, so while watching a movie the light is distracting), while CHA_FAN2 is always on, even if at low speeds.
      CHA_FAN3 FAN-tastic picture here
      CHA_FAN2 FAN-tastic picture here

UEFI BIOS version is Z97 EXTREME3 P1.20
      A-TUNING software version is 2.0.128
      I've just tried to load BIOS defaults, but the problem is still there.

Again, many thanks for your cooperation
      Ivan
      Last edited by ivanover; 12-17-2014, 04:13 AM.

Comment

I'm glad you noticed that the BIOS option settings for CHA_FAN2 are the same as what you see in FanTastic tuning. I thought that might be true.

Sorry to say, there is no problem. The four levels or speeds for CHA_FAN2 is how that fan header is supposed to work. It is designed that way and is working as ASRock intended it to work. There is no way you can change that with a new BIOS or new A-Tuning version. Many ASRock boards have one fan header with that kind of simple fan speed control.

Some of my older ASRock boards also have the four level CHA_FAN2 speed control. My Z87 Extreme 6 board has the four level CHA_FAN2 speed control. My more expensive ASRock boards have the full fan speed control on all the fan headers, except for the PWR_FAN header, which is designed to have no speed control.

I'm a bit surprised ASRock is still using that kind of fan speed control on their Z97 boards (my Z97 Extreme 6 does not have the four level CHA_FAN2 speed control), but it may be more expensive to add the parts on the board to have custom speeds on all the fan headers.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

Sorry to say, there is no problem. The four levels or speeds for CHA_FAN2 is how that fan header is supposed to work. It is designed that way and is working as ASRock intended it to work.
          Well, mixed feelings here, I'm baffled thinking of my last motherboards, each one of them with fine speed fan adjusting capabilities, and this one in 2014 without this simple yet useful feature on all headers.
          On the other hand I'm somehow glad there are no problems on my board, and everything works as intended.
          Since you've been so kind, I would like to ask you one last question.
          If you look at my case, there are two 14cm LED frontal fans.
          At different fan speeds the LED is darker/brighter, so I'd like to have both fans at the same RPMs.
          I'd also like to shut them off completely, while watching movies on my TV they are distracting, and loud.
          Do you think I could get the power needed for both fans on CHA_FAN3 header with an Y splitter cable?
          Something like this one
          The fans are Corsair Air AF140 quiet edition and should use 0.23A each, so they will draw 0.46A on a single header.
          Is it viable in your opinion?
          Parsec, THANK YOU for your time and your kind replies, I was about to RMA the board, you saved me much time and stress.
          Kind regards

Ivan
          Last edited by ivanover; 12-18-2014, 04:09 AM.

Comment

I'm glad that helped you, even if you are not happy about the answer.

Next, about your idea to use the two 140mm chassis fans on the CHA_FAN3 header with a Y-splitter. You provided the perfect information about your fans, their current usage (0.23A each, for two, 0.46A.) You should have no problem doing that, 0.46A or 5.52W is below the maximum power available from the chassis fan headers. I've done this myself, two fans on a Y-splitter connected to a chassis fan header, and I did not have any problems.

I must tell you that someone posted in this forum that ASRock support told him that the maximum power draw from the chassis fan headers is 0.6A/7.2W. I do not know if that is true or not, since ASRock does not have the fan header power spec in their manuals. Usually the maximum power draw from fan headers is 1.0A/12W, and on older boards could be 2.0A/24W for the CPU fan header.

Comment

Working...
            X