Extreme4 or Fatal1ty Z97X Killer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme4 or Fatal1ty Z97X Killer?

I am considering two asrock motherboards for my new buid, which one is better? They both cost the same but I am liking the extreme4 because of the intel nic, is the killer any better in other areas like PWM? I will be overclocking the CPU, this is my current build I will be doing soon.

Build

MOTHERBOARDS

ASRock Z97 Extreme4 Motherboard [Z97-EXTREME4] - $189.00 : PC Case Gear

ttp://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1491&pr oducts_id=27554
    Last edited by super_slav; 12-13-2014, 04:53 AM.

Re: Extreme4 or Fatal1ty Z97X Killer?

Those two boards are very similar, and you have identified one of the major differences, the different networking chips.

I've always preferred Intel network chips and cards, they just work and have the most options and settings in their configuration software. The Killer NIC's one unique feature is its software that is meant to prioritize network usage, supposedly useful for on line gaming. So if you were downloading a large file and on line gaming at the same time, you could set the game for a higher priority.

For over clocking, the Z97 Extreme 4 likely is better due to its 12 phase CPU VRM design, vs the Fatal1ty Z97X Killer's eight phase VRM design. Both designs may be overkill for over clocking Haswell processors, but the Extreme 4 having more phases (more transistors) will likely run cooler and be stressed less.

Not sure what you mean by better in areas like PWM? If you are referring to fan headers, they appear identical on both boards.

Comment

Re: Extreme4 or Fatal1ty Z97X Killer?

Thank you for your help, I will get the extreme4, I meant vrm not pwm, it was late and got them mixed up lol.

Comment

Working...
      X