asrock b75 pro3-m / How the get a quiet PC + Preset fan settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asrock b75 pro3-m / How the get a quiet PC + Preset fan settings

Hey everyone, I just upgraded my PC and got the ASRock b75 pro3-m and the Corsair 330R case.

This is a case that is supposed to silent things down but there are some questions i have about the fan settings in the BIOS.

I currently have it on "Level 1" and put it on max 60 and it is still pretty "loud". I don't even know what these fan levels supposed to mean. Can any of you enlighten me?

I'd like to minmax noise and keep a decent temperature, I hope some of you can help me with this

Build is : ASRock b75 pro3-m, i7 Sandy bridge, MSI GTX 970 and 8GB DDR3

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: In the BIOS settings I put the speed at "level 1" but the case fans of my corsair are loud! before i bought this mobo i had this case as well and it ran much more quiet then. So it's only been loud since this motherboard, is there no way i can get my fan speed more quiet than "level 1"?
    Last edited by EquinoxQQ; 12-12-2014, 01:56 PM.

Re: asrock b75 pro3-m / How the get a quiet PC + Preset fan settings

What sort of fan are you using, 3-pin or 4-pin? From a quick view into the manual I would say speed fan setting is only working with 4-pin (PWM) fans.
    ---
    Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

Originally posted by SandsOfTime View Post
      What sort of fan are you using, 3-pin or 4-pin? From a quick view into the manual I would say speed fan setting is only working with 4-pin (PWM) fans.
      I'm using 3 pin, but i can change the fanspeed in the bios because it started at default "Level 9" which is max speed pretty much, and i changed it to "Level 1" It's much more quiet but still too much noise for my liking. Is there a way to have custom amount of speed? and if so what it advisable to have.

Edit; I'm using the default fans that comes with the 330r but the reviews don't claim it makes as much noise as mine is making right now.

Comment

Your 330R has two fans, a 140mm in the front and a 120mm at the top rear exhaust. Both are three pin fans.

Your board only has two, three pin fan headers, the CPU_FAN2 header and the PWR_FAN1 header. The PWR_FAN1 header has no speed control at all.

You also have the four pin PWM CPU_FAN1 header, and the four pin CHA_FAN1 header, that may or may not be PWM controlled.

My question is which fan headers are you using for your 330R's fans? Also, what are you using for a CPU cooler?

The CPU_FAN2 header is paired with and controlled by the CPU_FAN1 option is the BIOS.

There are no standards for fan speeds for a specific PWM or voltage level or setting. All fans are different in their RPM range and voltage needed to start them spinning. At the same fan speed level setting in the BIOS, one fan might be at 1000RPM, while the other is at 500 RPM, or not even running.

As you know, Level 1 is the slowest fan speed, and Level 9 or 10 is the highest. The target temperature setting does not seem to do much at all, and more recent ASRock boards don't use that option anymore. I have an ASRock Z77 board, so our fan speed controls are very similar.

My ASRock Z77 board had a BIOS update that added an option called Customize for the CPU fan control. It allows you to enter a number between 1 and 255 to set the lowest fan speed. Apparently your board did not get the same update in one of its BIOS updates? This new option was not mentioned in the BIOS description, it just appeared after I updated to a new version.

One thing you can try might be in your board's AXTU software, in the FanTastic Tuning feature. Not all boards have this, but for at least the CPU fan there is a Calibrate or Fan Test button. That apparently gives the fan speed control in the BIOS and FanTastic Tuning an idea of the RPM range of the fans you are using, and might reduce the voltage to your case fans. After you run the fan test, it will be running at full speed, so you must select one of the fan speed curves to slow it down. This fan test is only in AXTU.

There is another method of changing the minimum fan speed for a fan header, but involves some work on one of the files AXTU uses. If you're really stuck with your fan speed an noise problem, I can tell you about that.

Comment

Working...
        X