Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Internet Flash Tool hung at 99%

Hi,
    I just tried booting up Linux pendrive in UEFI mode on my desktop machine. As it failed, I guessed (aka googled it) it might be an old bios version, so I decided to update the BIOS using the built-in technologies. I went into the Tools-section and started "Internet Flash - DHCP". As the european mirror didn't work I selected the USA-mirror, which the BIOS successfully downloaded the update. It worked fine, until it hit the 99% mark. Now it's hung there, neither keyboard nor mouse are responsive. I didn't turn it off yet, because I was too afraid my mainboard may be damaged. It's now displaying "Do not power off during UEFI update",but as it's there for 30min straight now, I'm tempted to do it as a "small" 5MB BIOS-update can't take so long (especcially if the 98% beforehands went quite fast).

My build:
    - ASRock B85 Pro4
    - Intel Xeon E3-V1231
    - Gigabyte GTX 970

Could it be my GPU not updating the picture and the BIOS being responsive the whole time?

Please help, I'm really desperate, it's a ASRock-feature, so I thought it would work well enough.

Re: ASRock Internet Flash Tool hung at 99%

Normally the Internet Flash method ends with a prompt to press Enter to continue, and the PC restarts. Yes, 30 minutes is to long for the update.

I noticed that the 2.20 BIOS (latest version) for your board contains "1. Update Instant Flash Module.", which might be related to your problem.

The best I can suggest for you now is to try pressing the Reset button on the PC case.

That will not cause the PC to power down, although I have seen some BIOS updates on my ASRock boards shut off the PC on their own, probably caused by the change in the BIOS settings to all default values, from the previous values that included an OC that cause the PC to shut off when a setting is changed, either from or to the default value.

If that happens don't get scared, the PC normally starts up immediately again.

Pressing Reset is really the only option you have at this time. Before pressing Reset, you could download a copy of the 2.20 BIOS, extract the full file and copy it to the root of a USB flash drive, and put the flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. That is the procedure for a BIOS flash recovery, and be sure to follow those instructions exactly.

Worst result would be replacing the CMOS/BIOS chip on the board, which is easily done.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Comment

Comment

Re: ASRock Internet Flash Tool hung at 99%

Great, glad that worked, but it should have worked.

I used Internet Flash once or twice and it worked fine for me. Otherwise I use Instant Flash with the BIOS file on a USB flash drive. That method has worked perfectly for me 99% of the time on multiple ASRock boards. I had only one BIOS update that did not agree with one board, but it did not ruin the board.

My point is don't fear BIOS updates based upon one semi-bad experience, they are not flirting with destruction operations.

Comment

Working...
        X