Did I Fry My ASRock Z97 Extreme6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I Fry My ASRock Z97 Extreme6?

This will teach me to be a newb building late at night. I have an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6. My PSU is an EVGA Supernova Nex 750G. My 24-pin ATX Power Connector is plugged in correctly. The Extreme6 also has an 8-pin ATX 12V power connector, but says you only need the 2nd 4 pins for extreme overclocking. The PSU has these 2 types of 8 pin connections:

CPU1 & CPU2: Cable is a 1x EPS12V 4+4 pin
    VGA1, VGA2, VGA3, VGA4: Cable is a 4x PCI-E 6+2 pin

I mistakenly connected one of the VGA connections to my motherboard's 8 pin slot and powered on. I got a faint "burning smell" and heard something "winding down". Realizing my mistake, I have since switched the cable, so have the CPU1 cable from my PSU connected to the 4 right hand spots on the 8 pin connector (up against Pin 1 & 5). When I turn the power on (using the power button on the motherboard), the Dr Debug light blinks once quickly (all lights, basically an "88"), the CPU fan turns on for a brief second, the PSU fan turns on for a brief second, and then everything turns off.

I have unplugged most of the connections from my board so that now I just have the 24 pin power connector, the 8 pin CPU power connector, my CPU cooler fan plugged in to the CPU fan header, and my RAM, which is in the grey slots (DDR3_A2 & B2).

Did I blow the thing up? And if so, how badly, and is there a way to test what I may have fried? Like is there a good way to make sure my PSU is still working, etc...

Feeling like an idiot, and needing some serious guidance... thanks for the help.

Re: Did I Fry My ASRock Z97 Extreme6?

That does not sound good, sorry to say...

The 4/8 pin EPS 12V CPU power cable/connector is wired differently than a PCIe 6+2 pin cable/connector. The +12V pins and ground pins on the connectors are reversed relative to each of those connectors:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pinout.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	754741

The reversed polarity on those cable matters, and I thought the connectors on each of these two types would not allow one to be connected to the other.

I doubt the PSU was damaged, but the CPU voltage regulators that use the power from the 4/8 pin connector on the board received the reversed polarity power connection, and were probably damaged, that was the odor you detected.

So bottom line, given your symptoms, the CPU voltage regulators were fried, and the board is dead, very sorry to say.

Comment

Re: Did I Fry My ASRock Z97 Extreme6?

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      That does not sound good, sorry to say...

The 4/8 pin EPS 12V CPU power cable/connector is wired differently than a PCIe 6+2 pin cable/connector. The +12V pins and ground pins on the connectors are reversed relative to each of those connectors:

[ATTACH]7424[/ATTACH]

The reversed polarity on those cable matters, and I thought the connectors on each of these two types would not allow one to be connected to the other.

I doubt the PSU was damaged, but the CPU voltage regulators that use the power from the 4/8 pin connector on the board received the reversed polarity power connection, and were probably damaged, that was the odor you detected.

So bottom line, given your symptoms, the CPU voltage regulators were fried, and the board is dead, very sorry to say.
      That really suck hey, you would have thought they would be keyed differently I just checked my psu leads and atleast they are labled cpu 12v and 8 pin pci express
      costly mistake but easy done hey!

Comment

Working...
      X