C2750D4I - IPMI Working - Board itself will not power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C2750D4I - IPMI Working - Board itself will not power on

So I think I have exhausted the Google on this one. I had this board setup on the bench for about 2 days - worked just fine. Installed FreeNAS and was doing some stress testing to the drives before I loaded my data. I made some changes and decided to give it a reboot and that is where things went sideways.

Initially I couldn't even get to the IPMI - it was showing a link to my switch - but it wouldn't ARP. I ended up moving it to it's own switch with just a laptop and I was finally able to get back into the IPMI. It seems "OK" but if I try to power on the server via the interface or the front button - nothing happens. If I remove power and re-apply the case fans spin for about 3 seconds and then stop.

The board is showing 2 green lights - one of which(One near the memory slot) will start blinking after about 30 seconds - I think this is the IPMI light.

What I haven't tried at this point is trying to short the CMOS to see if that is related but from what I have found it hasn't solved anything.

I am not sure what I am missing here - there aren't a heck of alot of knobs here to spin. My memory is on the HCL

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it
    Last edited by zhodd; 12-06-2014, 09:44 PM. Reason: typo!

Re: C2750D4I - IPMI Working - Board itself will not power on

Updating my own thread - this has reached odd.

I had this in a Silverstone DS380B enclosure - and I was able to narrow this down to some VERY strange behavior. If I plug the power supply (SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W) into the two molex connectors that power the drive cage - it doesn't boot. As soon as I unplug those - it boots up everytime. Now obviously this is an issue since I can't power the disks until I sort this out.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before. I am not even sure what to blame at this point

Comment

zhodd,

That sounds like a very odd problem, but it doesn't sound like the mini-ITX board is involved, but more related to the PSU or drive cage. I suggest that you contact Silverstone and ask them about this.

FWIW, I have my C2750D4I running on a Corsair RM450 PSU in a Fractal Node 304 case.

Comment

Originally posted by zhodd View Post
        Updating my own thread - this has reached odd. I had this in a Silverstone DS380B enclosure - and I was able to narrow this down to some VERY strange behavior. If I plug the power supply (SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W) into the two molex connectors that power the drive cage - it doesn't boot. As soon as I unplug those - it boots up everytime. Now obviously this is an issue since I can't power the disks until I sort this out. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before. I am not even sure what to blame at this point
        I have this exact same problem. I first noticed that it would only power on when only a couple of drives, or none, where plugged in. I've replaced the RAM with one that was specifically on the supported list, and I even replaced the motherboard. I also have this PSU and case. Did you end up figuring it out? My next step is to get a different PSU.

Comment

Try to recreate the scernario of not powering on with the number of HDD you had, then log in to MegaRac via IPMI to see in Server Health what power rail has reported an error.

Bill
          TSD
          [email protected]

Comment

To completely revisit this thread - problem ended up being a bad rail on the power supply - 12v went bad about 3 days after use. I have a replacement and it has been fine for a couple months now

Comment

To completely revisit this thread - problem ended up being a bad rail on the power supply - 12v went bad about 3 days after use. I have a replacement and it has been fine for a couple months now
              Thank you for the update zhodd!

Comment

I have had this Exact issue before with all the Exact same hardware (all brand new), I RMA'd the power supply and it worked fine for a very short period and now it's happening again. I have the same exact mobo, psu, and case. I'm curious to know exactly what's going on and what my best bet would be. Currently my server is sitting dead, waiting to decide on another PSU or maybe something is weird with the drive cage backplane causing the PSU to fail. The second go around I even ran the power to the drive cage backplane from two different ports on the PSU in hopes to lessen the stress on the one rail or w/e it is. Anyone have any thoughts on this PSU model (Silverstone ST45SF-G) and why this is happening/maybe recommend a better model? Thanks.
                Last edited by Rezendes; 06-07-2015, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Any help?

Comment

My server is still down and I am not sure what to do... Should I be starting a new thread with all this info copy/pasted or assume that nobody has any input on the situation?

Comment

Problem Solved. 8 drives x 1.75 Amps = 14 Amps, the Silverstone ST45SF-G only supports 14 Amps on it's +5V rail... Switch to the non-modular version of this same PSU (Silverstone ST45SF) which supports 22 Amps on the +5V rail.

Comment

Working...
                      X