X99 OC Formula can't disable speedstep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X99 OC Formula can't disable speedstep

I have an X99 OC Formula, 5930K and USB Roland Quad-Capture sound card and VLC audio stutters in Direct3D mode (DirectDraw/OpenGL mode is better, but not perfect). I believe this might be caused by SpeedStep (or whatever is throttling the CPU). CPU-Z shows it bouncing between x11 and x44 (I've OC'ed to 4.4Ghz). The only OC settings I've tweaked is the vcore and multiplier. RAM is stock XMP 2400 settings. I tried disabling SpeedStep and c-states, but it seems to have had no effect in Windows 8.1. My energy profile is set to High Performance and before disabling SpeedStep, I went in and made sure "Minimum processor state" was at 100% (no effect). CPU-Z still shows it bouncing between x11 and x44. What settings do I need to set to peg my multiplier at 44 so I can at least rule throttling out as a possible cause of USB audio glitches?
    Last edited by cowtung; 12-05-2014, 01:52 PM.

Re: X99 OC Formula can't disable speedstep

Using a program called ThrottleStop, I can see the multiplier bounce around with a higher frequency than I could with CPU-Z. It goes nuts, it's all over the place, until I stress it, which pegs it at x44 and the temps go to 70C and the fans kick in. ThrottleStop is supposed to be able to enable and disable all the throttling stuff, but nothing has any effect, except disabling Turbo brings me down to stock x35. Is there a bug in the latest version of the OC Formula bios? I updated it a couple days ago.

Can anybody with the OC Formula confirm that they disabled SpeedStep and C-states and CPU-Z and/or ThrottleStop show no throttling in Windows 8.1?

Comment

Re: X99 OC Formula can't disable speedstep

For anyone interested, I got a new BIOS from AsRock tech support which successfully disables SpeedStep. I can now rule SpeedStep out as the culprit in my USB audio woes.

Comment

Working...
      X