z97 Extreme 6 (usb device bootable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z97 Extreme 6 (usb device bootable)

Hi guys, i read a post where is written that isn't possibile install an operating system (windows 7) as first installation from usb because all usb ports on the rear panel are useless until you install an operating system and can install the drivers for them. It's true? Thanks in advance

Re: z97 Extreme 6 (usb device bootable)

I think that applies to USB 3.0 but not USB 2.0, that's the reason that USB mice and keyboards can work during POST..
    For sure I can install an OS from my USB ext DVD drive when plugged into any USB 2.0 port, but not USB 3.0 on any MB's I own (edit see my post below).
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-04-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
      I think that applies to USB 3.0 but not USB 2.0, that's the reason that USB mice and keyboards can work during POST..
      For sure I can install an OS from my USB ext DVD drive when plugged into any USB 2.0 port, but not USB 3.0 on any MB's I own.
      Thanks for the reply. The usb on the real pannel are only usb 3.0. I think that usb 3.0 work under KB and mouse but i don't know.
      What do you think?

Comment

Yes, all the USB ports on this board's IO panel are only USB 3.0 ports, that is the problem. I have this board and I did have a problem the the USB 3.0 ports when I used the board for the first time.

But I cannot remember if I was unable to use one of the USB 3.0 ports to install Windows from a USB flash drive, which is what I normally do!!

I know that I had problems with a USB keyboard and mouse before I installed Windows. The mouse would not be consistently recognized in the BIOS/UEFI, and even a wired USB keyboard would not work right when connected to a USB 3.0 port on the IO panel.

There is an option in the BIOS, USB screen, a compatibility option that might help, but again I can't recall if it worked for me!!

What I did was this: I connected the USB 2.0 ports on my PC case to a USB 2.0 header on the board. I then connected a multi-port USB 2.0 hub to one of the case's USB 2.0 ports. That is how I was able to install Windows from a USB flash drive when the board was new.

I also bought a USB 2.0 four port adapter that fits in a PCI slot in the PC case, and connected that to the board. I use that now for the keyboard and mouse connections.

When I got this board, it only had the first BIOS version available, so maybe a later BIOS version fixes this problem, but I really don't know if that is the case.

You can always test if you can use a USB 3.0 port with your USB flash drive. Also, use the Intel USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel, two of them are next to the Intel network chip input jack on the IO panel. Some of the other USB 3.0 port use the ASMedia USB 3.0 hub chip.

Windows 8 or 8.1 might install easier on a USB 3.0 port because it has a built in USB 3.0 driver. Windows 7 does not have a USB 3.0 driver.

Comment

I'm going to update my previous reply.
          I have this MB and thought I was using the PS/2 connector for my KB / Mouse, as it happens I had it all working via my USB 3.0 port. I was using the Intel port when I installed the OS.

I had the latest Bios.

I selected all the BIOS options to work with USB 2.0 or 3.0 that Parsec mentions. The ASMedia ports are under the PS/2 port.

Comment

Working...
          X