Problem installing Windows XP on ASRock AM1H-ITX system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing Windows XP on ASRock AM1H-ITX system

Already posted this in the Motherboards forum but just found this one, so apologies for the double post.

I was running Windows 7 64 bit on the system and have been trying to install XP on a separate partition on the same hard drive. I've been following a couple of very good guides which cover all the pitfalls etc and I'm happy that the process I'm using works well. The issue is with actually getting XP to install.

I've tried numerous ways and with numerous copies collected over the years but all have failed. My preferred method is always flashing the install to a USB drive and I've had good success with this. There's no on-board Optical drive. I normally use Rufus which has worked on every system so far, but I just get a blinking cursor on a black screen when I start the installation. I've also tried using WinToFlash which at least gets past the blinking cursor, but won't get past the 'Starting Windows' screen after which it would normally allow a partition to be chosen & formatted for the install etc. I get a blue crash screen. I've tried also using a CD via USB but it crashes at the same point. I did actually get past this on one occasion and the install completed, but it wouldn't boot. This was a one-off for some reason.

Are there any BIOS/hardware changes I can make? I've tried this with 3 different USB sticks. Do I need to be loading drivers at the point of install? I installed Windows 7 using the same method and it worked flawlessly, just getting nowhere with XP.

Any ideas?

Just to add, I've now reformatted the drive to NTFS with 3 partitions, and am trying to install XP on the first partition which is 50GB, so it is a clean install, but still a problem installing.

Re: Problem installing Windows XP on ASRock AM1H-ITX system

Two questions, which SATA port are you using for the OS drive, the ASMedia or AMD?

What SATA mode are you using for the SATA interface (AMD or ASMedia)? IDE or AHCI?

XP does not have an AHCI driver built in, while Windows 7 does. The lack of the driver may be causing the XP installation problem.

I can't find an AMD or ASMedia "F6" driver that is loaded during the OS installation on any of your board's download pages.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Two questions, which SATA port are you using for the OS drive, the ASMedia or AMD?

What SATA mode are you using for the SATA interface (AMD or ASMedia)? IDE or AHCI?

XP does not have an AHCI driver built in, while Windows 7 does. The lack of the driver may be causing the XP installation problem.

I can't find an AMD or ASMedia "F6" driver that is loaded during the OS installation on any of your board's download pages.
      I did switch to IDE, but will check which SATA port it's connected to. Are there any generic drivers which are known to work?

Comment

The HD was connected to a regular SATA port, not an ASRock port, but I did try switching to SATA 2. I managed to get XP to install, but it won't boot, saying that the hal.dll file is missing or corrupt. Get the feeling that a regular XP install just isn't possible without loading mobo drivers so will try that. Anyone else had this issue?

Comment

Finally got XP to boot! I hadn't realised that WinToFlash gives you a way around the hal.dll error - option 2 when booting from USB, and the installation completed. Now my dual boot Windows 7 installation keeps crashing. Will keep trying.

Comment

SATA ports 1 & 2 are AMD while A1 & A2 are AsMedia ports.
            On this board, XP works only with IDE mode. 7 FYI works on both IDE and AHCI modes. If you have previously installed 7 in AHCI mode, maybe you have to install it again for IDE mode to have both XP and 7 working.

Comment

I found that XP could only be installed in IDE mode, but once installed and the ASMedia SATA drivers loaded it works fine in AHCI mode, provided the SATA cable is switched to one of the ASMedia ports. This is good cos it's faster than IDE. Not sure if the drivers can be slipstreamed in or loaded using F6 during install.

Comment

How did you find that it is faster? How much?

Comment

I haven't measured it to be honest, I just read up on AHCI vs IDE & AHCI is supposed to be faster and it has been introduced to effectively replace IDE, so worth using if it can be implemented, which is why the drivers are available presumably. Be interesting to compare the two but I'm happy to go with the guidance. I'm using the system as a DAW with a 6 channel audio input so asking a lot of the hardware, and it all works fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X