Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 870 Extreme3 support AMD Phenom II X3 B77?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 870 Extreme3 support AMD Phenom II X3 B77?

The AMD Phenom II X3 B77 is not on the support list even though the core type and socket are correct. The only spec that seems to be out is the B77 is listed at 3200MHz and the fastest listed is 3000MHz. It should run fine at 3GHz and may be unlockable to quad core.

Will the bios try anyway, or does it have to be on the numeric list and it will refuse?

Re: Will 870 Extreme3 support AMD Phenom II X3 B77?

The Phenom II X3 B77 may not be included in the CPU support list because it is considered a "business oriented" processor that is not normally available or used by consumers.

Otherwise I don't see any reason why it would not work like other members of the Heka processor family. The main compatibility issue is usually the CPU's TDP, and yours at 95W is well within the limits of this board.

That's the best I can tell you, which is not a 100% guarantee it will work, but I would be surprised if it didn't work.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I was worried that the bios could compare the Micro's model number to its list and refuse. I feel comfortable that the settings available will allow me to actually run it, even if not at its maximum settings. (The other similar processors show 3GHz as the fastest, while this one lists 3.2GHz capable).

I will update this thread with my results.

The B75 and the B77 are cheap if you can find them and list surprising performance for the price.

Thanks again!

Comment

Usually a CPU that is not listed in the support list just won't work because it cannot function with the processor "microcode" that is part of the BIOS file. In that case nothing happens, no POST or boot of the OS, nothing displayed on the screen, unable to enter the BIOS, and a POST code of 00 is displayed if the board has that feature.

The board or BIOS does not check the processor ID against a list of processors and then displays an error message like "Unsupported processor found", although the list may make it seem that way.

I see other processor types that run at higher speeds than your B77, and the speed is not that much higher, so that alone is probably not the limitation, if there is one.

Comment

Working...
        X