X99X Fan Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X99X Fan Control

I recently built a full system using the X99X motherboard and have a question about the fan controls. I have 2 Noctua PWM fans on a Corsair H105 AIO cooler hooked to the CPU fan control 1 header on the motherboard and they are controllable from software. However, I have several other Corsair non PWM (3 pin) fans in the case that I would like to control as well.

My questions are:
    1) Are any of the 3 pin fan headers on the motherboard capable of controlling fan speed from software (CPU fan 2, Chassis Fans, Power Fan)
    2) Can the other 4 pin fan header (Chassis Fan) be used with a 3 pin fan (using an adapter cable) to control fan speed

Can't seem to find any documentation regarding this yet.

Thanks,
    Asenna

Re: X99X Fan Control

Something does not make sense. You mention software control, do you mean in the BIOS or your board's F-Stream Utility?

Both should have controls for the Chassis fans, in F-Stream, FanTastic Tuning, in the drop down list, CPU fan is listed by default, but the others are there.

The BIOS has the same fan control configurations that F-Stream does. You can use both or either one, but the BIOS settings will be used unless you auto run F-Stream and the FanTastic Tuning options when the PC boots.

CPU FAN 2 works with CPU Fan 1 as a pair, they are not individually controllable.

The Power Fan header on most if not all boards has no control associated with it at all. It is meant to provide full power to a fan or other device constantly.

I have never seen an adapter cable that makes a three pin fan controllable by a four pin PWM header, I doubt that exists.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Something does not make sense. You mention software control, do you mean in the BIOS or your board's F-Stream Utility?

Both should have controls for the Chassis fans, in F-Stream, FanTastic Tuning, in the drop down list, CPU fan is listed by default, but the others are there.

The BIOS has the same fan control configurations that F-Stream does. You can use both or either one, but the BIOS settings will be used unless you auto run F-Stream and the FanTastic Tuning options when the PC boots.

CPU FAN 2 works with CPU Fan 1 as a pair, they are not individually controllable.

The Power Fan header on most if not all boards has no control associated with it at all. It is meant to provide full power to a fan or other device constantly.

I have never seen an adapter cable that makes a three pin fan controllable by a four pin PWM header, I doubt that exists.
      Thanks! I was wondering how the BIOS and F-Stream handled that. I wish the manual would have been more clear on the fan header controls. My wish is for the motherboard to throttle the fans based on heat load rather than full tilt all the time with the case fan PCB. I will use the info you gave me to test it out.

Comment

My pleasure!

You should have a Customize option for most if not all of your fan headers, except the Power Fan, and the CPU Fan 2 header which is paired with CPU Fan 1.

My ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board has the Customize option for each Chassis fan, where you can choose what temperature is monitored. You can choose CPU temp, or mother board temp. CPU temp is far more variable than the board, so choose that one. CPU Fan has the Customize setting too.

Then you choose the CPU temp and fan speed percentage, which allows good speed control. If you use different fans at various locations in the PC case, which is common, you must consider the maximum fan speed and how loud the fan gets (and how much noise bothers you) when you choose the speed percentage for each fan.

FanTastic Tuning has a "Fan Test" button for each fan with a Customize setting. Be sure to run that once to calibrate the speed vs percentage for each fan. One small thing, when the fan test is complete, it is left running at 100%, and you must apply the fan curve displayed for that fan.

Yes, the manual's description is not at all complete, just experiment with the options and if you have questions let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X