Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really need help as to what is best setup for cooling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really need help as to what is best setup for cooling.

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/74-chassin-och-nataggregat/1283945-newton-600w-define-trasig-4770k/#post14450237
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM.

Re: Really need help as to what is best setup for cooling.

The ARC Midi R2 has one fan controller on it. There is one 4pin molex that powers it from the PSU with the three 3pin fan connectors running from the controller to power/control the attached fans.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Changing fan speed on R4 freezes computer - [H]ard|Forum
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

DO NOT connect/power your H100i from the R2's fan controller.

Comment

There is no reason to connect the fans of the H100i to the fan controller in your case.

The H100i has one cable that connects to the pump for the fans, the other end has two connectors, one for each fan. So both fans are easily connected to the pump, and their speed is controlled by the pump. Actually, given a second cable like that and two more fans, four fans can be powered and controlled by the pump's built in fan controller.

I know the instructions for the Corsair 'H' coolers can be pretty poor, but I would explore the product before deciding something as basic as connecting the fans cannot be done. The Corsair Link software also provides fan control, but can be difficult to get working.

I have a Fractal R4 case, and never had any problems using the 7V setting. OTOH, if Fractal used the 12V and 5V wiring trick to create the 7V setting, that is pretty ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            There is no reason to connect the fans of the H100i to the fan controller in your case.

The H100i has one cable that connects to the pump for the fans, the other end has two connectors, one for each fan. So both fans are easily connected to the pump, and their speed is controlled by the pump. Actually, given a second cable like that and two more fans, four fans can be powered and controlled by the pump's built in fan controller.

I know the instructions for the Corsair 'H' coolers can be pretty poor, but I would explore the product before deciding something as basic as connecting the fans cannot be done. The Corsair Link software also provides fan control, but can be difficult to get working.

I have a Fractal R4 case, and never had any problems using the 7V setting. OTOH, if Fractal used the 12V and 5V wiring trick to create the 7V setting, that is pretty ridiculous.
            Maybe that came across wrong, Im not planning on powering the h100 from the case its off the PSU ( i filled out the hardware like u asked). My main question is it ok to get rid of the fan speed controller that came with the R2 (5-7-12v) and connect the 3 140mm fans into the MOBO chassis connections. (Prev on Asus it showed u the RPM and let you set slow med and fast). Or is it a good idea to get
            8-Way PWM splitter box with sata connection - Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit and slit off the CPU input?
            I dont understand why the CPU fan has both a 4 pin out and a 3 pin (corsair told me to connect to 3 pin even though it only actually has one lead in there)

Or is there another better play that you guys recommend?

Thanks,
            Sebastian

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              I just got the Node 304 case for my nas build, and I took a look at their fan "controller". The one I have is marked "FAN06 REV: A" and I can confirm that it hooks up the fans between the 12V and 5V rails in their "7V" mode.

I confirmed this in two ways:
              1. There are only two things on that board: the 3-way switch, and the connector (ie: no active electronics to generate 7V from 12V)
              2. Direct measurement (multimeter) confirming that the 5V rail is connected to what should have been GND in the "7V mode".

In my opinion as an electronic engineer by education and trade this is a poor design practice, since a power supply is normally designed to supply current, not sink it back from a higher voltage rail.

I would not recommend anyone to use this - I have completely removed the fan board + cables from my case.

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding your needs, but it seems to me that the best option would be to simply use mobo connections for all fans. I use the Swiftech H240-X liquid cooler, which comes with the 8-Way PWM splitter box, which I attempted to use at first for the radiator fans. But the stupid thing didn't throttle the fans properly, causing a lot of noise. I finally took the pump/splitter box off the CPU fan connector and put it on Chasis-1 (4-pin), and put the radiator fans on CPU 1 (4-pin) and CPU 2 (3-pin) connectors (Noctuas are my choice for silence), rear fan on Chasis-2 and bottom fan on Chasis-3 (4 fans, 1 pump total). The fan controls on the X99 OC Formula board are really great, and I suspect your board's fan controls are probably good too. The H240-X pump is noisy as hell at anything above minimum speed, so I have that pegged to minimum speed until 60C, which works fine. The mobo controls the rest of the case fans well, but make sure that you set it to throttle based on CPU temp, rather than mobo temp. I suggest you just do what I did, and you should have no problems and don't have to worry about weird voltage issues.
                Last edited by cowtung; 12-04-2014, 03:56 PM. Reason: clarification and more info

Comment

Working...
                X