• CPU overheating in BIOS [ASROCK FM2 A78M-HD+]

Hello,

I just build myself a AMD gaming gear with:

Motherboard: ASROCK FM2 A78M-HD+
    CPU: AMD A8-6600k 3.90Ghz
    RAM: 8gb 1600Mhz
    GPU: Sapphire R7 260X OC 2GB GDDR5
    PSU: 500W

Everything works perfectly in windows (good temperature, memory, etc) but when i go to Bios, my cpu temperature is rising from 37C to almost 62-70C in 2-3 minutes and i don't know why. I checked all the setups also i used "default settings", update bios but without succes. I changed the thermal paste, CPU fan and the chassis fan...same problem. The machine is not overcloked. Should i'l be worried about this problem or everything is normal?

Thanks in advance!

Re: CPU overheating in BIOS [ASROCK FM2 A78M-HD+]

Your CPU at that temperature in the BIOS, 62-72C (74C is the maximum temperature) is not normal, something is wrong.

If you are really sure the CPU temperature in Windows does not get that high, then you can live with the BIOS temperature problem, but I would want to know why that happens.

Questions, what CPU cooler are you using now?

When you go into the BIOS, into the HW Monitor screen, you should see the CPU fan(s) speed(s). Are they slower than when in Windows?

What is the default setting for the CPU Fan speed in the BIOS? Do you use the A-Tuning software, and have it run when Windows starts? If you do, the CPU fan speed setting in A-Tuning may be faster than the BIOS setting, and the fan is running very slowly when in the BIOS.

You should see a CPU voltage in the HW Monitor screen, what is it?

Also when in the BIOS, the CPU power saving options are not active, only after booting into Windows. The default BIOS settings will have the power saving options enabled, which is probably why your CPU temperature is better in Windows.

What do you use to check the CPU temperature in Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Your CPU at that temperature in the BIOS, 62-72C (74C is the maximum temperature) is not normal, something is wrong.

If you are really sure the CPU temperature in Windows does not get that high, then you can live with the BIOS temperature problem, but I would want to know why that happens.

Questions, what CPU cooler are you using now?

When you go into the BIOS, into the HW Monitor screen, you should see the CPU fan(s) speed(s). Are they slower than when in Windows?

What is the default setting for the CPU Fan speed in the BIOS? Do you use the A-Tuning software, and have it run when Windows starts? If you do, the CPU fan speed setting in A-Tuning may be faster than the BIOS setting, and the fan is running very slowly when in the BIOS.

You should see a CPU voltage in the HW Monitor screen, what is it?

Also when in the BIOS, the CPU power saving options are not active, only after booting into Windows. The default BIOS settings will have the power saving options enabled, which is probably why your CPU temperature is better in Windows.

What do you use to check the CPU temperature in Windows?
      -I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 612PWM.
      -The stats in the BIOS are the same with the stats in the windows (CPU Fan Speed 779 RPM, Chassis Fan 1976 RPM) but when i stay in BIOS to long, this stats are rising up (voltage, RPM's, CPU heat).
      -The voltage stays on 1.3V but not for long as i say above.
      -I use ASROCK A-Tuning just for information about my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Bogdan View Post
        -I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 612PWM.
        -The stats in the BIOS are the same with the stats in the windows (CPU Fan Speed 779 RPM, Chassis Fan 1976 RPM) but when i stay in BIOS to long, this stats are rising up (voltage, RPM's, CPU heat).
        -The voltage stays on 1.3V but not for long as i say above.
        -I use ASROCK A-Tuning just for information about my PC.
        In the BIOS, the CPU voltage is 1.3V at first, but then increases as time passes? It increases to what voltage? That is very strange and is not normal, IF that is true.

You said you changed the "CPU fan", so you are not using the fan that came with the CM Hyper 612? Or just a new fan but the same one that comes with the 612?

Assuming it is the same, stock 612 fan, a speed of 779 RPM is low for that fan, it's speed range is 600 - 2000 RPM. You must have the CPU Fan speed setting set to Silent or Standard, you should select a higher speed setting, like Custom and configure the temperatures.

If the CPU voltage is increasing in the BIOS, that would explain why you get a higher temperature in the BIOS, but that is very unusual. I think you should clear the BIOS/CMOS, load the default values in the BIOS, and check the CPU temperature in the BIOS again.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          In the BIOS, the CPU voltage is 1.3V at first, but then increases as time passes? It increases to what voltage? That is very strange and is not normal, IF that is true.

You said you changed the "CPU fan", so you are not using the fan that came with the CM Hyper 612? Or just a new fan but the same one that comes with the 612?

Assuming it is the same, stock 612 fan, a speed of 779 RPM is low for that fan, it's speed range is 600 - 2000 RPM. You must have the CPU Fan speed setting set to Silent or Standard, you should select a higher speed setting, like Custom and configure the temperatures.

If the CPU voltage is increasing in the BIOS, that would explain why you get a higher temperature in the BIOS, but that is very unusual. I think you should clear the BIOS/CMOS, load the default values in the BIOS, and check the CPU temperature in the BIOS again.
          Yes, the voltage is rising and rising. It appears like is overclocking himself...strange. As for the fan, i have set everything in BIOS to "auto/default". Nothing is changed because i have default settings. I will try to set up the fun speed and see what happens. I will edit this post later with the changes.

EDIT: I changed the CPU FAN speed to Performance Mode @ 1320 RPM (Was on Standard) and i lowered the voltage from CPU to 1.33 (Was set to 1.5). Now i have a stable temperature of 49-50C.
          Last edited by Dan Bogdan; 11-10-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X