ASRock X99 Extreme4-Long Boot Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X99 Extreme4-Long Boot Times

Got a new PC the other day with a ASRock X99 Extreme4 board. Although it booted fairly quickly the first day or so it now takes 30 seconds. Sometimes 60 seconds. usually 30.

It sits at the ASRock log screen, showing 4 boot options; F2 Setup, F11 Boot Manager etc. It takes 30 seconds before it boots Windows 8.11 or until the selected 'F' key activates that function.

UEFI version P1.50

I find it interesting that 'Boot Manager' is not even shown in the manual nor can I find info online, but it had the 30 second setting in it.

I had not made any changes to the UEFI. The only thing I had done is selected my CD drive as a boot device to boot off my drive imaging software boot disk. I then set it back to Windows Boot Manager. Maybe something I setup wrong in that process?

I've tried disabling Boot Manager and also setting its time down to 5 seconds (it was at 30 seconds which is why I suspected it) but no changes to Boot Manager have made a difference.

The first boot device is listed as Windows Boot Manager.

I know I can switch to quick boot but I would prefer to figure out why this started occurring and correct the settings first. I'd like to see if this is correctable before updating the Bios to 1.60 as well.

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by Mudbone; 11-08-2014, 01:59 PM.

Re: ASRock X99 Extreme4-Long Boot Times

Eh, updated to P1.60 and now it boots normally.

I still have no idea what Boot Manager does.

By the way, used their Internet Flash feature to update the Bios and it worked great.

Comment

A boot list entry of "Windows Boot Manager" is normally displayed when the PC is configured for true UEFI booting. Also, entries like that don't appear without certain settings in the BIOS/UEFI, and the drives configured in a certain way. That is, assuming your board's UEFI settings have default values that are not the usual ones.

Since you use Windows 8.1, is Secure Boot enabled?

No mention of the OS drive in that PC, is it formatted as GPT? A fresh installation of Windows 8.1?

What SATA mode are you using?

Comment

Boot Manager: I am using 'Windows Boot Manager' as the first boot device under the 'Boot' tab. the 'Boot Manager' I am referring to is a setting under the 'Tools' tab that you can enable or disable, adjust the timeout, and then, it looks like, list boot devices in order. Mine were empty by default and I have left them that way. It's not causing me a problem, I was just curious as to the purpose as I cannot find it documented as a setting in the X99 Extreme4 manual.

I have not enabled SecureBoot yet. I plan to but am a little nervous as to potentially locking myself out. I have no experience with it. Recommended to use?

The main drive is an ADATA SP900 128 GB SSD. I did do a reformat of the partition the OS was installed on and a reinstall of Win8.1 clean last night. As for GPT, I think it was GPT because, until I chose the UEFI DVD boot Win8.1 would not let me install and had a message that included 'GPT'. I did not wipe and format the whole drive, just the single partition of 118 GB that had the OS on it. When I view the SSD drive in 'Disk Management' in Win8.1 it says NTFS. Did I screw up?

Edit: Ok, checked the drives in 'Disk Management' and all are listed as GPT.

SATA in UEFI is 3.
        Last edited by Mudbone; 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X