Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating bios do not work. Asrock Z87 extreme 6

Hi
    I try to update the bios but no method works.
    I Have done it before and then it was no problem.
    But now, nothing.
    I have tried the both methods, the windows method (messed up my bios so had to revert to bios b and copy that to a) and also the method I prefer from ufi (bios).
    If we take the ufi metod, I use a usb stick, fat 32 and the file and put it on the usb 2 on the rear (done it before, with no problem) and it finds the file, but nothing happens.

And having a second problem:
    I can not shut off the computor (win 8.1 pro), evry time I shut down it reboots after a couple of second.
    And it driving me mad.
    Have tried evrything I have found about this problem, but nothing helps.
    Have not reinstaled windows, but soon having no more option.

This motherboard have been alot of problem, have to buy add on card to get 4 of my samsung hdd to work with it, which is the reason i bought this motherboard so I would not have to buy add on cards (its many s-ata contact)
    Last edited by Pat999; 11-06-2014, 03:34 AM.

Re: Updating bios do not work. Asrock Z87 extreme 6

I use the same board as you do, Z87 Extreme 6, and have never had any problem with BIOS updates.

You said you had to use the backup B BIOS, did you remember to change the switch back to the A position? If not, you are using the B BIOS that cannot be updated, it sounds like that might be your problem.

I do not have a restarting problem like you do, and I use Windows 8.1.

Did you try using your Samsung HDDs on the ASMedia SATA ports? If so, the ASMedia SATA driver does not work very well. Are you using the Windows 8.1 SATA driver, storahci?

Did you try the new ASMedia SATA driver from this board's download page, it should work with your board, the ASMedia chip is the same. Scroll down to find: ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:2.0.8.0

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Comment

No using A, as I thought, never mess with B as this is my safety line. :)
      Before no problem, but now, impossible to update.
      It finds the file it then it only stand there, mouse working but nothing happens if I click the x (close message box) so have to click reset on chassis.

I solved the restart on Shut down problem, by doing a Cmos clear.
      Now I can manged without bios update as I solved the problem that made me want to upgrade the bios.
      But still somewhat irritating that it do not work.

I tried every set up there is for the hdd, put in many weeks to solve the problem. But basically it keep losing my drives or they sounded very strange, I Google it and found outer people with same problem.
      But it was not every samsung it was only my the 2 tb disc (Officourse it was the ones I have most of, 4) other samsung and other manufactures disc working fine.
      Now they are on an add on card and working fine, so have left that problem, as it already taking to much of my times (weeks) and do not dear to mess with something that is working. :)

Thank you for taking time on my problems.

I think you feel the same as me, this is not a Motherboard you just go and buy, this is a motherboard that you first research and then choose, and as such It is a pity it has this problem and making it worse windows 8.1 has it fair share of bug, so you never know if it is the mother board that is causing the problem or if it is a win 8.1 problem (like losing all the usb ports, famous win 8.1 problem)

Comment

One possibility about your HDDs, are you using the Intel IRST driver, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility from the download page, in AHCI or RAID mode? In the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, is Dynamic Storage Accelerator enabled?

If you use both of those, there are power saving features built into that driver that might be causing the problem. Link State Power Management may be enabled, and the Dynamic Storage Accelerator setting might be set to lowest setting in the IRST Windows program. The first option will turn off the drives when not used, and the drives might not like that feature. The second option also might not work well with them.

If you are not using the IRST driver, it might help to try it, but disable the power saving features. Did you check your Windows Power Plan setting for HDDs, it may be set to turn them off after a while.

Also in the Storage Configuration screen in the BIOS, if Aggressive SATA Link Power Management is enabled, that can cause problems with some drives.

Does Samsung have a firmware update for those drives?

I use Windows 8.1 with this board, and besides the ASMedia SATA controller, both have worked fine for me.

The Z87 chipset (provides the Intel SATA ports) is not compatible with certain models of older SSDs, because Intel made the SATA standards more strict, or adopted a new SATA standard (3.1). That might be related to your HDD problems.

Comment

Working...
        X