Z97 Extreme4 - General Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme4 - General Question

What is the maximum power draw for the fan connectors?

Asking because I can't find it in the documentation, and I'm looking at a PWM pump for my next build.

I'm not looking for a "yeah that will work." I would like specific information so that I may plan accordingly.

Re: Z97 Extreme4 - General Question

I found a general answer in another thread.
    Specific information if it is available would be great though.

Comment

The problem is, what is the source of the fan power spec, if it is not in the board's manual, and it isn't in the manual.

Mother board reviews don't test the fan headers for power capacity, unfortunately, and if they did a thorough test without an upper limit, it would damage the board. I'd love to see that but don't expect to.

I've seen third hand information in a thread somewhere that said the CPU fan headers are 1A/12W max on an ASRock board, and the chassis fans were only 0.5A/6W.

If the fan headers had a capacity greater than 1A/12W, marketing would brag about it on the board's box and on the board's web page.

Off Topic: If a pump for PC water cooling that used PWM control had a power spec of 1.25A or more, how could it be used directly connected to a mother board header? There are PWM splitter cables that connect directly to the PSU but use the PWM control signal from the board to vary the speed of the fans or pump used with the splitter. That is your best bet if your pump needs more than 1A/12W.

Comment

Thank you for the thoughtful response.
        Your information concurs with what I have found. Thank you for verification. In light of the information I have decided to use a different configuration. It was very helpful on not off topic at all.

Im in excited for when my board arrives.

Comment

Working...
        X