Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breadboarding FAIL H97M Pro4. How would i diagnose a board that won't power on without one of the components?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breadboarding FAIL H97M Pro4. How would i diagnose a board that won't power on without one of the components?

Hello. First of all, everything is working fine, but this motherboard seems really stupid and it might only support diagnostics in a specialized lab.

here are the breadboarding tests:

-power supply + mobo + cpu + ram = everything powers up just fine with video output and ok post
    -power supply + mobo + cpu = NO SPEAKER BEEPS and failure to get power in board, no fans started, although there is a small twitch, like a dead cooler struggle (how the **** am i supposed to diagnose a failed ram in the future Asrock?)
    -power supply + mobo + cpu but with 8pin atx cable removed this time = same no power output and lack of beeps (how the **** am i supposed to diagnose a vrm failure or board failure and differentiate it from the other failed parts Asrock?) this scenario powered up my dead Asus and old Asrock, and all the classic boards for that matter

To understand where i'm coming from and why i might be seen as a rant, you need to know that my last Asrock failed 2 weeks ago, right one month after warranty and i've been falling apart. It stopped powering on one morning after 2 years of normal use(model b75M-gl). I've tried all possible combinations and breadboarding. The only way power was getting in and fans started spinning, was after i removed the 4pin atx cable. I've read online that's a vrm/mosfet failure symptom and i was convinced all other parts in my system were fine, except the Asrock. So after having no where to test 'old' components, i've ordered a replacement on that socket(1155), from Asus this time thinking it has surge protection and incredibly low vrm reported failures online. Buy what a mistake! After 3 days of waiting in distress, my heart almost stopped when my i3 cpu failed to work in this triple checked compatible Asus board. There was no video output and after all breadboarding combinations, no beeps were outputed through my case speaker. It's been a nightmare finding someone with chipset 1155 in a ****ty small town, but i've finally tested the Asus and i3. Turned out the i3 was fried(possibly by the old Asrock board), and the Asus came DOA. That's bull****! But testing was at least possible, due to power starting everything, despite the no video signal or speaker output.

Now, the new order came in, an Asrock H97M Pro4 along with a i5 Haswel Refresh. What a waste, as there are small differences from the old ivy bridge i3 i've owned, but this time i knew low end parts were not an option.

So my topic point being breadboarding... In the future, how the hell am i supposed to test this H97M Pro4 stupid board, in case something fails??? if it's not powering up at all without one of the components removed ?

Re: Breadboarding FAIL H97M Pro4. How would i diagnose a board that won't power on without one of the components?

"no speaker beeps..
    my last Asrock failed 2 weeks ago...
    and after all breadboarding combinations, no beeps ..
    the i3 was fried..."

Did you use everytime the same speaker?

Comment

Re: Breadboarding FAIL H97M Pro4. How would i diagnose a board that won't power on without one of the components?

yes. i have 2

i even tested them both and they're working

btw, check if your i3 is still in warranty on their site
      i've just shipped mine to Holland after contacting them for the RMA.
      They were glad to call me, play for all transportation and send me a new i3 after i've told them all my tests.
      Intel has excellent RMA service.

Comment

Originally posted by tzily View Post
        yes. i have 2
        i even tested them both and they're working
        Then, dunno, try to fix that this way :
        Manufacturing error, bios? pass...

Found only this related to your problem:
        Single review: ASRock H87M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
        and:
        "the thing with these cheap motherboards is that they aren't made to the same
        standards as the more pricey full fledged z97 boards"
        [NCIX] Intel G3258 + Asrock H97M Pro4 MB = Cheap Performance! - Page 3 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

I bought mine Z87 Extreme 4 based on this list below (link), got everywhere 3 from the max 4,
        and the awards/reviews: ASRock > Z87 Extreme4
        Now check your mb's... not one listed... and as I see this is a new mb, so for me carries a risk...
        (big image)

No problems here, however not tested every port one-by-one...
        But I can tell you, my speaker is in a good condition and sings like a bird
        so I can send you free "beeeeep"s, here is one:
        BEEEEEEEEEP
        Read back this next time, when you turn on your machine :)

along with a i5 Haswel Refresh
        btw, check if your i3 is still in warranty on their site
        I have an i5 H. R. also like yours, and that isn't faulty.
        But these have got a new built-in feature:

but this time i knew low end parts were not an option.
        Ohh, just saw your other 3 post (grinning:) ....

Comment

Working...
        X