ALiveXFire. Power on LED location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALiveXFire. Power on LED location

Where is the LED that shows power is going to the MoBo? I see no lights on my MoBo......trying to figure out if it's bad or not.

Also, there are NO beeps...........

I've also tried a different power supply........same results.

Thx.
    Last edited by Zardiw; 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM.
    Win7 x64
    ASRock FM2A88X Ext6+, Bios v. 1.80
    AMD A10 5700 Quad Core
    GSkill Memory: 8G, 2x4G
    Samsung 32G SSD as Boot Drive
    Power: LEPA G600-MB:

Re: ALiveXFire. Power on LED location

Good question, I can't find one by looking at pictures of the board.

Many boards, when they are connected to a power supply and it is turned on for the first time, won't light up the power LED. That is normal.

You'll just need to start the board to see if it has power from the PSU.

Comment

Re: ALiveXFire. Power on LED location

Ok. Solved this problem.

I still don't see an LED light up on this MoBo. I'm almost sure there used to be one that lit up when the power supply was turned on.......but maybe not....at any rate I can't see one light up now. And it's a surface mount tiny LED from what I recall.

What fixed it:

1. Pulled the CMOS battery and checked for voltage: Over 3 V so that wasn't the problem. These batteries hardly ever go dead. That battery's been in there a lot of years from what I recall.

2. Noticed the CMOS jumper and thought I'd clear CMOS while I was at it (Move the jumper to the other 2 pins from the first 2 it was connected to and then move it back)

3. Same result.

4. Pulled the video card and tried to power it up again......................GOT BEEPS..........8 of em...which means the video card is bad/pulled....and it WAS....

5. Got a new video card from my supply and installed it.

Everything works now..................WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

SO, the lessons to be learned.......MoBo's rarely go bad from my experience.

So first try a new power supply........

Then pull the video card......

That in itself should make her beep.......

Clear CMOS.

Try to disconnect power to everything except the MoBo (the big 20 pin connector and the little 4 prong one or any other connectors to the MoBo), one at a time and see if you get beeps. (Hard Drives, etc).

.......imo the usual culprit is the power supply. Even if fans turn and crap....I've had it be the power supply when nothing showed up on the monitor.....

Next in line is the video card.......

Good Luck.........

And it's a very GOOD Idea to keep a spare power supply around. Then you can switch it out......RMA the bad one........and you'll have a spare when they send you a new one.

Also keep a spare cheap Video card around.....if you don't have onboard video that is.

Bottom Line: Check the easiest first....then work your way up.....in this case maybe Clearing CMOS was all I had to do to get a beep......but also had a bad video card, so probably should have pulled/checked that first before switching power supplies....
      z
      Last edited by Zardiw; 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM.
      Win7 x64
      ASRock FM2A88X Ext6+, Bios v. 1.80
      AMD A10 5700 Quad Core
      GSkill Memory: 8G, 2x4G
      Samsung 32G SSD as Boot Drive
      Power: LEPA G600-MB:

Comment

Working...
      X