AsRock Z97 pro 4 won't boot with dual channel memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock Z97 pro 4 won't boot with dual channel memory

I can't boot into bios with ram in any B slot. Both sticks of ram work with A - 1, A - 2, or in both A - 1 and A - 2. When I try to boot with ram in slots A - 1 and B - 1 or A - 2 and B - 2 the CPU fan will turn on, but I just get a blank screen. I'm also running just the CPU, RAM, and Power supply outside the case. I ran memtest86+ on both sticks in the A - 1 and A - 2 slots for 5+ passes each with no error.
    I am running

Logahead - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker

As a heads up I am not very computer savy. Thank you so much for your help.

Re: AsRock Z97 pro 4 won't boot with dual channel memory

I'm not seeing your model of memory in your board's Memory Support List, the HX316C10FK2/8:

ASRock > Z97 Pro4

Does Kingston list that model as compatible with a Z97/Haswell CPU system?

Some memory won't run in dual channel mode, like the Kingston KVR1333D3S8N9HK2/4G memory, according to your board's support list.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I'm not seeing your model of memory in your board's Memory Support List, the HX316C10FK2/8:

ASRock > Z97 Pro4

Does Kingston list that model as compatible with a Z97/Haswell CPU system?

Some memory won't run in dual channel mode, like the Kingston KVR1333D3S8N9HK2/4G memory, according to your board's support list.
      Thank you for the reply! The HX316C10FRK2/16 is listed which is just the red version of my own memory and a 16 gig kit instead of an 8 gig kit. I asked around on a few forums and was told people are running the exact set up as me. I also reached out to Kingston and they told me it does work with this chipset.

Comment

According to Kingston HERE, your HX316C10FK2/8 2x4GB Kit is compatible.

Are you running the latest 1.30 BIOS?

I'd inspect the memory slots themselves. Then, all good there, move on to re-seating the processor.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

AND, you ran MemTEST so I'll assume you noticed that their timings and speed were properly picked up by the BIOS.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thank you for the reply Wardog. I "inspected" the slots, but I am not sure what I am looking for. There doesn't appear to be any thing that looks awry. Can you give me some help in what to look for? I am running the latest bios and I have reset the bios both by removing the battery and using the short jumper thing on my mobo. How long should I remove the battery for when I "reset" and is it equivalent to just using the jumper? The manual says to just jump it for 3-5 seconds and that is what I did.

Oh and yes when I boot with both piece of ram in the A -1 and A -2 slots the timing is correct. And I have reseated the processor 3 or more times now. I assume reseating to just mean taking out the processor, reapplying thermal paste, and putting the stock cooler back on. Is there anything special I need to do?
            Last edited by ohgl; 10-28-2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X