Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASROCK G41M-VS3 R2.0 Incompatibilty with Maxtor Serial ATA 300Gb SATA 3.0 Gb HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK G41M-VS3 R2.0 Incompatibilty with Maxtor Serial ATA 300Gb SATA 3.0 Gb HDD

Monday, October 27th 2014/17:40
    Dear Mr. Tweak,
    My newly installed G41m-vs3 r2.0 ASRock Motherboard ( replacing an ASUS P5P800-VM )
    does not recognize my Maxtor Serial ATA 300Gb SATQA 3.0Gb HDD.
    Tried all the usual remedies and sources where solutions are offered but
    no useable advise found. My old Pentium 4 541 3.20Ghz is installed on the new
    ASRock motherboard and 2x 2Gb XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz memory modules are
    used. startup ends with the ASRock logo and no drives are recognized.
    Connected are 1 Maxtor Diamond10 Serial Ata 300Gb SATA 3.0 Gb HDD and
    a CDrom. My floppy drive is not connected due to no available suitable connections
    from the new board.
    Thanks for any help.
    BruinBrown

Re: ASROCK G41M-VS3 R2.0 Incompatibilty with Maxtor Serial ATA 300Gb SATA 3.0 Gb HDD

IIRC those DM10's had jumpers you could tweak. Have you tried them?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: ASROCK G41M-VS3 R2.0 Incompatibilty with Maxtor Serial ATA 300Gb SATA 3.0 Gb HDD

Tuesday, October 28th 2014/14:22
      DearMr/Mrs Wardog,
      Thanks for your reply.
      Not very much versed with forum mores.
      At registration all necessary info submitted.
      Motherboard issues were scrutinized including psu requirement for new MoBo.
      Old psu for ASUS MoBo 350 Watt replaced by 450Watt psu for ASRock MoBo.
      All relevant info submitted in title
      Thanks again.
      BruinBrown

Comment

Originally posted by BruinBrown View Post
        Monday, October 27th 2014/17:40
        Dear Mr. Tweak,
        My newly installed G41m-vs3 r2.0 ASRock Motherboard ( replacing an ASUS P5P800-VM )
        does not recognize my Maxtor Serial ATA 300Gb SATQA 3.0Gb HDD.
        Tried all the usual remedies and sources where solutions are offered but
        no useable advise found. My old Pentium 4 541 3.20Ghz is installed on the new
        ASRock motherboard and 2x 2Gb XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz memory modules are
        used. startup ends with the ASRock logo and no drives are recognized.
        Connected are 1 Maxtor Diamond10 Serial Ata 300Gb SATA 3.0 Gb HDD and
        a CDrom. My floppy drive is not connected due to no available suitable connections
        from the new board.
        Thanks for any help.
        BruinBrown
        "No drives are recognized." Does that mean in the BIOS of the G41M-VS3 R2.0? In the Boot order or Storage configuration screens? Or do you mean that the PC does not boot from the Maxtor HDD?

What is on the Maxtor HDD, your OS installation? Was that used on the ASUS P5P800-VM board?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          "No drives are recognized." Does that mean in the BIOS of the G41M-VS3 R2.0? In the Boot order or Storage configuration screens? Or do you mean that the PC does not boot from the Maxtor HDD?

What is on the Maxtor HDD, your OS installation? Was that used on the ASUS P5P800-VM board?
          Wednesday, October 29th 2014/14:49
          Dear Mr/Mrs parsec. Thanks for your reply. I noticed my specs are not included in
          my info. I am trying to correct that.
          My Maxtor Diamond10 SATA 3.0Gb is from my previous ASUS P5P800-VM motherboard.
          On this drive my OS Windows XP sp3 was and is loaded. At first startup when I received my
          PC with the new ASRock G41M-VS3R2.0 motherboard back from the PC engineer the
          Windows logo was briefly displayed for a few seconds then the ASRock logo followed also for a brief
          moment and then the system went into a loop starting by the DOS options to Start Windows XP or other
          variations thereof. Via the ASRock logo I could get into the BIOS setup but i could only peruse the content
          and according to me all the connected drives were mentioned. I am using XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz memory
          modules and my old LGA775 socket CPU , a Pentium 4 541 3.20 GHz from my old ASUS Motherboard.
          There is a special mention of jumper settings to be placed with regard to the type of memory modules.
          My engineer probably overlooked this item and I have changed the jumper settings to 2-3 as they were set at 1-2.
          My engineer is costly and my budget ran out. On the internet I sought for solutions and came upon an artcile/solution
          offer by a mr. raymand to update the harddrive controllers without having to face the ""Blue Screen of Death"" as it was put.
          As my present system does not detect/recognize my drives then the use of my cd or usb stick with the ""solution""
          is to no avail. I am sorry for the long story, but I have to be specific and I hope you don't mind.
          Thanks again.
          BruinBrown

Comment

Don't worry about the long explanation, the more information the better.

Before I continue, although I don't know what the understanding was between you and the PC engineer, if he was tasked with getting your PC working again, that was clearly not done, and he owes you free work until that is done.

If your Windows XP SP3 installation is the same one you used with your old ASUS board, that is one possible reason the PC is not booting. Your new board has major differences from the old one, the CPU support chipset (two chips) are not the same, and some of the drivers and other files installed for the old board are not compatible with the new board. That is only one example of the differences that result in a fresh installation of XP for the new board being virtually required.

Unfortunately, that is only one of several other different things that may be the cause of the PC's failure to boot, IF you are using the XP installation from your old board.

So my question is, is that the XP installation used with the old board?

Comment

It reads like his HDD/OS is a transplant into his new build. Hence his further saying " On the internet I sought for solutions and came upon an artcile/solution offer by a mr. raymand to update the harddrive controllers without having to face the ""Blue Screen of Death"". In which case, if in fact that is the case, it sounds like a fresh OS is in order. My 2cents anyways.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              So my question is, is that the XP installation used with the old board?
              Originally posted by BruinBrown View Post
              My Maxtor Diamond10 SATA 3.0Gb is from my previous ASUS P5P800-VM motherboard.
              On this drive my OS Windows XP sp3 was and is loaded. At first startup when I received my
              PC with the new ASRock G41M-VS3R2.0 motherboard back from the PC engineer the
              Windows logo was briefly displayed for a few seconds then the ASRock logo followed also for a brief
              moment and then the system went into a loop starting by the DOS options to Start Windows XP
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                It reads like his HDD/OS is a transplant into his new build. Hence his further saying " On the internet I sought for solutions and came upon an artcile/solution offer by a mr. raymand to update the harddrive controllers without having to face the ""Blue Screen of Death"". In which case, if in fact that is the case, it sounds like a fresh OS is in order. My 2cents anyways.
                Thursday, October 30th 2014/16:08
                Dear Mr./Mrs. Wardog,
                Thanks for your observations.
                I appreciate every cent of input.
                Thanks and regards.
                BruinBrown

Comment

Working...
                X