Z97m Pro4 + Dell U2713H problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97m Pro4 + Dell U2713H problem

I am having issue with the above board and the monitor's usb 3 hub. the motherboard simply wont recognise the usb hub no matter what setting in the bios i use.

my system is
    CPU: i7 4770K
    Mobo: Asrock Z9m Pro4 with P1.40 bio
    Ram: Avexir 32GB Blitz 1
    GFX: Quadro K2000
    HDD: Samsung 840 Pro in raid 0
    Monitor: Dell U2713H

also the monitor is confirmed to be fully functional as I can get it recognised on my laptop

Re: Z97m Pro4 + Dell U2713H problem

Is the monitor driver installed: Dell U2713H Monitor Driver Driver Details | Dell US

No idea what OS you use, but Windows 7 users should install the Intel USB 3.0 driver from your board's download page.

Any way to test the USB 3.0 cable Dell provided with the monitor?

Comment

Yes, win7 64bit
      Latest drivers for dell as well as Intel USB

The problem isn't OS based. The BIOS doesnt even show up the USB ports.

Could it be possible the board is broken?

Comment

USB 3.0 is much more sensitive than USB 2.0 due to it's 10 times higher speed. Only use high quality USB 3.0 cables as short as possible and avoid things like hubs. USB 3.0 is still a technology with much incompatibilities.
        BTW my Dell U2211 has a build in usb 2.0 hub, which was constandly dropping on and off... finally I removed the cable to the mobo...
        ---
        Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

i have a usb 3 cable bought from amazon as well as the one dell supplied none works. also the usb2 cable doesn't even work with the hub with the motherboard's usb3

where all the cables work with the hub on my laptop

Comment

Does it work if you connect it to a USB 2.0 port of the motherboard?
            ---
            Mind is not cumulative, but stupidity is.

Comment

it doesn't work with USB2 either.

Comment

Your board has four Intel USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel, as you know. They should be shown in Device Manager under USB Controllers, and if they had any problems their entries would show that. You can also check the Device Manager entries after connecting the cable from the board to the monitor, which might help diagnose the problem.

The USB 3.0 ports on the board can be easily tested with a USB flash drive or other USB devices.

Personally, I've never had problems using USB 3.0 hub devices and cables with my ASRock boards. I have one eight foot USB 3.0 cable connected to a USB 3.0 hub, and it works fine.

When you said your monitor is fully functional when connected to a laptop, does that include the USB 3.0 ports on the monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Your board has four Intel USB 3.0 ports on the IO panel, as you know. They should be shown in Device Manager under USB Controllers, and if they had any problems their entries would show that. You can also check the Device Manager entries after connecting the cable from the board to the monitor, which might help diagnose the problem.

The USB 3.0 ports on the board can be easily tested with a USB flash drive or other USB devices.

Personally, I've never had problems using USB 3.0 hub devices and cables with my ASRock boards. I have one eight foot USB 3.0 cable connected to a USB 3.0 hub, and it works fine.

When you said your monitor is fully functional when connected to a laptop, does that include the USB 3.0 ports on the monitor?
                  the monitor USB is not being recognised even in BIOS so it will not have showed up in the Device Manager either. The Intel USB3 controllers are working fine. USB3 uplink to monitor works fine on my laptop, also tested with USB2.

Also plugged USB2 uplink to the monitor on the motherboard through USB3 and USB2 ports nothing...it is puzzling me really.

the only thing I can think of is the setting in the BIOS for the USB

I have tried the following combinations:

Intel USB: Smart AUTO and AUTO and Enabled
                  USB3 Legacy: Disabled and Enabled with the above
                  USB Compatibility: Alway ON - if i don't my mouse and keyboard doesn't work in UEFI or windows setup
                  Legacy USB: Enabled otherwise my mouse and keyboard doesn't work in UEFI. I tried UEFI only and mouse and keybaord won't work.

Comment

Yes, that is puzzling, particularly since the laptop USB 3.0 port works.

Does your PC case have any USB 3.0 ports? Those would connect to the USB 3.0 header on your board, which provides two USB 3.0 ports.

If you have that capability, for a test connect the monitor to a USB 3.0 port on your PC case. I'm wondering if the USB 3.0 hub on the monitor won't work with the USB ports on the IO panel, because they don't like being connected to a hub for some reason.

It may work on the laptop because it does not have four physical USB 3.0 ports on it, so it can work with a hub correctly.

Comment

Working...
                    X