Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overclock X99 Fatality, I7-5930K, G-SKILL-3000 - possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclock X99 Fatality, I7-5930K, G-SKILL-3000 - possible?

Hi,

I can't seem to be able to overclock with the X99 Fatality board. As soon as I play with the settings; even the built-in ones, I get an unstable system.

As a starting point, I tried to overclock to 4.0; no luck. Memory works like a charm on XP SP2 settings.

Anyone has had better luck with a similar setup?

tcn.
    X48-ds5; Q9550S, 440MHz FSB, 3.733GHz; NH12CP-SE14; Mushkin 996599 (5-5-5-12, pc2-8500),
    Sapphire HD-5770 Vapor-X, EVGA NVidia 9800GT; Cooler Master HAF932;
    Corsair TX750

Re: Overclock X99 Fatality, I7-5930K, G-SKILL-3000 - possible?

I have an
    X99X Killer fatality, I7 -5920K, Corsair 2666 Vengeance - 16GB. I am running at 4.2 without problems. I did run 4.4 but was unsure of stability and need to try again. I have had difficulty trying to OC the ram however.

Comment

Hi exracer1,

Glad to hear that you are able to overclock. It means my patience ran out before I was able to.

To say you haven't had any luck with the RAM. If you are keeping CPU at stock speed, can you overclock? I was able to run at faster with underclocked memory (if I can say underclock; let's say off of the XP SP2 settings).

Tweaktown has a new article in the guides especially written for me (let's just say that timing is just great). I'll try some things out when I have a few minutes.

Thanks for the feedback,

tcn.
      X48-ds5; Q9550S, 440MHz FSB, 3.733GHz; NH12CP-SE14; Mushkin 996599 (5-5-5-12, pc2-8500),
      Corsair TX750

Comment

Hi tcn,

I took your suggestion and disabled the cpu boost, then set to XMP 2 which is just a slight boost from 2666Mhz to 2800Mhz. It wouldn't even boot. I went back to XMP 1 which is stock @ 2666Mhz and set the CPU to 4.2. It seems stable so far.

Comment

Hi,

Found that the issue is that I can't run the memory at XMP 2.0. I boosted the voltage to 1.4 and couldn't get it to run. Now, is it the motherboard that won't do its job right or the memory modules?

@extracer: I can overclock the CPU at stock memory speed. Since the XMP 2.0 seems to be an issue with you also, I am beginning to be suspicious about the motherboard.....
          Last edited by tcn; 11-05-2014, 04:23 AM. Reason: missing text
          Corsair TX750

Comment

Hi,

My guess is that we need a bios update. Other people are able to run the same memory that I have in XMP 2 option 2 on other boards. I wish ASRock would chime in.

Comment

Hi,

same Problems here.
              Asrock X99X Killer, 5930K and G.Skill 2800.
              Cant boot the System with CPU at Stock and RAM according XMP 2 settings.
              Even with increased DRAM Voltage to 1.35 V and loose timimgs, no Boot.
              I am running the System now at 4.2 Ghz and the RAM at 2666 and 1.25 V.
              Seems to be stable after 2 hours of testing with prime95 and Memtest.
              However, there is something wrong with the Board. We probably need a new BIOS.
              Did anyone try the BetaBios 1.14?

Regards,
              Royblacky

Comment

Hi,
                I’m Davis from ASRock HQ TSD.

This model supports DDR4 3000+(OC)*/2933+(OC)/2800(OC)/2400(OC)/2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory.
                DRAM frequency DDR4-3000 belongs to O.C mode.
                The O.C. mode depends on the whole system configurations, the quality of CPU/Memory modules and other parameters/settings, so we couldn’t guarantee it.
                For DDR4-3000, our performance team tested some DRAM modules on this platform, we recommend users to refer the memory support list for choosing memory.
                Memory Support List: ASRock > Fatal1ty X99X Killer

Thank you very much!

Comment

Hi,

Just a question on pwer supply; how much power should I expect from the X99-Fatal1ty, 16G RAM, i7-5930K, headless? I'm starting to think that I might have been too conservative on the supply.

@Davis, the memory I chose is in the list of modules that passed ASRock's approval for overclock; I always check the lists first.

I can't overclock to anything and be stable....... I thought I was stable; but I'm not.

I have a correction to make to that; I am stable IF prime runs in the CPU; if I blend the test with DDR, it crashes immediately if CPU is not stock. There is definitively something with the RAM; either I must increase a voltage I didn't or the motherboard is not right.

Another edit, I played with the system agent and increased stability of the DDR; playing with it might solve the issue.
                  Last edited by tcn; 11-07-2014, 06:36 AM.
                  Corsair TX750

Comment

Hi,

Finally got most of it; I had to crank the System Agent voltage to quite high actually..... 0.47V ...... I am water cooled, and temps are ..... okay ..... until afetr a while in prime95.

The temperatures are stable under 70 degrees for something like 10 minutes then; for no apparent reason, temperatures are rising suddently (like sudden jump; not a constant climb to) to the high 80s and getting to the 90s (nope, not years here :P).

I have absolutely no clue why. When temperatures are getting too hot, the throttle beggins, I can hear the supply tic each time power drops. This is where I am wondering if 400W for a headless I7-5930K system is enough...... I calculated 140W for CPU and another 40 to 60W for the rest .... Should be enough no? (It's an 80+ platinum rated supply)
                    Corsair TX750

Comment

Hi tcn,

i experience the same behaviour (sudden increase in CPU-Temps of more than 10 degrees) while running prime95.
                      Prime is running with stable temps for about 10 minutes. Then, suddenly temperatur rises into the 80s for a cuple of minutes, followed by a sudden drop back to the 70s.
                      After a few minutes the cycle starts again. While the temperatur increases almost all other parameters stay the same. Monitortools like XTU just show an increase of "CPU Total TDP" from 200 at lowtemp to about 240 Watts at hightemp phases(CPU at 4.2 Ghz). During hightemp phases there is no throttling like temp- power- or current limit.
                      I have no idea what's the reason for this strange behaviour.
                      Another problem to me is that the system seems to be unstable. Several days with gaming with Battlefield or Call of Duty or even running prime95 for hours shows the system is stable.
                      But after a few days suddenly the bootscreen tells me that the system failed to boot several times and the bios is set back to standard.
                      Very strange. To me the mainboard and/or bios appears to be unstable.

royblacky

Comment

Originally posted by royblacky View Post
                        Hi tcn,

i experience the same behaviour (sudden increase in CPU-Temps of more than 10 degrees) while running prime95.
                        Prime is running with stable temps for about 10 minutes. Then, suddenly temperatur rises into the 80s for a cuple of minutes, followed by a sudden drop back to the 70s.
                        After a few minutes the cycle starts again. While the temperatur increases almost all other parameters stay the same. Monitortools like XTU just show an increase of "CPU Total TDP" from 200 at lowtemp to about 240 Watts at hightemp phases(CPU at 4.2 Ghz). During hightemp phases there is no throttling like temp- power- or current limit.
                        I have no idea what's the reason for this strange behaviour.
                        Another problem to me is that the system seems to be unstable. Several days with gaming with Battlefield or Call of Duty or even running prime95 for hours shows the system is stable.
                        But after a few days suddenly the bootscreen tells me that the system failed to boot several times and the bios is set back to standard.
                        Very strange. To me the mainboard and/or bios appears to be unstable.

royblacky
                        The temperature change in Prime95 is caused by the cycling of certain tests by Prime95, specifically running AVX2 instructions that Haswell processors are capable of executing.

The temperature increase was first noticed with Prime95 and other stress testing programs with the first "mainstream" Intel Haswell processors like the i7-4770K and i5-4690K. If the UEFI/BIOS is configured to use Adaptive voltage, the VCore and VIDs will spike above the usual limit for VCore set in the BIOS. That of course increase both processor temperatures and power usage. Even without Adaptive voltage, heat and power usage increases during the AVX2 instruction phases, and can cause a BSOD if the VCore is not sufficient.

The increase in CPU temperature can be so extreme in an over clocked i7-4770K, etc, that even with the best air coolers and CLC AIO coolers, core temperatures will reach 100C and the processor will throttle its speed to compensate. I've seen that myself with my i5-4690K, the first time I've ever had a processor throttle due to reaching Tj Max. This is related to the use of TIM between the processor die and IHS, rather than solder that is used by the Extreme processor series.

Otherwise, issues with the X99 platform are common with all mother board manufactures, and most of them are caused by the newness of this platform. Intel needs to get some updates out to the board manufactures, although they may have made some mistakes of their own. Watch for BIOS updates.

Comment

I am relieved to hear that.
                          Thanks a lot for your comprehensive explanation.

Comment

Thank you Parsec; it does emplain a lot.

I'm waiting for another power supply as my 400W fanless is ticking when under load...... I didn't think the motherboard would eat so much power; I have to put a killowatt on this thing and find out.
                            Corsair TX750

Comment

I was able to overclock my 5820k to 4.5GHz stable using 1.30v vcore and 1.9v CPU input. I turned off the usual suspects like speedstep, c-states, etc and it works great. I run about 72 degrees full load and 25 degrees at idle with a Corsair H105 in push/pull config inside a NZXT H440 case. I am running BIOS 1.50 and all is great. I decided to drop back to 4.4GHz at 1.27v vcore to bring the temps down to mid sixties at full load in OCCT. I was also able to hit 1500 MHZ on my MSI GTX 970 as well as 8GHz on the GPU memory. However, I really can't seem to overclock the memory stable above 2666 no matter what I do to RAM voltage or system agent. The RAM is G.Skill 2666 so it is ok. I am guessing there is still some optimization to be done in BIOS for DDR4. I was also able to run a M.2 hard drive as boot on Win7 Pro 64bit which is great. This really is a great motherboard and the BIOS seems to be better at this stage than many of the competitors X99 boards.

Comment

Working...
                              X