Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C2750D4I IPMI network configuration issue

Hello,

I have a C2750D4I with bios version 2.50 and IPMI version 00.19.00.
    The problem is related to the IPMI network configuration: it is not possible to use the dedicated LAN port for the IPMI. There is no way to configure it within the bios or the IPMI itself, I can only change parameters on the eth0 and eth1, there is no other setting available.

Actually I can access the IPMI using the first lan port, which is configured with a static IP address and if I perform a tcpdump within the OS on that port, I can see the traffic passing from the IPMI ip address: it is not beautiful at all.

If there is a dedicated port, why the board does not use it?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards

Re: C2750D4I IPMI network configuration issue

Hello,

no answers at all?
    is there a planned BIOS+BMC release that corrects the problem?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards

Comment

Originally posted by arch- View Post
      Hello,

I have a C2750D4I with bios version 2.50 and IPMI version 00.19.00.
      The problem is related to the IPMI network configuration: it is not possible to use the dedicated LAN port for the IPMI. There is no way to configure it within the bios or the IPMI itself, I can only change parameters on the eth0 and eth1, there is no other setting available.

Actually I can access the IPMI using the first lan port, which is configured with a static IP address and if I perform a tcpdump within the OS on that port, I can see the traffic passing from the IPMI ip address: it is not beautiful at all.

If there is a dedicated port, why the board does not use it?

Thanks in advance.
      Regards
      Since the BMC firmware 00.19.00, Network Bond is set to "disable" by default. Under this Network Bond configuration, the dedicated IPMI (illustration #2) IP address from the DHCP will be shown in LAN channel 2 in BIOS - Server Mgmt - BMC network configuration. The port shared with Intel LAN (illustration #3) is shared for IPMI redundancy, and its IP address from DHCP will be shown in LAN channel 1 in BMC network configuration. These two LAN channel 1 and 2 IP addresses configuration are only for IPMI, has nothing to do with the ports (illustration #3/#5) controlled by Intel i210. But to assign only the Dedicated IPMI port (illustration #2) to handle the IPMI traffic, please try enabling the Network Bond but to set the Default Interfaces to "eth1".

Click image for larger version

Name:	c2750IO.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	754682

Comment

Hello Bill,

it took some time to make it running...

At the end the "bond" configuration was not functioning but with your explanation I understood the naming and so I was able to configure the dedicated interface which is the ETH1 in the IPMI.

Just to add some "knowledge":
        A configuration made in BIOS, such as an ip address for the management interfaces overwrites what you set in the IPMi, and if you make the IP configuration in the IPMI it will not overwrite what you set in BIOS.
        So the BIOS rules.

A suggestion for Asrock: since the manual is absolutely incomplete about the configuration of the networking of the IPMI, you should describe better that section with the informations provided by Bill in the previous post, or even explain it in the IPMI configuration pages.

Thank you Bill for the help, I was able to solve my problem :)

Best regards

Comment

Hi Guys,

So glad to find this thread... This is really confusing and messing with my head. Maybe I'm just over complicating it. So clarity would be awesome.

So these two ports Lan1 & Lan2 are actually IPMI ports? If that is the case what is the standard LAN port? Could someone explain it a little for me.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhakta View Post
            Hi Guys,

So glad to find this thread... This is really confusing and messing with my head. Maybe I'm just over complicating it. So clarity would be awesome.

So these two ports Lan1 & Lan2 are actually IPMI ports? If that is the case what is the standard LAN port? Could someone explain it a little for me.

Thanks in advance.

LAN port in illustration #2 is Dedicated IPMI LAN port (eth1). LAN port in illustration #3 is NCSI (eth0, IPMI failover, sharing Intel LAN 1). Illustration #3 & #5 are Intel LAN ports - LAN 1 and LAN 2.

Remember, NCSI LAN port and Intel LAN1 are sharing one physical port. But NCSI (eth0) can be disable in Megarac SP web console - Network.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C2750_IO.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	755018

Comment

Originally posted by ASRockRack TSD - Bill View Post
              LAN port in illustration #2 is Dedicated IPMI LAN port (eth1). LAN port in illustration #3 is NCSI (eth0, IPMI failover, sharing Intel LAN 1). Illustration #3 & #5 are Intel LAN ports - LAN 1 and LAN 2.

Remember, NCSI LAN port and Intel LAN1 are sharing one physical port. But NCSI (eth0) can be disable in Megarac SP web console - Network.

[ATTACH]7842[/ATTACH]
              After nutting this out I think I finally got it. Thanks Bill, actually thanks a lot, because of your comments across this forum I've been able to solve quite a few problems.

Comment

Working...
              X