Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chassis Fan 1 (4 pin) with 3-pin fan z97x Fatal1ty not changing speed with voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis Fan 1 (4 pin) with 3-pin fan z97x Fatal1ty not changing speed with voltage

Hi everybody,

As my title indicates, I have 140mm 3-pin fan plugged into the 4-pin Chassis Fan 1 pin-out on my Asrock Fatal1ty z97x Killer. I could have sworn when I first set up the system, this fan would respond to voltage changes based on CPU load. In the BIOS (which is fully patched to the latest), I have tried silent setting on this fan as well as setting customization to force the fan to 10% of it's normal 1200 RPM speed. The system is new, about 3 weeks old.

CHA FAN 3 (in the middle of the board) responds correctly to voltage control.

Is the CHA FAN 1 not capable of changing speed via voltage on the first 3 pins (without PWM)?

Complete fan setup for reference:
    - CHA FAN 1: Front 140mm Corsair Quiet Edition LED FAN
    - CHA FAN 2: Corsair H110 liquid cooling pump, set in BIOS to Full Speed
    - CHA FAN 3: Front 140mm Corsair Quiet Edition LED FAN (this one is changing speeds correctly)
    - CPU FAN 1: Corsair 140mm static pressure radiator intake fan
    - CPU FAN 2: Corsair 140mm static pressure radiator intake fan
    - PWR pin-out: Corsair 120mm chassis exhaust fan (obviously always runs at full)

Thank you in advance

Solarfly

Re: Chassis Fan 1 (4 pin) with 3-pin fan z97x Fatal1ty not changing speed with voltage

The Chassis Fan 1 header on ASRock Z97 (and Z87 and some Z77) boards is a true four pin PWM fan header that is not switchable or useable with three pin voltage control fans.

Comment

Working...
    X