Z87 extreme4/tb4 blank BIOS on Display port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 extreme4/tb4 blank BIOS on Display port

I can not access BIOS on my Z87 extreme4/tb4.
    I am running my monitor (UP2414Q) off the motherboards minidisplay port.
    The monitor isn't detected until Windows boots, so it is blank through BIOS.

Is it possible to access the BIOS with the monitor on the onboard displayport?

thanks

Re: Z87 extreme4/tb4 blank BIOS on Display port

I haven't had the opportunity yet to experience Thunderbolt, but ...........

BIOS > Advanced > Intel Thunderbolt / Security Level : Try setting this to DP++

From the manual:
    Security Level
    Select Legacy to skip the Windows certiication checking process for hunderbolt
    devices. Select Unique ID for checking the Windows certiication, and show
    warning messages if the devices aren't certiied. Or select DP++ to support DP 1.2.
    I'm thinking. loosely, that that might get you a BIOS display screen
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks, actually it is set for DP++ already.
      I even tried dropping monitor to DP1.1 (30hz) but still no display until Windows start.
      I'm not sure if it is a 4k issue or a DP issue but I may have to connect HDMI to see BIOS.
      Can anyone else see BIOS through the TB/displayport outputs?

Comment

Could your problem be related to the Windows certification of Thunderbolt devices? The BIOS option description is unclear IMO:

Select Legacy to skip the Windows certification checking process for Thunderbolt
        devices. Select Unique ID for checking the Windows certification, and show
        warning messages if the devices aren't certified. Or select DP++ to support DP 1.2.

So only Select Unique ID enables Windows certification? My point is if Windows certification is required, and certification can't occur until Windows boots, what happens pre-boot? Un-certified devices are ignored? A long shot really.

Also, the Thunderbolt Option ROM, which appears during POST if it is not disabled, what does it do? Any configuration options, etc? Use the HDMI connection temporarily so you can check this.

Your board's download page has a Thunderbolt Controller software ver:1.4.0.1 utility available. Have you used it?
        Last edited by parsec; 09-09-2014, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for help.
          Yes I tried Thunderbolt Controller software ver:1.4.0.1, and then more recent v2.04.54
          It appears that Windows sees it as a Display Port, the Intel Thunderbolt utility doesn't show any devices but the Intel Display Manager shows the monitor under Displayport Topology.
          I attached a reduced screencap to illustrate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	thunderbolt dp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	754610

Incidentally, Intel HD 4600 GPU handles 4k 60hz beautifully.
          Display appears in Windows as a single 4k, not MST.
          I don't play 3d but I did try a benchmark it was adequate.

Comment

Working...
          X