My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

I have a Asrock Z77 extreme 6 mb an a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, when i connect one fan to each of the 2 cpu fan header 1 fans spins with max rpm all the time and using the y splitter i can't get the fans to spin (they work) is it really possible that a cpu fan header on my mb can't handle 2 fans?

Re: My mb won't make my 2 cpu fans spin

The 4-pin connector is a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) connector. The 4th pin allows the fan speed to lower. The problem is with how the splitter was made. Oddly enough, the splitter that comes with the Phanteks PH-TC14PE wasn't made properly, for the 4-pin fans it now uses. It was made to connect the old 3-pin fans to a single 3, or 4-pin headder. It's useless for the two 4-pin fans. As you found out.

Only one connector should have the 4-pin plug. The others should have 3-pin plugs. This is so the information is being sent from one fan only. If more than one PWM fan sends info to the motherboard, the signals get confused.

Comment

See the (middle) plug. Only 3-pins. Bit-tech had the same problem, "Oddly, the fan splitter cable in our retail package can only be used to connect two 3-pin fans to a single 3 or 4-pin header, making it useless for the pair of 4-pin fans that now ship with the cooler. While this could just be an error, it's certainly a strange oversight, but thankfully our test motherboards both have two CPU fan headers anyway."

Click image for larger version

Name:	PWM splitter.png
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	754587

Comment

Few min ago phantek send me an e mail where they wanted me to send them an copy of my invoice and they will sent me a new y splitter
        Last edited by gasolin; 08-26-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Ahh good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tralfaz View Post
            See the (middle) plug. Only 3-pins. Bit-tech had the same problem, "Oddly, the fan splitter cable in our retail package can only be used to connect two 3-pin fans to a single 3 or 4-pin header, making it useless for the pair of 4-pin fans that now ship with the cooler. While this could just be an error, it's certainly a strange oversight, but thankfully our test motherboards both have two CPU fan headers anyway."

[ATTACH]7170[/ATTACH]
            Hmmm...

Something is not right about the description that apparently came from Bit-Tech, quoted above.

The problem with any fan splitter cable, that allows multiple fans to be connected to one fan header, for three or four pin fans, is the RPM (speed) signal wires/pins. If more than one of the fan connector ends have an RPM wire/pin, then multiple RPM signals are combined at the mother board connector. That creates a mixed up RPM signal, even if all the fans connected are identical. That goes for four pin PWM controlled fans, or three pin fans.

The RPM/speed wire/pin in both three and four pin fans is wire/pin number 3.

The fix for this situation is to have only one fan send an RPM signal to the board. An example of a PWM fan splitter cable like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pwmsplittersmall.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	754588

Note the missing RPM signal connection from pin 3 on the fan connector labeled Slave Fan.

The picture of the PWM fan splitter in the post I quoted shows the two fan connectors upside down, compared to the picture I included above. So imagine turning those two connectors 180 degrees to match the diagram I posted. They then match. IMO, the PWM fan splitter in the quoted picture is wired correctly, and matches a PWM fan splitter cable that I have.

The splitter in the quoted picture should work fine with both four pin PWM fans, and three pin fans, as long as the Master Fan is a PWM fan. I have no clue what Bit-Tech is talking about, but it is wrong.

gasolin's problem is the splitter cable in his Phanteks cooler is broken, or it was not connected to the four pin PWM CPU_FAN1 connector on his board. The second, CPU_FAN2 connector on his board is a three pin connector, standard for ASRock. It will work with four pin PWM fans, but I doubt two identical PWM fans connected to the two CPU fan headers will spin at the same speed.

Also, the CPU fan speed option setting in the BIOS will affect both of the fan's speeds. The setting should be set to Automatic or Custom. If it is set to Silent or Standard, one fan may not spin up. It sounds like it was set to Full On.

Comment

Hi parsec, the picture I showed is the proper splitter. That's why you were confused. Sorry. I put that pic up so he could compare it to the splitter he had.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFiAuRhZh8

At (3:35) it shows fans that have 3-pin connectors (not PWM). At (3:50) shows a 3-pin connector for the splitter. Phanteks have since started using 4-pin WPM fans, but some still ship with the old 3-pin splitter, for some reason, only Phanteks knows why. This is the problem Bit-tech encountered, as well.

Comment

Tralfaz, I get it now, no problem at all. You see why I was confused...

I bet Phantek's problem with the cables is common because of the way they are manufactured. A factory in China where many of the employees really don't understand exactly what they are assembling, or the prototype/model of the splitter cable used for reference was wrong. So they made who knows how many wrong ones, that were shipped out all over the world.

I doubt Phantek's has their own factory, just like Apple uses Foxconn to assemble most of their products. So no one there from Phanteks to constantly check the cables, which are assumed to be simple (they are), and problems like this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                    Hmmm...

Something is not right about the description that apparently came from Bit-Tech, quoted above.

The problem with any fan splitter cable, that allows multiple fans to be connected to one fan header, for three or four pin fans, is the RPM (speed) signal wires/pins. If more than one of the fan connector ends have an RPM wire/pin, then multiple RPM signals are combined at the mother board connector. That creates a mixed up RPM signal, even if all the fans connected are identical. That goes for four pin PWM controlled fans, or three pin fans.

The RPM/speed wire/pin in both three and four pin fans is wire/pin number 3.

The fix for this situation is to have only one fan send an RPM signal to the board. An example of a PWM fan splitter cable like this:

[ATTACH]7171[/ATTACH]

Note the missing RPM signal connection from pin 3 on the fan connector labeled Slave Fan.

The picture of the PWM fan splitter in the post I quoted shows the two fan connectors upside down, compared to the picture I included above. So imagine turning those two connectors 180 degrees to match the diagram I posted. They then match. IMO, the PWM fan splitter in the quoted picture is wired correctly, and matches a PWM fan splitter cable that I have.

The splitter in the quoted picture should work fine with both four pin PWM fans, and three pin fans, as long as the Master Fan is a PWM fan. I have no clue what Bit-Tech is talking about, but it is wrong.

gasolin's problem is the splitter cable in his Phanteks cooler is broken, or it was not connected to the four pin PWM CPU_FAN1 connector on his board. The second, CPU_FAN2 connector on his board is a three pin connector, standard for ASRock. It will work with four pin PWM fans, but I doubt two identical PWM fans connected to the two CPU fan headers will spin at the same speed.

Also, the CPU fan speed option setting in the BIOS will affect both of the fan's speeds. The setting should be set to Automatic or Custom. If it is set to Silent or Standard, one fan may not spin up. It sounds like it was set to Full On.
                    I tried 1 fan with the 4 pin pwm fan adapter and the 4 pin cpu fan header, i had full speed all the time, no matter what i tried. No fan is set to full on, i tried at one point to set all to full on beause i thought the mb wasn't giving the fans enough juice,power, didn't fixed it.

I have set it to aut and 47 degress level 1 (as i mentioned i have tried full on), i have no standard or silent mode other then raising the temp limited and set fan level to 1

Mabye i should have had this Y splitter Phanteks 3-pin Y splitter instead of the with blue,yellow and red adapter http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...tc14pe_020.jpg

Comment

Do your Phanteks fans have 3-pin, or 4-pin connectors? They used to use 3-pin fans, but now use 4-pin PWM fans. When you said your fan spun at 100% I assumed you had the new 4-pin PWM fans and plugged it into the 3-pin header.

The ASRock Z77 Extreme6 has one 3-pin and one 4-pin CPU fan header.

Comment

It's the old 3 pins fans no, 1 fan connected to the 4 pin cpu header is always spinning at max rpm

Comment

gasolin, are the fans that come with your Phanteks PH-TC14PE three pin fans, or four pin PWM fans?

The fan control in the BIOS for ASRock Z77 boards is not very good, I have two Z77 Extreme 4's. The Target CPU temperature setting does very little or nothing to change the CPU fan speed, and Level 1 is not very low for many fans.

The problem is there are no standards for fan speeds at a certain voltage, or standard PWM fan speeds. Mother board manufactures only know their boards will be used with all kinds of different fans, and the main thing they are worried about is that all or 99% of fans will spin at the lowest (Level 1) speed settings. So they set the lowest level to a relatively high voltage, which is a compromise for fans like yours that don't need much voltage, and only run up to 1300 RPM. Some common CPU cooler fans run up to and over 2000 RPM and use high voltage too, so fans like yours don't have much of an adjustment range.

I can't remember if it is only the Z87 and not Z77 ASRock boards that added a Custom CPU fan speed option that allows a much wider range of adjustment. All I know is the Z77 boards have poor fan speed options, which IMO is ridiculous given what else we have now in the PC world. Other mother board manufactures are not much better, and from what I here, some are worse.

Comment

ASRock Extreme series boards won't go below 30% fan speed because that's under the nominal voltage (5 volts) for many fans. Once those fans drop below 5 volts, they just stop.
                            Last edited by Tralfaz; 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

3 pin fans, this one is the new fans http://pc.zoznam.sk/sites/default/fi...s/sam_2137.jpg i have the old one with bigger fins on the blade like this http://www.overclex.net/wp-content/u...anteks_151.jpg my pwm fan adapter is white (sleeve) where most are black

Comment

Working...
                              X