Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z97 extreme6 and M.2 NGEF Samsung XP941 booting problem

Hi there,

I recently bought the z97 extreme6 to connect it yo the samsung xp941 via the M.2 interface. Everything works, except booting from that device. Currently, I boot from a USB stick with clover. The M.2 drive only appears as AHCI drive and not as an UEFI drive? Is there anyone who had the same problem?

Cheers,

Re: Asrock Z97 extreme6 and M.2 NGEF Samsung XP941 booting problem

Originally posted by cl1973 View Post
    Hi there,

I recently bought the z97 extreme6 to connect it yo the samsung xp941 via the M.2 interface. Everything works, except booting from that device. Currently, I boot from a USB stick with clover. The M.2 drive only appears as AHCI drive and not as an UEFI drive? Is there anyone who had the same problem?

Cheers,
    As you probably know, this board is one of the few if not only one sold that can boot a Samsung XP941 without a UEFI/BIOS update. It does work, so something is not configured right.

So you installed an OS (which one) on your XP941 and it won't boot, or it doesn't appear in the boot order list, or you tried to install an OS, or what?

If you didn't do a UEFI booting Windows installation (does not mean you have UEFI firmware/BIOS) try this:

In the Boot screen at the bottom, find the CSM option. Click on that (I assume it is set to Enabled) and find Launch Storage OpROM Policy and set that to UEFI Only. Save and Exit.

Even if the XP941 still appears as "AHCI: ..." in the boot order without a "UEFI:" after changing the setting, try it anyway. Some M.2 SSDs, like the XP941, do not use the board's SATA controller and installed SATA driver, so their identification in the boot order may not behave like SATA drives.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z97 extreme6 and M.2 NGEF Samsung XP941 booting problem

Thanks for the very quick reply.

So I have Mavericks 10.9.4 up and running, as I said, works well if booted from USB stick. I have clover boot loader installed in the EFI partition, which is fat32 format.

BIOS/UEFI recognises the M.2 drive, but if it tries to boot, there is a black page with a blinking cursor in left upper corner and the system does not respond. Usually, even if the drive was empty, one would expect the error such as "no proper booting device". So I am not sure how to tackle this problem.... Thanks again for your help

Comment

Working...
      X