Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this motherboard support my processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this motherboard support my processor?

I recently ordered an ASRock H97M and a Pentium G3258 that will arrive tomorrow. I checked the CPU support list before ordering the motherboard and it was there. However, I just looked at the BIOS updates page and it looks like support for the processor was added in a BIOS update a few weeks ago. Does it mean that I'm hosed if the motherboard comes with an older BIOS? Would I be able to flash the BIOS without the supported CPU? Is it possible that it would let me boot into the BIOS with the unsupported CPU and then flash the new version?
    Thanks for the help!
    ASRock > H97M
    ASRock > H97M

Re: Will this motherboard support my processor?

You should be fine with the first BIOS version, 1.10 on your H97M. Intel 9 series chipsets like your H97 and any BIOS for these boards should at least basically support any Haswell processor, and a G3258 is in the Haswell family.

I normally suggest that you clear the BIOS/CMOS before you start the PC after installing a new CPU, but if you are using the board for the first time, that won't be necessary.

I installed a G3258 in an ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 board, and it booted fine the first time. That was with a BIOS from 12/2013, before the G3258 existed.

I must say that I was unable to OC the G3258 until I updated to a beta BIOS that was provided, and then an official BIOS version after that. At worst you might find a CPU feature or BIOS option that does not work right, but you'll be able to use the PC for the most part fine, and be able to update to the newest BIOS without any trouble.

As always, I strongly suggest using the Instant Flash method to update your BIOS, or after that the Internet Flash method, both run from the BIOS.

Comment

Working...
    X