Regarding BIOS upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding BIOS upgrade.

Hey Guys, really big noob here when it comes to computers.

but i require some assistance if you guys can help.

Basically, my PC has been crashing randomly, and after installing WHO CRASHED, I've received this error multiply Times.

This makes no sense to me at all, but I've got some friends that have some knowledge of this, and after updating all my drivers etc, it keeps happening.
    Now i was Told to Upgrade my BIOS and this would stop it.

So my CPU SPECS ARE:

After a billion you tube videos on how to upgrade my BIOS, i've finally found one, and went to this link to download my Update:
    ASRock > Z77 Pro4

When i installed the latest one 1.80 (WINDOWS)

I followed instructions using the "how to", and i got this error when i attempted to upgrade my BIOS.

I also went on to attempt to install 1.70/1.60 and got the same message.

A Little Back story.
    I was playing Acheage, ( beta weekend) and my Screen would turn black, then it would resume gameplay after about 10seconds of trying to load it, this as you can imagine got really frustrating and annoying.

Thank you for taking your time to read this,
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you again.

Re: Regarding BIOS upgrade.

You are attempting to flash an incorrect BIOS file for your motherboard.

CPU-z reports you having the Z77 Pro4-M, NOT the Z77 Pro4 you linked to the BIOS file you're attempting with.

If, IF, your board is indeed the Micro-ATX Z77 Pro4-M you want to us the BIOS files found HERE
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And use the Instant Flash method/files. It's MUCH safer.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

That was well spotted wardog!

Comment

wardog beat me to it.

Also, you want to uninstall all your ATI drivers before installing the new ones. ATI is horrible about driver conflicts. When I used ATI I never installed CCC and HydraVision.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            You are attempting to flash an incorrect BIOS file for your motherboard.

CPU-z reports you having the Z77 Pro4-M, NOT the Z77 Pro4 you linked to the BIOS file you're attempting with.

If, IF, your board is indeed the Micro-ATX Z77 Pro4-M you want to us the BIOS files found HERE

Hey warDog,
            Thank you so much for taking your time to reply.

How do i exactly find out that i have a Micro-ATX z77? is there any other methods other than opening the actual case?
            Last edited by EDOT; 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EDOT View Post

How do i exactly find out that i have a Micro-ATX z77? is there any other methods other than opening the actual case?

You could try System Information: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information

In the right panel, "System Manufacturer" will be the maker, of your board (ASRock) "System Model" will be the model (either Z77 Pro4 or Z77 Pro4-M).

If that doesn't help, look at the I/O panel and see if your HDMI input has any USB ports connected to it. If so, it's the Pro4, if the HDMI input is all alone, it's the Pro4-M.

ASRock > Z77 Pro4
              ASRock > Z77 Pro4-M

Comment

Originally posted by Tralfaz View Post
                You could try System Information: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information

In the right panel, "System Manufacturer" will be the maker, of your board (ASRock) "System Model" will be the model (either Z77 Pro4 or Z77 Pro4-M).

If that doesn't help, look at the I/O panel and see if your HDMI input has any USB ports connected to it. If so, it's the Pro4, if the HDMI input is all alone, it's the Pro4-M.

ASRock > Z77 Pro4
                ASRock > Z77 Pro4-M
                Currently at University, but when i get home ( about 5 hours), i'll update with what i have.

Thanks heaps for your input by the way!

Just another quick question: When i've found out what my BIOS exactly is, would i then download the latest Version?

So this would be Version 2.0?
                ASRock > Z77 Pro4-M

Thanks again Tralfaz.

Comment

As for which BIOS version. Some say to use the newest, some say to look for features you need. (Most BIOS updates are to incorporate particular features). I, as a rule, don't update my BIOS unless, I'm having problems. When I do update it, I usually look for other user's input as to how stable a particular BIOS version is, before I commit to it. You can always use the latest version and revert, if you don't like it. Best of luck.

Comment

Version 2.00 is the latest for the Z77 Pro4-M.

Your current BIOS version doesn't matter, you can update to 2.00 from any version. All updates from previous versions are included in the latest version.

You can see the model of your board in the main BIOS screen. You can also use CPU-Z, the Mother Board tab will display that information, which is how wardog discovered why the OP's BIOS update wouldn't work.

Comment

Looking at the description of the 2.0 BIOS. You probably should update to it. Looks like ASRock are changing their internet flash server. That would be an update that would pertain to all users. Especially when they shut down their existing flash servers.

Parsec, sorry, what I meant was, some BIOS revisions are not applicable to all users. Take version 1.9 (for the pro4-M) it just adds auto-detect for TMP. If you don't use TMP it's superfluous. That's just Microsoft getting ready for next year's Windows 8.1 hardware certification. If you had BIOS version 1.8. (or older) and didn't want, or use TMP, there would be no need to upgrade/sidestep to 1.9. It is a given, that if you were to update to 2.0, you'd have all the revisions which came prior, including TMP auto-detect.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                        Version 2.00 is the latest for the Z77 Pro4-M.

Your current BIOS version doesn't matter, you can update to 2.00 from any version. All updates from previous versions are included in the latest version.

You can see the model of your board in the main BIOS screen. You can also use CPU-Z, the Mother Board tab will display that information, which is how wardog discovered why the OP's BIOS update wouldn't work.

On my Original post, i used CPU-Z to determine what BIOS i had(picture included), and it said z77 pro4-m, so i'll be using Wardog's link to update once i get home.
                        i hope this fixes all my problems >_<

I just need to check that i do have Micro-ATX Z77 Pro4-M. Which i'm currently unsure, but when i'm home, i'll follow the steps Tralfaz told me to find out if i do have a Micro-ATX.

Comment

Originally posted by Tralfaz View Post
                          Looking at the description of the 2.0 BIOS. You probably should update to it. Looks like ASRock are changing their internet flash server. That would be an update that would pertain to all users. Especially when they shut down their existing flash servers.

Parsec, sorry, what I meant was, some BIOS revisions are not applicable to all users. Take version 1.9 (for the pro4-M) it just adds auto-detect for TMP. If you don't use TMP it's superfluous. That's just Microsoft getting ready for next year's Windows 8.1 hardware certification. If you had BIOS version 1.8. (or older) and didn't want, or use TMP, there would be no need to upgrade/sidestep to 1.9. It is a given, that if you were to update to 2.0, you'd have all the revisions which came prior, including TMP auto-detect.
                          I understand, no problem at all.

Note that the BIOS update for the Internet Flash servers is over a year old now (7/23/2013), so the old server link in the previous BIOS versions will likely not work now. That update was done for most if not all older ASRock boards last year.

I must say that EDOT's problem with the video driver is very unlikely to be fixed by the BIOS update, as you said yourself earlier. Of course we don't know what BIOS version he is using now, so an unlisted update might help but I'm skeptical of that. I would suggest using an earlier driver, whatever version that worked well in the past. Nvidia has driver updates that I could not even use they were so crazy for some reason, for example

Comment

UPDATE

I updated using Wardog's Link, and MY CPU-Z says:

so the Version is p2.00.

i'll update Tomorrow to tell you guys if my drivers or whatever have stopped crashing.

if they haven't theN :(

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                              I understand, no problem at all.

Note that the BIOS update for the Internet Flash servers is over a year old now (7/23/2013), so the old server link in the previous BIOS versions will likely not work now. That update was done for most if not all older ASRock boards last year.

I must say that EDOT's problem with the video driver is very unlikely to be fixed by the BIOS update, as you said yourself earlier. Of course we don't know what BIOS version he is using now, so an unlisted update might help but I'm skeptical of that. I would suggest using an earlier driver, whatever version that worked well in the past. Nvidia has driver updates that I could not even use they were so crazy for some reason, for example
                              you were correct, it has not fixed my problem :(
                              but no harm done in updating my BIOS is there..?
                              (refer to post above about the information)

Acheage ( the game that is constantly blackscreening) is in Beta, so i guess i'll just wait until it comes out and maybe they'll fix it on there end

Comment

Working...
                              X