Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SM Bus Controller showing warning icon in device manager after upgrade to Win 8.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SM Bus Controller showing warning icon in device manager after upgrade to Win 8.1

Hi,

I am not sure if this is motherboard or graphic card related.

I recently updated to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 and now I have a warning in device manager against SM Bus controller.

I tried to ask Windows to update the driver but no good. I asked Windows to look on my motherboard disc and graphics card disc but no luck.

I googled the problem and it asked me to download and run the INTEL chipset software installation utility. I downloaded it and ran it(I think) but nothing ever happened.

I have also checked on Nvidia and downloaded the latest graphics driver for my Geforce GTX 760.

I have rebooted the PC but I still have the warning Icon against SM Bus controller.

Can someone help please? Thanks.

Re: SM Bus Controller showing warning icon in device manager after upgrade to Win 8.1

Most likely it's the Intel ME (management) driver. Update it and you should be good to go.

Comment

Re: SM Bus Controller showing warning icon in device manager after upgrade to Win 8.1

Originally posted by chrisram View Post
      Most likely it's the Intel ME (management) driver. Update it and you should be good to go.
      Thanks.

Just tried installing from here:

Code:
      https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23746&lang=eng
      I get the following message when executing setup:

The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

I have Windows 8.1 64 bit
      ASUS Z97 Extreme6
      Geforce GTX 760
      I7 9790K

Don't see why I wouldn't meet the minimum requirements?

Comment

The IME version you downloaded from Intel is: .

That is quite a bit different than your Z97 chipset board. The error message is as always cryptic and causes FUD. The "minimum requirements" just means the hardware (chipset) that version is meant to work with is not what your board has, so it fails.

Try this version from your board's download page: Intel Management Engine driver ver:10.0.0.1204

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Don't worry about the note advising you to install a Windows update before loading that driver. That update is only needed for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

BTW, nice to see forum participation from TweakTown writers, just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          The IME version you downloaded from Intel is: .

That is quite a bit different than your Z97 chipset board. The error message is as always cryptic and causes FUD. The "minimum requirements" just means the hardware (chipset) that version is meant to work with is not what your board has, so it fails.

Try this version from your board's download page: Intel Management Engine driver ver:10.0.0.1204

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Don't worry about the note advising you to install a Windows update before loading that driver. That update is only needed for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

BTW, nice to see forum participation from TweakTown writers, just sayin'.
          I am slapping myself on the head . Sorry I always get my Intels and Asrocks missed up. I have downloaded the Asrock IME and installed it but nothing happened again. I have rebooted the pooter.
          Is this SM Bus Controller important? Could I just disable it?

Comment

Not to worry, Intel has removed the majority of the IME downloads on their site, they are now only available through your mother board's download page.

You mentioned the chipset software that you weren't sure about. That really should be the first thing you install. Not sure what you found via your Google search.

So, back to your board's download page, download and run (as Administrator, right click on the file and choose Run as administrator) version INF driver ver:10.0.13.

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Not to worry, Intel has removed the majority of the IME downloads on their site, they are now only available through your mother board's download page.

You mentioned the chipset software that you weren't sure about. That really should be the first thing you install. Not sure what you found via your Google search.

So, back to your board's download page, download and run (as Administrator, right click on the file and choose Run as administrator) version INF driver ver:10.0.13.

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6
              Thanks again.

I have installed the software but the warning icon is still present. I think everything is up to date now. I ran a programme called A Tuning. It is a software tool from my motherboard. It basically analyses what drivers are on your motherboard and suggests updates. I upgraded my BIOS using this. I also upgraded my LAN and something else. Everything is up to date now according to the analysis. Not sure what else to do.

Comment

Well, I can tell you that I have the same board and OS as you do, and I don't have your problem with the SM Buss Controller.

Normally it is the IME software not being installed that causes that Device Manager problem, as chrisram suggested.

This is a curious issue I have seen occasionally before in this forum on any newer Intel chipset mother board. My point is this is not a problem with the board itself. I always install the chipset software first, and then IME. After that it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
                X