ASrock z97 OC Formula Which PCI-E Slots for SLI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASrock z97 OC Formula Which PCI-E Slots for SLI

I have a question concerning the ASrock z97 OC Formula. In the manual it suggests that if you're using 2 way SLI or X Fire that you should have the top two PCI-e x16 slots occupied. My question is, will SLI still function correctly if I occupy slot 4 instead of slot 2? Both are PCI-e 3.0 x16 slots, and I feel that having the top two filled will cook my cards. If somebody can answer that for me I would be most grateful.

Re: ASrock z97 OC Formula Which PCI-E Slots for SLI

Well, so far I haven't had any luck posting in my current configuration. But, I should point out that the PCI-E on/off switch has come in very handy. I've always wanted a board with one, and it works well. There was a problem with my top card, in slot 1. I don't know for sure exactly what it was yet, I'm still working on it. But for anybody considering this particular board you should know that the RAM dimms are very close to the top PCI-e x16 slot. So close that with my Koolance water block attached one of the screws holding the back plate on was too high to fit past the RAM clips on the 3rd RAM slot. So I had to be creative and I removed a small section of the bottom clip so that the card would fit correctly with the water block in place. If you're running an air cooled card, it won't be a problem, but if you have a custom liquid cooling setup you might run into trouble.
    Unfortunately I ran out of time to work on the system. But I will get back to it as soon as I'm able.
    And for anybody wondering, how the heck did he do get a chunk off of that RAM clip. Well it wasn't easy. I couldn't find anything online telling me how to go about doing it so I did what I thought would work the best. I tried cutting it off first, but the plastic is too rigid and I didn't want to damage the board or break the clip. So what I ended up doing was heating up a knife on the stove and then using that knife to slice a small section of the RAM clip off. Of course if you're not careful you could drip molten plastic onto your board damaging it or you could slip and damage it in some other way. But I was careful so it turned out ok. It didn't occur to me until after that if may prove a problem if I have to RMA the board, but it had to come off or my card wouldn't fit. I tried fitting the card every possible way you could imagine and that was the only option left available to me in the end.
    So, I don't yet know if SLI will work correctly, but I will post back when I make some progress.

Comment

So I got it to boot, thanks for the help everyone! Lol. I believe that the problem, which I did eventually narrow down to the top pci-e x16 slot. Was indeed that the RAM clip was stopping my card from seating correctly. After I removed enough of the clip to seat the card it booted right up. I haven't installed OS yet, but I believe SLI will function correctly as long as it sees both cards. I actually remember that my z68 board had a similar issue. I wanted to install 2 5970s, so as suggested i placed them in slot 1 & 2 but one on top of the other they cooked, bad. So I separated them and everything worked fine after that. They still cooked, but that was normal. :)

Comment

It's difficult to predict how the secondary PCIe x16 slots function in SLI, or really if they are all configured as x16 if used on their own. Of course in dual SLI, both slots will be x8, but the question is how the third PCIe x16 slot is configured. Your board's manual seems to answer that question:

Click image for larger version

Name:	z97oc pcie.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	754575

So it's clear that the PCIE2 and PCIE4 are configured as x8 slots, so you'll most likely be fine using slots PCIE1 and PCIE4. Why the manual does not specify that either the PCIE2 or PCIE4 slot may be used for dual SLI (or not) is the question.

Comment

I came to the same conclusion. I was just hoping somebody could confirm it. Although, it is somewhat disappointing. I was looking forward to a board that could run SLI at PCI-E x16 3.0 speeds. Of course I'm not losing any speed at x8 from my last board, an X58 and I'm gaining a lot more features I've been craving. It's just that one particular feature was something I was looking forward to testing.

Comment

All of the "mainstream" Intel CPUs since Sandy Bridge, that have the main PCIe lanes provided by the CPU, only have 16 PCIe lanes, regardless of their speed. Z97 boards and compatible processors are mainstream products.

A few boards have added PLX chips that allow all 16 of the PCIe lanes to be shared between two video cards, but they really do not add any PCIe lanes.

The Intel Extreme series of CPUs that only work on X79 boards (or the new X99 for Haswell-E processors) have 40 PCIe lanes, although one of the new Haswell-E CPUs may have less than that. Most people don't go for the Extreme platforms, due to their higher prices.

Comment

Well, I got the system all put together and the OS installed and everything up to date and SLI works just fine with one card in slot 1 and another in slot 4. Just so we're clear, we're also counting the pci-e x1 slots as well. It's actually the third pci-e x16. Actually after I got all the hardware sorted out it was one of the most painless installations I've experienced in a long, long time.

Comment

I get it about the PCIE4 slot, that is ASRock's naming convention on this board. PCIE4 is the third PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, with one PCIe 2.0 x1 slot (PCIE3) between the PCIE2 and PCIE4 slots, as listed in the table I posted above.

I've had great "luck" with all my ASRock boards, Z77, Z87, and Z97.

Comment

You're obviously very knowledgable with PC hardware, I was just trying to be clear for anyone else who might be reading this, looking for answers.

Comment

Ok, sorry, good idea. It always helps that I have this board too.

Comment

I'm curious to know if the supplied Sli Bridge was long enough for that GPU setup from PCIE Slot 1 to PCIE Slot 4? I am looking at picking up this exact motherboard and building out a 4790k with my 2x 780 ti's in Sli, but the kicker for me and most boards is that the PCIE slots are just too close, as I'm not running water cooling on them yet. Right now I have them both in an EVGA z68 Sli MoBo where they sit back to back basically. As they would in this MoBo in PCIE Slots 1 and 2. This Asrock board has everything I want but I have been debating the Asus Maximus VII Hero just because the PCIE spacing would allow my cards room to breath. I picked up a Swiftech H220-X for this 4970k build I'm about to do (next week), and will be trying to get everything I can out of it. So this Asrock would be my #1 choice, IF, I had breathing room for my GPU's. Luckily I found this thread and I assume everything is going well with your Sli setup in Slots 1 & 4. Which leads me to ask the question about the supplied Sli Bridge being long enough to reach both cards or should I go ahead and purchase another Bridge that will?

Sorry for rambling on like this with such a simple question. It's late and I'm tired... :)

Comment

Quick question guys, how do u remove your video card without popping out the plastic PCI-E locking clip? My gtx 670 cards are so big theres no way to reach under & unlock them, so when i remove my video card it takes out the pcie plastic clip with it everytime! Poor design decision on Asrock's part.
                        Desktop: 4790k @ stock | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9 | Asrock OC Formula Z97 | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI & 2TB WD Black | Auzentech Forte 7.1 | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | DELL U2711 @ 1440p | Corsair 300R | Win7
                        Ultrabook: Zenbook UX32LN | i5 4200u | 8GB RAM | Nvidia 840m | IPS Matte @ 1080p | 256GB SSD | Win8.1

Comment

Originally posted by poohbear View Post
                          Quick question guys, how do u remove your video card without popping out the plastic PCI-E locking clip? My gtx 670 cards are so big theres no way to reach under & unlock them, so when i remove my video card it takes out the pcie plastic clip with it everytime! Poor design decision on Asrock's part.
                          Your board must have the automatic locking type of clips, that moves up and locks the card when you insert the card in the slot, is that right?

So you can't maneuver a small, short screwdriver from underneath the card, with the screwdriver between the card and the board? An L shaped piece of thin metal might fit between the card and board, again going in from the bottom. Or a flat wooden stir stick used for coffee might fit.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                            Your board must have the automatic locking type of clips, that moves up and locks the card when you insert the card in the slot, is that right?

So you can't maneuver a small, short screwdriver from underneath the card, with the screwdriver between the card and the board? An L shaped piece of thin metal might fit between the card and board, again going in from the bottom. Or a flat wooden stir stick used for coffee might fit.
                            Thanks for the suggestion, but its pretty tight & u really need to press down to release it, so i dont think that'll work. Its the same clip thats common for the ddr sticks (push down on ddr stick & it locks in place. To release it u have to press down with considerable pressure.) Its just strange that they went with such a design.
                            Last edited by poohbear; 09-01-2014, 02:18 AM.
                            Desktop: 4790k @ stock | Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB (2x8gb) Crucial Ballistex @ CL9 | Asrock OC Formula Z97 | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | 240gb OCZ Vertex 3 MI & 2TB WD Black | Auzentech Forte 7.1 | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | DELL U2711 @ 1440p | Corsair 300R | Win7
                            Ultrabook: Zenbook UX32LN | i5 4200u | 8GB RAM | Nvidia 840m | IPS Matte @ 1080p | 256GB SSD | Win8.1

Comment

Working...
                            X