No internet connection found - CMOS light red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No internet connection found - CMOS light red

Hi. I have an AsRockFM2 A75 Pro4 motherboard.

Few weeks ago my internet stopped working and said it could not detect my PC I-E adapter. I ended up reinstalling Windows thinking that viruses might have corrupted my software (as my computer was not starting up properly). Computer runs fine now but still no internet.

CMOS light on back panel is still red after manually resetting BIOS on the motherboard.

Can someone please help me and give me the baby steps to solving this issue?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by letmeatom; 08-16-2014, 11:39 AM.

Re: No internet connection found - CMOS light red

Originally posted by letmeatom View Post
    Hi. I have an AsRockFM2 A75 Pro4 motherboard.

Few weeks ago my internet stopped working and said it could not detect my PC I-E adapter. I ended up reinstalling Windows thinking that viruses might have corrupted my software (as my computer was not starting up properly). Computer runs fine now but still no internet.

Then I realized the CMOS light on the back panel was red. Problem is, I am a complete and utter noob at troubleshooting computer problems. My ex-boyfriend built this thing and I have no idea how to clear or reset the CMOS/bios.

Can someone please help me and give me the baby steps to solving this issue?
    Thanks.
    Have a look at this tutorial:

How To Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS) [Easy, 10 to 15 Min]

Comment

Originally posted by janner66 View Post
      Thanks.

So I found the jumper, reset the bios by switching the pins etc, but still for some reason the cmos light is red and I have no internet connection.

Any ideas?

Comment

The clr CMOS button may be illuminated normally, do you know if in the past it was not red while the PC was running?

It seems the networking chip, a Realtek RTL8111E is built into the board, and is not a separate PCI-E card, although the error message may have said it could not detect it as you wrote.

I assume you have a standard wired Internet connection that is plugged into the network port on the back of the PC, on the mother board's IO panel? There are two little lights next to the network cable input jack, at least one of them should light up when a cable is connected to that jack. Does that happen?

What version of Windows are you using? At the very lower right area of the Windows desktop there should be a small icon that looks like a PC monitor, which is for networking. If you right click on that you can then open the Network and Sharing Center. If you do that what do you see in the window that opens?

Your internet provider/connection is still working it seems, right?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          The clr CMOS button may be illuminated normally, do you know if in the past it was not red while the PC was running?

It seems the networking chip, a Realtek RTL8111E is built into the board, and is not a separate PCI-E card, although the error message may have said it could not detect it as you wrote.

I assume you have a standard wired Internet connection that is plugged into the network port on the back of the PC, on the mother board's IO panel? There are two little lights next to the network cable input jack, at least one of them should light up when a cable is connected to that jack. Does that happen?

What version of Windows are you using? At the very lower right area of the Windows desktop there should be a small icon that looks like a PC monitor, which is for networking. If you right click on that you can then open the Network and Sharing Center. If you do that what do you see in the window that opens?

Your internet provider/connection is still working it seems, right?
          Thanks for your reply.

I cannot remember if the CMOS light was red before unfortunately. Yes I'm using a wired Ethernet connection bwith the cable plugged into the back panel. There are no lights on the input jack when the cable is connected. There used to be 2 amaber lights as I recall.

When I go into the network options, there's no connection detected even though everything is plugged in.

And yeah my internet is working just fine as I have my phone hooked up to the WiFi.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm running Windows 7 home professional 64bit

Comment

Sorry couldn't reply sooner, had to work today. My ASRock board that has a CMOS clear button similar to yours, is red when the PC is on, that is normal.

Sounds like the Realtek network chip on your board has died for some reason, unless your network cable is bad. Windows 7 should have a native driver it would automatically install for that network chip.

You could check Device Manager in Windows, from Control Panel find Device Manager, open it and look for Network adapters. Double click on Network adapters and you should have an entry for the Realtek RTL8111E chip.

If the entry has a yellow '!' over it, that means the device has a problem. Even if you don't see that, double click the entry for the Realtek chip and see what it says.

If I'm wrong and you needed to install a driver program for the Realtek network chip, you can download it from your board's page on ASRock's website and just run that program to install it.

ASRock > FM2A75 Pro4

The BIOS usually has an option to enable or disable the network chip on a board. But if you cleared the BIOS which resets everything to default values, the network chip should be enabled by default.

You can buy a separate network card that you can add to the PC, they are not very expensive, about 20 Euro's and usually work right away without much if any intervention, besides inserting it into the mother board. You could use either a PCI-E or PCI network card in your board.

Comment

Working...
            X