Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Booting on non RAID drive with RAID present.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booting on non RAID drive with RAID present.

Good day to all,

Here is my issue,

I am trying to boot my system on a non RAID drive and for the life of me I cannot find the proper way to do it.

Here my setup.

Motherboard : Asrock Z97 Extreme 6
    CPU: Intel i7 4790K
    RAM: 2x8Gb (2133) 16Gb Total
    PSU: CoolerMaster V750
    Case: Antec 900
    GPU: None using OnBoard
    HDD: 1x 2Tb <-- OS
    4x 1Tb <-- RAID5 or RAID10

As soon has i turn on the RAID in Bios, i cannot pick my non RAID drive for boot up.... Is this a limitation of the motherboard or am i doing something incorrectly.

Any ideas/help/comments are welcomed.

Regards.
    Last edited by Loonatic; 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM. Reason: Tried to remove the huge blank space

Re: Booting on non RAID drive with RAID present.

It sounds like you installed your OS (Windows?) on your 2TB drive with the SATA mode set to AHCI or IDE, and later set the SATA mode to RAID, and then you have the problem with your OS/boot drive, is that correct?

If so, your problem has nothing to do with your board, it's actually a problem that is related to Windows. You can't just change the SATA mode to RAID after installing Windows in a non-RAID mode, the PC won't boot. The problem is Windows won't automatically load the RAID driver when you change to RAID mode. You must either apply a registry tweak to cause Windows to load the RAID driver, or install Windows again with the SATA mode set to RAID.

Read about this and the fix here: Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot drive

You can download a tool on that page you can run to apply the registry edit, or do it manually with the instructions provided. If you are not using Windows 7, the fix is a little different.

Comment

Working...
    X