Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC'ing Guide for the Z97 Extreme6/4790K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OC'ing Guide for the Z97 Extreme6/4790K?

i live in southern Cali .. don't have AC at my house .. so it is hot .. even now 9:30pm and the temp is around 85f... my idle temp is 35c-38c .... my input Voltage is on auto ... i was over voltage with 1.8- 1.9( the board suggest that) and also try +.4 and that take me over 2.0 ... too high ...
    my system is very stable now and i have a base i can fall back on .. will try to lower than 1.776 ( that what i figure i need to do also)... the thing i don't understand there are many people have their voltage at 1.2 or more and their temp is lower than mine ...

thank you for all suggestion and will try it out ... up date you in couple of days ( take me that long to fully test any change i make )
    Last edited by godto; 08-04-2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by godto View Post
      i live in southern Cali .. don't have AC at my house .. so it is hot .. even now 9:30pm and the temp is around 85f... my idle temp is 35c-38c .... my input Voltage is on auto ... i was over voltage with 1.8- 1.9( the board suggest that) and also try +.4 and that take me over 2.0 ... too high ...
      my system is very stable now and i have a base i can fall back on .. will try to lower than 1.776 ( that what i figure i need to do also)... the thing i don't understand there are many people have their voltage at 1.2 or more and their temp is lower than mine ...

thank you for all suggestion and will try it out ... up date you in couple of days ( take me that long to fully test any change i make )
      Many things could cause the difference in CPU temperature:

Are the others using custom water cooling, like Ken429?

Have they delided their CPU?

The others are reporting their CPU temps with a much lower ambient temp than yours.

The cooling of their case may be better than yours.

And, every processor is at least slightly different, particularly in the way the TIM application under the IHS happens to be, which is completely chance what you get.

The variables are almost endless, how flat or curved is the top of your IHS compared to others, how much pressure is the others CPU cooler putting on the CPU compared to yours...

Comment

i was thinking of delid ... but I'm still toss up in that ... i have antec 1200 ... have 9 case fan + 2 cpu fan on NH-D14 = 11 fan ... so cooling is not a problem ... and I'm OC now so my computer sound like a tank because all fan on full speed ... with my old q6600 i have all my fan on minimum and the temp was great and very quiet.

i just change the CPU fan to cooler master slick flow ... 2000 rpm and 69cfm, static pressure 2.94 ... it lower my temp about 2-3c degree
        at this point i take anything .... hehehe .. beside it was on sale for $3 ...
        i use noctual NT-H1 come with the cooler ... not bad.. but just order PK-3 ...( also on sale for $6).
        I re-seat the cooler few time so i ran out of paste.
        I'm doing OC just for fun and my what I'm stable at now .. i sure will never hit 75c on all the stuff i will do with my comp.

I read many report on the TIM and 1 thing they said also that because of the silicon glue was too thick and prevent the close contact.
        they did some test on that and seem true.

I know it luck of the draw ... I'm happy with 4.5 and now just do some fine tune and also try to let the comp adjust my speed.
        i try few setting but they stay at 4.5 when now in use ( save money on electric bill because of my fan)

have any suggestion ?

I did go into window and set the 5% low limit( some thing like that ) but didn't work yet ... have to tinker more with the Bios setting.

next few day just loading software and set those up ... then i going back to tweak the OC... want to make sure they all work together down the line.

Comment

Pumping an old thread as I just recently got my build together and would like to take my 4770K to 4.5 daily.

Looknig for feedback as unsure how different the 4770K will respond to the same settings used on the 4790's in this thread.

I am liquid cooled will give a breakdown of what I have

2x8 GB Gskill 1866
          Extreme 6 latest bios
          2 x 220 rads with MCP35X AP GT15 fans x 4
          Apogee HD waterblock
          2x R290 w Watercool Heatkiller blocks and backplates
          EVGA G2 1000
          Switch 810 with 2 x 120 and 2 x 140 case fans

right now just running the auto overclock settings at 4.2, temps are solid 70 degrees with occt running last 1 hr, infinite large data set. No issues so far which i expected there should not be...
          Last edited by cisco kidd; 03-23-2015, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco kidd View Post
            Pumping an old thread as I just recently got my build together and would like to take my 4770K to 4.5 daily.

Looknig for feedback as unsure how different the 4770K will respond to the same settings used on the 4790's in this thread.

I am liquid cooled will give a breakdown of what I have

2x8 GB Gskill 1866
            Extreme 6 latest bios
            2 x 220 rads with MCP35X AP GT15 fans x 4
            Apogee HD waterblock
            2x R290 w Watercool Heatkiller blocks and backplates
            EVGA G2 1000
            Switch 810 with 2 x 120 and 2 x 140 case fans

right now just running the auto overclock settings at 4.2, temps are solid 70 degrees with occt running last 1 hr, infinite large data set. No issues so far which i expected there should not be...
            The first thing you need to know is every Haswell processor, of the same model, is not identical when it comes to how much they can OC, and how much voltage is needed to reach an OC speed.

The main variable that shows your CPU's OC potential is the minimum VCore voltage needed for the CPU to be stable at a certain speed. You can check that at the processor's stock speed, or really at any OC speed.

In general, if one CPU needs significantly more voltage (0.1 - 0.2V+) than another of the same model, then the one needing more voltage will not be able to OC to as high a level as the other. We could try ignoring the higher VCore voltage level, but higher VCore means higher CPU temperatures and at some point more wear on the processor itself. Also, some processors hit a speed wall that they cannot exceed regardless of the VCore level.

CPU temperature is a factor of course, but if you have good cooling (you should have that now) then the CPU temperature during stress/stability testing won't likely be the limiting factor attempting to reach 4.5GHz.

If the "same settings" you mentioned are for setting the VCore voltage, then you need to change the way you are perceiving them. There aren't one set of settings that will work for every processor, even of the same model as I said above. CPU OCing is not just a recipe, if it was we'd have tables of settings to use, and never talk about it.

The auto, built in OC settings in any board's BIOS have one thing in common, they use more VCore voltage than necessary for every processor. The board manufacture's know every processor is different in the amount of VCore it will need, so to insure as much as possible that their auto OC settings will work with as many processors as possible, they program in overly high VCore voltages. The side affect of that is high CPU temperatures when stress testing, and heating up some processors more than they need to be.

Your post is missing the most important factor, your VCore voltage while stress testing, and at idle if it is different. The processor voltage settings in the BIOS would also be of interest.

Comment

Working...
            X