Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missing BIOS features

Originally posted by mrfreeze49 View Post
    I have good news. John from ASRock TSD explained that those 2 features missing from the OC Tweaker page are only available when using onboard graphics. As soon as you plug in a discrete VGA card they are no longer available. I verified this by temporarily enabling the IGPU Multi-Monitor option under "Chipset Configuration". Once I did that, saved and rebooted, the missing features were back. Of course now that I know their true function I disabled IGPU MM as I only use 1 monitor. I am relieved and feeling a bit more confident with this board and UEFI.

Something I haven't mentioned until now is I am still missing the CSM menu option. At this point I am thinking that there is a simple explanation for that as well. I have asked John and hope to hear back soon. If anyone here has an answer, do tell.

Thanks again to parsec and godto for all your help. I truly appreciate it.
    The onboard graphics thing is somewhat of a surprise, but I assume it's that way because there are GPU OC options along with the CPU OC options. Still seems a bit strange, but whatever.

No CSM option? I would freak out if I didn't have it!! A die hard UEFI booter am I...

Let's see, you're using Windows 7, correct? CSM is at the bottom of the Boot screen, or should be, which you probably know.

Questions, do you have the Fast Boot option set to "Fast"? If so, that will at least in some circumstances (if not all) cause the CSM option to be removed. Set Fast Boot to Disabled to bring it back.

Do you have Secure Boot enabled? I doubt that if you're using Windows 7. Setting Secure Boot to Enabled automatically sets CSM to Disabled and removes the CSM option.

Why are you interested in the CSM option?

Comment

Thanks. I turned off Fast Boot and just as you said the CSM module option was back. ASRock could save themselves a lot of TS headaches if they had just disabled or grayed out these options instead of removing them completely. Even though the module was not visible I had no detectable problems with my pc so I wasn't overly alarmed. I was so focused on the other 2 features I didn't even notice it was missing till a few days ago and that may have been because I recently re-enabled Fast Boot.

As I understand it, I need it to be able to boot into my current OS or to be able to boot from the DVD or USB device.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfreeze49 View Post
        Thanks. I turned off Fast Boot and just as you said the CSM module option was back. ASRock could save themselves a lot of TS headaches if they had just disabled or grayed out these options instead of removing them completely. Even though the module was not visible I had no detectable problems with my pc so I wasn't overly alarmed. I was so focused on the other 2 features I didn't even notice it was missing till a few days ago and that may have been because I recently re-enabled Fast Boot.

As I understand it, I need it to be able to boot into my current OS or to be able to boot from the DVD or USB device.
        I suppose some people prefer that unavailable options are not displayed, while others like to have them shown but inaccessible as you described. No method is perfect for everyone, although I agree with your preference.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing the CSM option to boot your OS, etc. If you plan on UEFI booting, or have an OS installed for UEFI booting, then you need to disable CSM. The default CSM setting is enabled, for legacy/BIOS booting.

You also lost me on being able to boot into your current OS. Is that an OS installation from another PC/motherboard?

I really don't know what you want to do and how CSM is involved.

Also, the Fast Boot options (Fast, Ultra Fast) actually affect the POST process more so than actual OS booting, if not only affecting POST time. If you are just getting an OS installed and setting up your board, I do not suggest using the Fast Boot option. It tends to skip full initialization of some of the hardware on a board, I've seen it do that, at least with Ultra Fast (only works with Windows 8.) Just a good policy until your PC is fully configured and stable, but your choice of course.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          I suppose some people prefer that unavailable options are not displayed, while others like to have them shown but inaccessible as you described. No method is perfect for everyone, although I agree with your preference.

I'm not sure what you mean by needing the CSM option to boot your OS, etc. If you plan on UEFI booting, or have an OS installed for UEFI booting, then you need to disable CSM. The default CSM setting is enabled, for legacy/BIOS booting.

You also lost me on being able to boot into your current OS. Is that an OS installation from another PC/motherboard?

I really don't know what you want to do and how CSM is involved.

Also, the Fast Boot options (Fast, Ultra Fast) actually affect the POST process more so than actual OS booting, if not only affecting POST time. If you are just getting an OS installed and setting up your board, I do not suggest using the Fast Boot option. It tends to skip full initialization of some of the hardware on a board, I've seen it do that, at least with Ultra Fast (only works with Windows 8.) Just a good policy until your PC is fully configured and stable, but your choice of course.
          To this point I have read little on CSM but thought it was for backwards compatibility with non UEFI hardware and OS's. My only interest at this point is that my board works correctly with all features and functions available. Your advice about Fast Boot is taken. I have disabled it to avoid issues going forward. At this point everything seems to be working well. I plan on using some of your past tips along with what I'm learning on this board to start oc'ing a bit. Thanks again for all you help and advice.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words.

If Fast boot does not give you any grief, then use it by all means. Just a heads up warning that I've seen it cause a minor glitch or two. Actually I must say I'm not seeing the slight problems it would cause on my Z87 board, when I used it on my Z97 board. I need to test it some more, but ASRock may have fixed it in the Z97 boards. Plus I was UEFI booting, which could be related to the problem I had.

Frankly, all it would do is seem to not completely initialize the hardware sensor chip on the board, a couple of the fan speed readings would be missing from a cold boot. A restart would clear it up, so no big deal IMO.

Comment

Once I sort out the oc I may re-enable it as I do like faster boot times.

Comment

Working...
              X