Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme9 RAM recommendation

Hello all,
    I'm building a new rig and was hoping someone could give me some insight.
    I've got an FX-9370 water cooled and I'm debating the ASRock 990FX Extreme9 mobo.
    1000W PSU

The ASRock website is a little vague on the memory QVL.
    I'd like to throw in 16GB (2x8) of AMD Radeon R9 2400 or 2133.
    Will I be able to OC it to 2400MHz stable with the 8 core CPU with your current BIOS?
    For now, later upgrade to (4x8GB) and partition a RamDisk.
    Any one have any experience with this memory/mobo combo?
    Or should I pay it safe with the 1866?
    I'll be doing a lot of 3D modeling/CAD and some motion renders. I would like to cut back on render hours.
    Temperatures should not be a problem.

My other possible setup is the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7/AMD 1866 RAM...

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by On_E; 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM.

Re: 990FX Extreme9 RAM recommendation

You might/should! get two sticks to 2400, but I'll bet my last dollar you won't get four sticks to 2400.

Four sticks at 2133 should be doable with a bump of +0.05 to +0.10 to the CPU/NB(mem controller) voltage. I italicized "should" as every system is different, YMMV.

If you shoot for the 2400 and it just doesn't want to play well you can always reap some benefit from it by lowering it Mhz wize and run with tighter timings, plus the CPU/NB voltage change.

But four sticks at 1866 and a smallish bump to the CPU/NB is almost a guaranteed thing. AMD's memory controller is their low point and that's what all the above tries to clearly point out from my long AMD experiences.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks for the input. The Extreme9 Mobo arrived yesterday.
      I'm gonna go for AMD 2400 as it is actually cheaper than the 2133 at the moment.
      To start off with I'm only going to order 16GB (2x8GB)
      Then 16GB more so I'll be able to make the 16 or 24GB RamDisk.
      I've heard good things about AMD's software.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        You might/should! get two sticks to 2400, but I'll bet my last dollar you won't get four sticks to 2400.

Four sticks at 2133 should be doable with a bump of +0.05 to +0.10 to the CPU/NB(mem controller) voltage. I italicized "should" as every system is different, YMMV.

If you shoot for the 2400 and it just doesn't want to play well you can always reap some benefit from it by lowering it Mhz wize and run with tighter timings, plus the CPU/NB voltage change.

But four sticks at 1866 and a smallish bump to the CPU/NB is almost a guaranteed thing. AMD's memory controller is their low point and that's what all the above tries to clearly point out from my long AMD experiences.
        You were correct. I went ahead with 32GB of the 2400 and tried a +.05 bump and couldn't even get my pc to boot to windows. Said I was missing a a .kernel

I dropped the speed to 2133 and booted right up. My question now is Do you think I could get better timings out of the 2400 RAM running at 2133 speeds?
        If so any recommendations?
        Current Timings 10-11-11-29
        2133 @ 1.655v

I should probably add that I'm currently OCing my FX-9370 ≈4.9 stable after a hell of a time. I can't get anything stable past that. Constant freezes, but that's for another topic.
        Last edited by On_E; 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

What'ya get?

This?
          AMD Radeon R9 2400 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model R9316G2401U2K
          (edited as Newegg has since changed their PN's to reflect 2133Mhz sticks, not the 2400Mhz ones ending in 3007)
          Last edited by - wardog -; 10-03-2014, 06:08 PM. Reason: edited as Newegg has since changed their PN's to reflect 2133Mhz sticks, not the 2400Mhz ones ending in 3007
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Ok, using some Google Fu I found a working link to the 2400Mhz AMD R9 sticks:

These?
            AMD Radeon R9 2400 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model R9316G2401U2K - Newegg.com

Comment

Yes. That's them exactly. I'm sorry for not being specific.

I've got 4 x 8GB (32GB Total) in right now.

I get a .Kernel issue when I try to boot up with the XMP profile. (However, the XMP profile worked just fine when I had only 2 x 8GB in)
              Right now I have all four in down at 2133 with timings of 10-11-11-29 I believe.

Do you think I can get those timings down? Or just leave it alone?
              I've never messed with the timings of RAM before, or tried to OC it.

Comment

Post a couple of screengrabs from CPU-Z's Memory and SPD tabs if you would please.

Also, the P/N R9316G2401U2K, that is what's printed on each of your four sticks, correct? That number exactly? It will most likely be displayed in the Memory screengrab you offer up. But just in case, I want to make sure you didn't receive/purchase/have some of the earlier Single Ranked mem that was also offered when these first came out. Most likely you don't have those but best to ask/check first. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  Post a couple of screengrabs from CPU-Z's Memory and SPD tabs if you would please.

Also, the P/N R9316G2401U2K, that is what's printed on each of your four sticks, correct? That number exactly? It will most likely be displayed in the Memory screengrab you offer up. But just in case, I want to make sure you didn't receive/purchase/have some of the earlier Single Ranked mem that was also offered when these first came out. Most likely you don't have those but best to ask/check first. Stranger things have happened.
                  Sorry it Took so long to get back.
                  The part number R9316G2401U2K is the part number on both packages of RAM I received but CPU-z says something different. I don't know, maybe single sticks have a different part number than a dual channel kit?

I believe I've got some problem with the memory. I'm getting an 04 Dr. Debug code and I cannot shut my computer down. I have to hold the power button down otherwise my PC keeps running after I shutdown through windows.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by On_E; 10-07-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Either I'm clicking on the wrong thing in the above post, or those pics got U/L'd improperly.

But they're too small to make out on my end.

Comment

Sorry about that. My PSU died and I had to RMA it. Just got it back.

Anyways, here's a different direct link on a separate image hosting site.

I was having issues ever since I installed the extra 16GB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by On_E View Post
                        Anyways, here's a different direct link on a separate image hosting site.

I was having issues ever since I installed the extra 16GB of RAM.
                        Your HT is at 2400 and that may quite possibly(!!) be why you need to push 1.655v at it/them. I'm guessing you've manually arranged it to 2400 but I think you can lower that 1.655v if you knock that HT down to 2000 or 2200. You'll most likely have to re-do your OC after doing this though.

Are you familiar with what HT represents? I'm thinking you believe it's 1:1 old school and it's not.

Comment

Yeah, I've since dropped it to 2200 and redone my OC down to the turbo core speed 4.7GHz to try and work out my memory issues.
                          On my tablet now cause it just shot me a b2 debug code and wont boot to the BIOS now.
                          I'm gonna take two sticks out restore my BIOS to default and start my OC from scratch.
                          Since I installed the extra memory I've run into a lot of locked screens and unstability.

Thanks for your help with this.
                          I'll start with no OC and try to get stable with the memory first and go from there.

I'll keep posting with my results.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

Keep in mind OC'ing with 4 sticks will be an up hill battle. You most likely won't reach the same OC with 4 as you would 2.

Comment

Working...
                            X