Broadcom gigabit LAN limited to 100 mbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadcom gigabit LAN limited to 100 mbit

Another problem developed with my Asrock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard. Its integrated Broadcom NetLink BCM57781 network controller suddenly ceased to operate on full gigabit speed.
    Some facts:
    • nothing has changed in my network or other HW/SW configuration
    • another gigabit device connected to the same cable works fine
    • connecting the computer to another cable doesn't help
    • the problem persists in both Windows and Linux
    • I updated the driver to the newest version from Broadcom web
    • in device settings I have "Auto negotiation", no gigabit options are available there

Is there any advice other than trying another ethernet card?
    Thanks. Martin

Re: Broadcom gigabit LAN limited to 100 mbit

Having done some more testing I can provide some more details.

Windows 7 boot log consists of these events Broadcom ethernet driver (in this order, relative time in seconds is in brackets):
    (0) Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: Driver initialized successfully.
    (+4) Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.
    (+68) Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.
    (+68) Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet: Ethernet@WireSpeed is enabled and could not negotiate maximum link speed. Potential faulty cable or connection.

The second event is annoying itself - for more than a minute after boot there is no network connection whatsover resulting in failure to map network drives.

Again - cable is not faulty, it works well for other devices. The problem is not limited to Windows, the same result I get in Ubuntu linux (although I'm not able to track OS startup in such detail). And these problems started with no deliberate change in configuration (it actually developed during my holiday). Even the Windows log was clean a week ago.

I even tried to stock-clock my overclocked (but rock solid) i7 2600K with no help.

I'm becoming reconciled to having to buy a dicrete NIC which really makes me angry. One of the reasons I chose this Asrock mb was the Broadcom ethernet instead of the ubiquitous Realtek crap...
    Any idea what I can try?

Comment

Have you tried changing the port used on the switch/router/modem?
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Off course I have tried, Wardog

Comment

Working...
        X