Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

I have the options in the BIOS set to disabled for USB Keyboard and USB Mouse Power On, in fact I have every option on that page disabled. However, when I power down my system, when I move the mouse or press a button on the keyboard, the computer still turns on! This is insanely annoying. Is this a bug with the latest BIOS(1.30) or is there another place in the BIOS to disable this "feature".

Z97 Extreme6
    i7-4790K

Re: Z97 Extreme6 Mouse/Keyboard Turning On Computer

Are they plugged into a USB hub first, then into the computer via the USB hub?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Are they plugged into a USB hub first, then into the computer via the USB hub?
      No, both are directly plugged into the back ports on the motherboard.

Comment

Your PC detail are for an EVGA P55 board, so we don't know anything about your hardware besides your Z97 board. What OS are you using?

I predict... a fancy gaming keyboard and mouse, is that correct?

Open Device Manager, and then USB Controllers. Go through the list and double click each entry to get the Properties displayed. Some will have a Power Management tab, check all of those to be sure the "Allow this device to wake the computer" entries are unchecked. They really should be greyed-out if the BIOS option is working correctly.

One possible factor, ALL the USB ports on the IO panel are USB 3.0 ports. The USB settings in the BIOS may affect your devices capability to wake the PC.

Comment

It doesn't matter if I use my G510 and G700s or a generic USB keyboard and mouse, I've tried both.

Windows version doesn't matter, neither does anything in device manager. The problem happens even with no drives connected to the computer when I haven't even booted into Windows. I can power the computer on, with no drives attached, and it will load into the UEFI BIOS. I can save changes and exit the BIOS, and when the computer begins to POST press the power button to power the computer down. If I move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard the computer will turn on.

In fact, I even cleared the CMOS, completely removed power from the computer. When I plugged the computer back in, I could turn it on with the keyboard and mouse.

This isn't an issue of waking the computer from sleep, this is actually turning the computer on from being completely off.

Comment

Check you got deep sleep disabled in the bios

Comment

Originally posted by Joe-912 View Post
              Check you got deep sleep disabled in the bios
              Deep sleep and the Night Light option are both disabled.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that this is a BIOS bug. I'm hoping someone from Asrock sees this. I've contacted them through their tech support service and have started an email conversation with them. I'm hoping they can get in contact with the BIOS team and figure out a solution. However, the person helping me kind of just blew me off. His response was basically take the motherboard back and exchange it and hope the new board doesn't have the issue. Not sure how exactly exchanging the motherboard would fix, what to me is, a pretty obvious BIOS bug.

Comment

A long shot but to see what is waking the computer up etc. Try this:-

To find out what event/device woke up your Windows from its sleep state, go to command prompt (type cmd on the Start menu Search box and press [Enter]), then type:

powercfg -lastwake

This shows which devices are set to wake up your system:

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Comment

Unfortunately that didn't give me anything. Basically nothing has work this computer from sleep, ever. I turned off the sleep option the first time I booted it, and it has always been shut down, never used sleep or hibernate.

Comment

Then I'd be looking at the PSU next.
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                      Then I'd be looking at the PSU next.
                      Is this a new build, or did it just begin behaving this way?

Comment

Thought about that. The HX850 is brand new, so I popped in the CX750 that I keep around as a spare and had the same problem. I even tried a 400w FSP server power supply I had laying around with the GTX670s removed...same problem.

I've swapped out the CPU, RAM, PSU, and disconnected all the HDDs/SSDs...nothing fixes the problem. I'm pretty confident the problem is the motherboard, and I'm hoping it is a BIOS bug.
                        Last edited by newtekie1; 07-15-2014, 10:07 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Comment

The powercfg check was a long shot, as CaneMan said. Particularly if this happens without an OS installed or OS drive connected to the PC, as you said. Otherwise great info for debugging premature wake from Sleep issues.

While I agree that this is potentially a BIOS bug, I've always had strange results with Logitech mice and keyboards until their dang drivers are installed. Their support forum is filled with issues, like needing a "USB 3.0 compatible" wireless mouse dongle?

Personally, I've never had your issue with my identical board, but I use BIOS 1.20. I had mouse and keyboard recognition issues with this board and the 1.00 and 1.20 BIOS versions, that is before an OS is installed, even with Microsoft mice and keyboards. The wireless connections did not like the "Ready to use" USB 3.0 ports, which you must use due to the lack of any USB 2.0 ports on the IO panel (as you know.) Even a basic wired mouse I used had to be plugged in again after a restart before i, which would then wake up the wireless mouse connection. I bought a PCI slot USB 2.0 four port adapter that connects to the board's USB 2.0 headers, works perfectly since then.

I suggest trying different USB BIOS settings, like the USB Compatibility patch option. Not an elegant solution, did you happen to try that one?

I see that after a review of this board at Anandtech, BIOS 1.33 was added to most likely address the review's comments about the board's power usage being higher than other Z97 boards under load. Or added before the review was published due to feedback from the reviewer. So possibly a rush job that broke things elsewhere?

OTOH, I'm not aware of another post in this forum about your issue, so who knows?

Comment

I think I tried the USB Compatibility option, but I'll make sure.

This is a dual BIOS board, so maybe I'll try switching back to the 1.00 BIOS and see if I still have the problem. I'm guessing you might be right about 1.33 being rushed. So I'm hoping they get another one out that is a more refined.

Comment

Hmm, guess which BIOS version has disappeared from our board's download page:

ASRock > Z97 Extreme6

Looks like 1.33 is history...

No offense ASRock, software is more difficult to get right than most people realize.

Comment

Working...
                              X