AsRock Extreme 4 990FX bios glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock Extreme 4 990FX bios glitch

on mine i'm running an 1100T and the latest. any time i manually set my ram speed AND timings it it under clocks my ram by over riding the speed settings.

so if i set it to 1600 mhz it's all good but, then if i manually set my timings it starts running at 1000mhz (500mhz).

I've tried and tried and tried again with asrock and they either ignore me, brush me off or pretend to not under stand what i'm saying.

----

Now here is the interesting bit, there was similar glitch with ram speed settings in a prior bios version, however in version 2.50 which i currently have the bug changed. it changed in such a way the problem goes away untill you make ANY changes to the ram timing, then it starts under clocking like the prior bios's bug/glitch.

I have all but, called asrock over the phone. Yes i just checked and i see there is a version 2.7 which seems to be an ultra fast fix.

Re: AsRock Extreme 4 990FX bios glitch

Are you bumping the CPU/NB voltage when changing from 1600 Auto to manual timings? Odds are it's dropping to 1000(500) as it, the IMC, simply cant handle the speed and or timings you're entering.

The 1100T is native 1333, so much above that and you'll most likely need a v bump to pass.

I read you thread over "there'. Tight timings with that mem req's some mem and or CPU/NB voltage increase, as witnessed by many many posts concerning.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Are you bumping the CPU/NB voltage when changing from 1600 Auto to manual timings? Odds are it's dropping to 1000(500) as it, the IMC, simply cant handle the speed and or timings you're entering.

The 1100T is native 1333, so much above that and you'll most likely need a v bump to pass.

I read you thread over "there'. Tight timings with that mem req's some mem and or CPU/NB voltage increase, as witnessed by many many posts concerning.
      Keep in mind i have it manually set to 1600 and have passed over 24 hours of stress testing, it's only when i try to set my timings that the bios wigs out. keep in mind it did something similar with the old bios when i tired ot change similar setting.

That said, i hear what you are saying and have question to ask. shouldn't it run the speed and timing i tell it too and if it's not stable shouldn't it just to fail to post or boot windows or blue screen and what not? every single system i've worked with ever has functioned this way. it runs at the settings specified in the bios and if it can't handle it, it just fails to run properly.

Comment

Ahhh, exactly what B.F.G. is supposed to do. ASRock > Support > FAQ > What is Boot Failure Guard (B.F.G)?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Very Interesting. Can BFG be disabled? Also why does it only do ti with my ram? What about all my other insane settings that failed to run correctly? just good enough to pass BFG and move on the next step?

EDIT: Why did no one at AsRock Inform me of this? Also why does the setting the still say 1600 in the bios? does it only temporarily change the setting? I can boot and reboot but. when i go back in the bios it still says 1600mhz despite running at 1000mhz.
          Last edited by cdoublejj; 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I can't be positive at this time/distance, but were I to guess with what's known to me I'd say your 1100T's memory controller(native 1333) barfed on th(e)(ose) memory/timing/voltage setting(s) and is possibly the sole reason BFG is kicking in.

BFG can be disabled, but why?

The 1600 when in reality BFG lowered it to 1000 I can't say for sure. When it boots back up at 1000 are the timings and or voltage(s) changed also, or are they the same only lower Mhz on the mem? BFG may be "wise' enough to lower to a bootable state w/o the need for you to have a non-booting situation that req's a BIOS clearing and begin your OC from scratch. Again, why disable BFG?

They, ASRock Techs, may not have "gathered' what was happening over the phone. Doing these things over the phone is near the same as doing it over the net in a forum

Comment

Originally posted by cdoublejj View Post
              does it only temporarily change the setting?
              Sorry, missed this one.

No. It's "permanent' until you go in and change the value(s). Which of course you would, having noticed BFG did it's usual default 1-3 reboots to config to a bootable state.

Comment

I can't be positive at this time/distance, but were I to guess with what's known to me I'd say your 1100T's memory controller(native 1333) barfed on th(e)(ose) memory/timing/voltage setting(s) and is possibly the sole reason BFG is kicking in.

BFG can be disabled, but why?

The 1600 when in reality BFG lowered it to 1000 I can't say for sure. When it boots back up at 1000 are the timings and or voltage(s) changed also, or are they the same only lower Mhz on the mem? BFG may be "wise' enough to lower to a bootable state w/o the need for you to have a non-booting situation that req's a BIOS clearing and begin your OC from scratch. Again, why disable BFG?

They, ASRock Techs, may not have "gathered' what was happening over the phone. Doing these things over the phone is near the same as doing it over the net in a forum
                I emailed them and even game them a link to the thread with pictures. They also suggested raising the CPU NB voltage and when i asked why they never responded back....ever.

I'd rather have it crash or fail to post as that's a much better indicator to me than BFG screwing with bios settings.

It sounds like I'm going to have to come back to this thread when i have the machine together. I'd like to disabled BFG, if it boots with the same issue then we can rule out BFG in which case if it's not BFG... then i would think it would prove my case o na bios bug, IF NOT then technically it would be problem solved, either i'd need to change the setting or the hardware can't handle it... well the IMC maybe because that's nice ram.

Comment

Originally posted by cdoublejj View Post
                  Keep in mind i have it manually set to 1600 and have passed over 24 hours of stress testing, it's only when i try to set my timings that the bios wigs out. keep in mind it did something similar with the old bios when i tired ot change similar setting.
                  Exactly. Mhz being higher than 1333 and altering the timings resulting in a no boot/BFG situation is usually due to the memory controller needing more voltage to compensate.

The other side of that coin, but no less important, is the memory itself may need it's voltage bumped.

Count me lucky(?) but on the boxes I've used this Sammy mem in at default timings, with a 1600 native mem controller/proc, all I've need to do to go from 1600(again, native) to 1866 is set the BIOSes to 1866. Never needing anything more. But you on the other hand are shooting for beyond that there that I just described so you'll need some experimentation for higher Mhz and lower timings.

Let's talk timings and Mhz. What are your settings your trying that are triggering BFG? Mhz/timings/voltages.

Oh, on that 1100T of your's and these/this "issue' , have you tried setting the mem at 2T and retry? 2T isn't as bad as it appears and does reduce the stress on the mem controller.
                  Last edited by - wardog -; 07-10-2014, 08:19 PM. Reason: 2T isN'T as bad as it appears

Comment

Exactly. Mhz being higher than 1333 and altering the timings resulting in a no boot/BFG situation is usually due to the memory controller needing more voltage to compensate.
                    To those that happen upon that quoted above at a later date, the 1333 I refer is the OPs 1100T's native memory controller.

Comment

Did I make more sense there than the ASRock Techs you spoke with? I hope so.

Comment

The other side of that coin, but no less important, is the memory itself may need it's voltage bumped.

Count me lucky(?) but on the boxes I've used this Sammy mem in at default timings, with a 1600 native mem controller/proc, all I've need to do to go from 1600(again, native) to 1866 is set the BIOSes to 1866. Never needing anything more. But you on the other hand are shooting for beyond that there that I just described so you'll need some experimentation for higher Mhz and lower timings.

Let's talk timings and Mhz. What are your settings your trying that are triggering BFG? Mhz/timings/voltages.

Oh, on that 1100T of your's and these/this "issue' , have you tried setting the mem at 2T and retry? 2T isn't as bad as it appears and does reduce the stress on the mem controller.

far beyond that? i am not shooting for 2ghz or any thing over 16mhz, i just wish to tighten up the timings at 1600mhz

SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US - Newegg.com
                        SAMSUNG 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V2G3D/US - Newegg.com

^^^ Product pages of my kits.

i refreshed my memmory here: Weird AsRock Extreme 4 990FX Bios RAM Settings issue.

okay, so the KEY to this is that prior to my bios upgrade JUST manually setting the ram to 1600 the RAM'S NATIVE speed it would under clock, THEN i updated the bios and it under clock when i changed both settings.

SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO, it was either fixed bios bug and now BFG is kicking because i'm asking to much or the bug still remains and wasn't properly fixed but, this is i'm screwed because the system is in pieces. Especially since i don't what it's doing when i set it 1600 mhz, is it running the correct default timings? what are my current settings?

Because it had similar issue with the first bios, i honestly though it was bug they failed to fix and though if i could get to look at the bios that they would have been able to give it comb over for said glitch since my theory was that the newer bios having the same/similar bug, was possible over writing part of the RAM speed setting with the SPD settings when the bios settings were saved...corrupting the ram speed setting causing it read an incorrect setting and inherently run at lower speed since part of the speed setting was over writting with incorrect values. All based on the fact that prior bios was not correctly saving plain old ram speed settings.

jumping back to my settings, as you can see it can run at 7s @ 1333, 1600mhz being only 300mhz more and based on other reports, we can speculate that 9 might not be too muhc to ask but, again it's just speculation.

Weird AsRock Extreme 4 990FX Bios RAM Settings issue. <<< helpful info on the original issue and the issue after bios update, with pics.

I'll probably need to come back to this thread when i get the machine back together.

Oh one last thing, the one thing i had issue with when hen talking to AsRock was language barrier, i bet if they just read what i said they maybe had no idea what i was talking about.

Comment

To those that happen upon that quoted above at a later date, the 1333 I refer is the OPs 1100T's native memory controller.
                          I get what you mean, you mean the IMC in the CPU was designed for 1333mhz. I only say that be clear that i understand. Also in my eyes that doesn't make much since and is sad business on AMD's part. (Why U no 1600mhz AMD)

Comment

Whoa .....

You're running 2x4GB and 2x2GB sticks, 12GB total, at the same time and having this problem? Not recommended .......

If so, yea. You'll most likely have problems using 4 sticks with tight timings, never mind the disparate 2GB and 4GB sticks in tandem. AMD's have never much liked 4 sticks with tight timings. It can be done but we're talking some serious voltages applied to the CPU/NB(mem controller voltage). AMD does have a weak point and unfortunately it's their memory controller(s).

PM me when you get it back together.

Clear the BIOS, and using the two 4GB sticks only, in slots DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2. Let me know what these two sticks boot up at in default.

Comment

Keep mind this stick are INCIDENTAL except that one set has fewer dram chips on board, they are the same timings and every thing so it's not like mixing ram sets. Yeah i bought the 12gb back when it was cheap and they never made 16gb versions so i'm stuck with only 12gb.

Also will do.

Comment

Working...
                              X