Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme 4 - USB 3.0 only getting max of 9Mb/s

Hi all,

Just set up my new PC - AsRock Z97 Extreme 4 with an i5 4690K, running Windows 8.1 x64

I'm having an issue with all the USB 3.0 ports (additional 2x Asrock ports included), where all ports are only transferring at a maximum of 9mb/s. I have tested with a brand new Kingston usb 3.0 8GB flash drive and also my Edimax wireless stick EW7822UAC which is also 3.0. I have tried all ports - front and back and none are any different. If i plug the flash drive in to the USB2 port it achieves the exact same speed

Tried changing the USB settings in BIOS (disabling legacy etc.), updated firmware to 1.3, tried uninstalling and reinstalling chipset and the AsRock USB 3 drivers and I'm now out of ideas.

AIDA64 says the front ports are running in USB 2.0 mode, but if i plug it in to the AsRock ports it reports it at USB 3.0 speed.

Just checked transfer speed going the other way (eg. flash drive copying to hard drive) and it is working correctly (100mb/s+), so it seems to be the write speeds that are letting it down?

Hopefully someone here can help!
    Last edited by Nenenene; 06-28-2014, 11:27 PM.

Re: Z97 Extreme 4 - USB 3.0 only getting max of 9Mb/s

What is telling you that your transfer rate is 9MB/s? Is that read, write, or both?

An 8GB flash drive is pretty small, very small really, and that limits speed. I'm sure the package shows higher speed numbers, but with the magic words, "Up To...", which refers to the higher capacity versions. What is the exact model name of your Kingston flash drive?

A USB 3.0 wireless network device? A wired Internet connection for PC use has a speed of 1Gb/s (one gigabits per second), while the theoretical max speed of USB 3.0 is 5Gb/s. Real world USB 3.0 speed is about 3.2Gb/s at best. A wireless network connection regardless of type cannot match a wired connection at 1Gb/s. It's also highly unlikely that any ISP is providing download at 1Gb/s, my ISP does about 3.6MB/s, or about 36Mb/s.

My ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board with Windows 8.1 does not have problems with the USB 3.0 interface AFAIK. USB 3.0 flash drives are wildly different in their speeds, reads anywhere from 30MB/s to 100MB/s, writes from about 20MB/s to 75MB/s, on benchmark tests that is. Real world usage is different.

I would use the Intel USB 3.0 ports before the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports.

Do you have XFast USB installed?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      What is telling you that your transfer rate is 9MB/s? Is that read, write, or both?

An 8GB flash drive is pretty small, very small really, and that limits speed. I'm sure the package shows higher speed numbers, but with the magic words, "Up To...", which refers to the higher capacity versions. What is the exact model name of your Kingston flash drive?

A USB 3.0 wireless network device? A wired Internet connection for PC use has a speed of 1Gb/s (one gigabits per second), while the theoretical max speed of USB 3.0 is 5Gb/s. Real world USB 3.0 speed is about 3.2Gb/s at best. A wireless network connection regardless of type cannot match a wired connection at 1Gb/s. It's also highly unlikely that any ISP is providing download at 1Gb/s, my ISP does about 3.6MB/s, or about 36Mb/s.

My ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 board with Windows 8.1 does not have problems with the USB 3.0 interface AFAIK. USB 3.0 flash drives are wildly different in their speeds, reads anywhere from 30MB/s to 100MB/s, writes from about 20MB/s to 75MB/s, on benchmark tests that is. Real world usage is different.

I would use the Intel USB 3.0 ports before the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports.

Do you have XFast USB installed?
      Thanks for the reply. I'm going by the transfer speeds shown with the default Windows transfer info. If I copy a 1.2GB single .avi file to the flash drive from my SSD, it transfers at 9MB/s (takes approx 2.5 minutes). If I then copy the file back to my SSD it transfers so quick (starts at around 1GB/s and then slows to 100MB/s (takes approx 3 seconds).

The flash drive I'm using is a Kingston DataTraveller 100 8GB.

My internet is 100mbit/s fibre, so when I have my ethernet cord plugged in I achieve download speeds of 11mb/s, and upload of 750kb/s. When I switch it over to the wireless adaptor it can only achieve approx 7.0mb/s and an upload of 160kb/s. Which is why I thought it was a USB port limitation. The adaptor was used previously on my old PC using USB 2.0 ports and achieved higher speeds (approx 9mb/s and 750kb/s upload) (seemed to be more consistant speed too, this new one starts slow and ramps up a bit)

I just tried the Xfast program, didn't seem to speed things up much at all

Comment

Just tested the flash drive on my laptop, USB 2.0 port, transferring a 1.8GB file to it from its 5400rpm HDD, transfer started at 75mb/s and by the end had slowed down to 20mb/s. That is still faster than what the USB 2.0 port on my new PC transfers at!

Comment

Working...
        X