Devils Canyon Processors on old Z97 Extreme4 BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devils Canyon Processors on old Z97 Extreme4 BIOS

Will the new Devils Canyon processors (i7-4790k and i5-4690k) boot up with the P1.00 BIOS that comes with the Z97 Extreme4 motherboard? The ASRock site says these processors only work after P1.30 but I am not sure how to flash if it won't let me boot initially. I thought all Z97 motherboards supported Devils Canyon CPUs but it is not clear.

Re: Devils Canyon Processors on old Z97 Extreme4 BIOS

I just purchased an i5 4690k which i'm "fairly" sure the mobo had the 1.0 bios in it, and it booted up without any issues. It displayed the correct CPU in the BIOS too.
    The only reason i say fairly sure is i couldn't see where the version number was in the BIOS and I've now flashed it to 1.3

Comment

Originally posted by EvanDSays View Post
      Will the new Devils Canyon processors (i7-4790k and i5-4690k) boot up with the P1.00 BIOS that comes with the Z97 Extreme4 motherboard? The ASRock site says these processors only work after P1.30 but I am not sure how to flash if it won't let me boot initially. I thought all Z97 motherboards supported Devils Canyon CPUs but it is not clear.
      Where do you see that? The good news is you're wrong.

This is what the version 1.30 BIOS/UEFI description states: Add i7-4790K, i5-4690K, Pentium Anniversary G3258 EZ-OC table

Which means all that happened was the Auto OC entries for these three processors were added in this BIOS. It does not say this BIOS makes them compatible with those processors, they are already compatible, as all Z97 boards are.

I believe you asked this question in the OCN Intel CPU forum, but no one was good enough to reply. I read that post on a mobile device, couldn't reply easily.

Comment

Thanks guys! It sounds promising that I am OK to book up on P1.00 BIOS with my Devil's Canyon CPU.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Where do you see that?
        I saw the Devil's Canyon CPU incompatibility with BIOS P1.00 on the ASRock Z74 Extreme4 CPU Support list found at the link below. If you scroll down you will see that both Devil's Canyon chips are shown as supported with P1.30 minimum BIOS.
        ASRock > Z97 Extreme4

Comment

You're right about the entry in the CPU Support list, it's the same on all ASRock Z97 boards.

What must be the situation is without the 1.30 version BIOS/UEFI, the EZ/Auto OC settings don't exist, and some users would not be happy about that. So in a sense you "must" have version 1.30 (what's up with the 'P' designation, only used in the CPU support list?) for the BIOS to be complete, IF you use auto OC settings that is...

Comment

Working...
          X