Z97 Extreme6 vs Z97 OC Formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97 Extreme6 vs Z97 OC Formula?

My first ASRock MB was a Z77 OC Formula and it is one of the best MB's I used to date. However, it is gross overkill since I'm not trying to set any OC records with the 3770K and I don't need multiple video cards. I'm about to buy the Z97 Extreme6 MB for a 4790K CPU. Will I be as happy with the Z97 Extreme6 MB as I am with the Z77 OC Formula from a rock solid stability and every thing works as advertised stand point. Also, has ASRock made any improvements to the fan controller on the Z97 version of the MB. The Z77 MB fan controller was not the greatest. Comments appreciated.
    Last edited by Ken429; 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM.

Re: Z97 Extreme6 vs Z97 OC Formula?

Thanks all for the input?! I bought the Z97 Extreme 6 MB. A little concerning that Newegg is offering a $10 discount and ASRock has a $15 Rebate but the board gets great reviews so I got one. I guess I'll find out first hand.

Comment

Sorry, but it's hard to know how both boards will be unless you own both, and I don't, I only have the Z97 Extreme 6.

Also, "everything working" can be dependent on what OS you use (ASMedia SATA drivers for Windows 8 have been problematic for me) or the hardware you use (older OCZ and other manufacture's SSDs with the SandForce 1200 series SSD controller are not compatible with Intel 8 and 9 series chipsets), so hard to give perfect information without information about your hardware.

The ASR fan control software is a little better, they provide the more flexible options on all the fan headers (except for Power Fan header of course) now, and extended the temperature range of the Custom fan speed option. The fan calibration option is also available on all fan headers that have fan speed control.

My Z97 Extreme 6 board is working great for me. I was able to test the M.2 ports, which worked perfectly the first time. The numbering layout of the Intel SATA ports is different than in the past, not an issue unless you like your SATA ports occupied sequentially.

Personally, I've had problems updating to UEFI/BIOS version 1.30, but most users do not have this problem. Still not sure what the issue is.

I'm seeing price drops on many different Z97 boards, including rebates. I'm sure they are not selling as well as the Z87 boards did, since all we had was basically the Haswell refresh since then. Also the DC processors are targeted towards the enthusiast, so again not as many Z97 boards are being sold. It was a little to early to expect most people to change to Z97 boards.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have an "old" Mushkin 120GB DX and a "new" Mushkin 240GB SSD. Both have the SandForce 2281 controllers, hopefully, that is not an issue? I also have a several of OCZ 120GB Vertex 3's with the SandForce 2281 - could these be problematic with the Z97 controller?

I did not like to see the ASMedia USB 3.0 Controller on the MB since I never did get the ASMedia USB 3.0 on my ASUS P8 Z68-V Pro MB to work properly or at least I gave up early on and bought a separate USB 3.0 card. ASMedia SATA is another issue I did not expect - but I'll avoid them until I'm desperate for a SATA port. BIOS Version 1.33 is available we'll see what version is on the MB I get. It's encouraging that ASRock is improving the MB Fan Control stuff.

I plan on using W8.1.1, a 4970K CPU and 2X4 GB of GSkill 2400 C10 1.65V Memory for this system - any potential problem? I'll post how I make out with the build once I get all the pieces together. I'm sure that if there is a problem with hardware or software, based on past experience, I'll stumble into it!

Comment

Working...
        X