ASROCK B85 Pro4 video card issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK B85 Pro4 video card issues

I'm building a new rig and seem to be having an issue with my PCIE2 slot. My rig details are below. Bottom line is it boots fine with the GPU not installed. When I install the GPU I get no video. If I go to the bios and change the PCIE2 link speed to Gen 1 the computer boots up and works, but when I switch it back to auto I'm back to it not working again. Do I need to RMA the board? It seems like this is a fairly common issue, looks like my bios version is 2.0, I haven't tried to change anything with that. What are my options at this point?

My Rig
    CPU: i5-4440
    MOBO: ASROCK B85 Pro4
    GPU: XFX R9 270 x
    PSU: XFX TS550
    Case: NZXT Source 220
    Ram: G-Skill Ares 2 x 4 gb

Re: ASROCK B85 Pro4 video card issues

I gotta ask as you don't say, you are going into BIOS>Advanced>Chipset and changing Primary Graphics Adapter ?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Oh, the BIOS rev the board came from the factory with, up along the right side is a white sticker over the BIOS chip. What's printed is the rev.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        I gotta ask as you don't say, you are going into BIOS>Advanced>Chipset and changing Primary Graphics Adapter ?

Yes, should have mentioned that, I have done that. Still no luck unless I change the link speed to Gen 1.

Comment

oh, the bios rev the board came from the factory with, up along the right side is a white sticker over the bios chip. What's printed is the rev.
          p2.0 1-a

Comment

Hmmm, check that the card is fully seated in the pci-e socket.

And that you have attached power to the card if needed too.

Comment

Hmmm, check that the card is fully seated in the pci-e socket.

And that you have attached power to the card if needed too.
              Yup, card is seated properly. I've had it in and out about 15 times to troubleshoot. Both of the required power connectors are attached as well with no adaptors.

Comment

Contact ASRock, tell them your system parts(vid card!) like you did above and inquire of an updated BIOS.

Comment

Strange problem, because...

Your board, CPU, and video card all support PCIe 3.0 speed.

Your video card (general AMD 270 platform) has been available for at least six months.

Auto should work, but do you have a Gen 3 speed setting in the BIOS? You should, although it is not required to set it to Gen 3 if the video card supports Gen 3.

Did you try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after you installed the card? Be sure to set it back to PCIe graphics if you try this, and any other settings you use.

Many boards have had compatibility issues with the new AMD video cards for some reason, so hopefully a BIOS fix will help.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                    Strange problem, because...

Your board, CPU, and video card all support PCIe 3.0 speed.

Your video card (general AMD 270 platform) has been available for at least six months.

Auto should work, but do you have a Gen 3 speed setting in the BIOS? You should, although it is not required to set it to Gen 3 if the video card supports Gen 3.

Did you try clearing the BIOS/CMOS after you installed the card? Be sure to set it back to PCIe graphics if you try this, and any other settings you use.

Many boards have had compatibility issues with the new AMD video cards for some reason, so hopefully a BIOS fix will help.

I do have a Gen 3 speed, I just tried it and it does not work. Only Gen 1 seems to allow the card to work.

I did previously clear the CMOS and verified it is set back to PCIe.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I see there is a 2.1 BIOS (I'm on 2.0) so I can give that a shot, though based on the description of the updates I don't think it will help. 1. Unlock C-State MSR.
                    2. Update Crashless module.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to look for another board.

Comment

Working...
                    X