Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Pro4 not booting

Hi,

I am trying to build a PC using a Z87 Pro4 mainboard and i3 4130 CPU (new, listed as supported with the initial BIOS). There is no reaction when trying to power on the system: no beeps, not even the PSU turning on.

I removed all extension cards and RAM as well as all cables but the main/CPU power cables and PC speaker/power on connectors, still nothing.

In order to make sure the power switch is not broken I connected the reset switch to the power-on pin, still nothing.

I tested the PSU by bridging the green and ground wires and it turned on.

After this I sent the mainboard back to the shop, but after testing they sent it back saying it works properly.

To sum it up:
    - mainboard was tested again and seems to be fine.
    - PSU powers on when bridging wires, so it should be fine as well?
    - CPU is totally new and there is no visible damage.

Any idea what I should try now?

I would also be very thankful to get a few informations on how the Z87 Pro4 mainboard should react:
    - if there is no RAM (I expect some beeping sounds - but the manual does not have any information on this. Does anyone know the peep codes for this board? Also, will there be any output on the screen?)
    - if there is no CPU (Is it safe to power on the board without CPU? Will there be any beeps/feedback at all?)

Thanks in advance!

Re: Z87 Pro4 not booting

As most newer MB's don't have an onboard speaker you won't hear any beep codes until you connect a buzzer/speaker to the SPEAKER1 header.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      As most newer MB's don't have an onboard speaker you won't hear any beep codes until you connect a buzzer/speaker to the SPEAKER1 header.
      Thanks for the reply. I tested with both the speaker connector of the case as well as a small standalone speaker connected to the speaker header on the mobo.

But as the PSU is not even powering on even for a short amount of time I am mostly interested if I can reduce my test setup any more, meaning if I can try powering on without the CPU. So, is this safe to do and will there be anything that would indicate the CPU is in fact dead? If at least the PSU would turn on and/or I would get some beeps...

Comment

Powering on with the CPU removed will gain you nothing. The boards logic devices req it.

Double check your connections at the System Panel Header (PANEL1).

Longshot, but you did connect the 8pin ATX12V1 power, right?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Powering on with the CPU removed will gain you nothing. The boards logic devices req it.
          Alright.

Double check your connections at the System Panel Header (PANEL1).
          I did that a number of times, 100% sure it was correct.

Longshot, but you did connect the 8pin ATX12V1 power, right?
          Sure, this one as well as the bigger one (24 pin?) was connected all the time.

I will test with a known-to-be-good PSU next. Still thankful for any other suggestions.

Comment

The PSU, does it have a 4pin or 8pin for the ATX12V connector on the board? If 4pin, make sure it's connected to the correct pin holes on the 8pin connector.

After that I suggest removing it from the case and bench it on the bare box the MB came in. CPU/HS/F, 1 stick mem, vid card if req'd, and psu.

Comment

The PSU, does it have a 4pin or 8pin for the ATX12V connector on the board? If 4pin, make sure it's connected to the correct pin holes on the 8pin connector.
              I do not have access to the hardware right now but IIRC it is a split 2 * 4 connector which only fits one way into the 8pin socket on the mobo. I will check again just to make sure.

After that I suggest removing it from the case and bench it on the bare box the MB came in. CPU/HS/F, 1 stick mem, vid card if req'd, and psu.
              Will try without the RAM module first. There should be *some* reaction even without the memory (at least some fans turning on).

Comment

You must have a CPU installed (and CPU cooler of course) in order for the board to function.

You can start the board/PC when it is out of the case by carefully, momentarily, shorting the two pins for the power switch on the system panel header.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  You must have a CPU installed (and CPU cooler of course) in order for the board to function.
                  This is what I mainly wondered about.

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  You can start the board/PC when it is out of the case by carefully, momentarily, shorting the two pins for the power switch on the system panel header.
                  Yes, I did this before.

Comment

Working...
                  X