ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will not start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will not start up

I've seen similar posts on this forum concerning this particular mobo. I've decided to make a new post due to the age of the ones I've read.

I bought all the components for this rig new and unopened. After installation, I powered on and got no signal on my monitor and recieved debug code 15/91 in quick succession. It stays on 91 and wont give me any signal or prompt BIOS. The rev. on the mobo says "rev. 1.03" so I assume that's the BIOS. I am unsure what steps to take to get this rig up and running, and I am unsure as to how I would update the BIOS if need be. Any help would be amazing.

Rig:

Mobo: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ FM2+ / FM2
    CPU: AMD 760K Richland 3.8GHz Socket FM2 100W
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
    VGA: MSI Gaming N760 TF 4GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-bit GDDR5
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
    Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
    HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
    Case: GIGABYTE Luxo M30 Black GZ-ZLM3BO
    Last edited by Eduardo Fuentes; 06-06-2014, 06:46 PM. Reason: Added Specs

Re: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ will not start up

Hey there!

From what I could gather, BIOS (Dr. Debug) code 91 = "Chipset initialization error. Please press reset or clear CMOS."
    Try clearing the CMOS as per the manual's instructions (Turn off the computer and unplug the cord from the power supply, wait ~15 secs, switch the appropriate jumper to positions 2-3 for 5 seconds and then back to 1-2).

If that doesn't work, try the most minimal setup possible. Just the psu/mobo/cpu/1 stick of RAM/simplest known-to-work graphics card you have, I use an old passively cooled 8500GT). If that gets past POST, build up from there and see where it fails.

Hope this helps a bit until one of the experts arrives!
    Last edited by ChromeD2; 06-07-2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

This MB has two BIOSes, located along the lower right side of the board. What is printed on the white sticker(s) covering them? That's the BIOS revision the MB came from the factory with.

I don't see the X4 760K in the CPU Support List. It's one of the newer Piledriver cores. You may want to contact ASRock Tech Support and verify that the 760K is in fact supported, HERE.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Hey Wardog!

Wouldn't it be this one?
        FM2* Athlon II X4 AD760KWOA44HL 100W Piledriver 3800MHz 2MBx2 A1 All

I checked there and saw that, googled the reference and it seems to be the CPU mentioned (in which case the BIOS version shouldn't matter as much?). It does have an asterisk but I think that's there to mark the CPUs that don't have an IGP.
        I may be wrong though as I'm mostly familiar with the AM2/3(+) platforms.

Cheers!
        Last edited by ChromeD2; 06-08-2014, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChromeD2 View Post
          Hey Wardog!

Wouldn't it be this one?
          FM2* Athlon II X4 AD760KWOA44HL 100W Piledriver 3800MHz 2MBx2 A1 All

I checked there and saw that, googled the reference and it seems to be the CPU mentioned (in which case the BIOS version shouldn't matter as much?). It does have an asterisk but I think that's there to mark the CPUs that don't have an IGP.
          I may be wrong though as I'm mostly familiar with the AM1/2/3(+) platforms.

Cheers!
          By god you're right! I didn't scroll figuring it would be at the top of the list if it was there.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Place the memory in the DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2 slots, then while it's still unplugged pull the CMOS batt and jump to the CLR position for 5 mins, then reassemble and re-power and she if she fires up.

Also, by chance you didn't overlook connecting the 8pin ATX12V power connector did you? Dunno if that would necessarily cause/exhibit what you're seeing ........

I'd say MemTet86+ against the mem, but you don't have a shot at that yet until clear the booting hurdle.

If you or a friend has some memory to borrow..............

Comment

I'm interested in how this turned out. I'll be working through installation of this board tomorrow, and one potential issue I'll face is that we are trying to use memory that isn't found on the support mem list in the hopes of keeping costs down. That may mean more headaches though. Has your problem been resolved by testing out different memory configurations?

Comment

Working...
              X