problem in setting new memory, BSODs by the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem in setting new memory, BSODs by the way

Problem is in BSODs that happens, but i started thread in win8 forums and after resolving drivers problems, they diagnosed that problem is in setting in bios, and they advised to start a thread here. The memory is new of course and BSODs problems was even before replacing memory. Truth is that I changed some clocks in BIOS and BSODs happens less frequently but problem stays unresolved. I would be grateful for any ideas if that set is good or anything. Since i can't attach any reports and screens i think the best solution is that You tell me what precise info You need and I just give You a basics now.
    Both sticks in A2 and B2
    Timings are set to (those 5 from CPU-Z in memory tab): 11,12,12,30,33
    I changed DC mode to Ganged
    Memory: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL9 KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
    BIOS version: P1.80

Mainboard: ASRock M3A770DE
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Windows 8,1 64-bit

P.S. This is my first thread here so forgive me my mistakes ;p
    Last edited by SoonEnough; 06-06-2014, 09:25 AM.

Re: problem in setting new memory, BSODs by the way

How do you know the BSOD problem is caused by the memory?

When do you get BSODs, any time or when doing one or two things, like gaming?

Memory compatibility is impossible to check, since your Kingston HyperX memory is much newer than your board or CPU, I do not see a similar model in your board's memory QVL. You know the memory works, but seems to not work perfectly.

Your board's specs consider memory at 1600 to be an Over Clock:

Supports DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory

Your CPU specs are memory up to 1333, so 1600 is an OC.

What is your memory voltage set to?

You should try setting the memory to 1333 with the same timings, and see if you still have BSODs.

Comment

I started second thread in windows 8 forums (first thread was before replaced RAM) and they analyzed a .dmp files of my BSODs ,they told me what drivers to update, but after that .dmp files wasn't pointing to anything specyfic, so they came up with idea of bad memory setting in BIOS. This is that thread Solved BSOD - before and after replacing RAM
      Mainly while playing games, but very rarely when for example watching youtube that happens.
      DRAM Voltage in BIOS is set to 1,59V by me.
      Im sorry, I forgot to tell You that i was using 1333 mode and I was having some BSODs so I changed to mentioned 1600 yesterday.
      About hardware I know that I have some old stuff ;p and I replaced memory from (2x2GB) to (2x4GB) through my first thread (they adviced me to replace it) in win8 forums.
      Honestly I feel like i was trying everything and that freakin BSODs still happen... I just minute ago have BSOD in 1600 mode. Its crazy , but I should change lower than even 1333 to make it stop? Or my whole PC is worth go to junk? I feel like Im missing something ;p
      Last edited by SoonEnough; 06-07-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

With these sticks, 1600(OC) should be at 1.65v, everything below, including 1333, should be set to 1.5v. Per specs for this memory.

I might suggest testing with MemTest86+ . With 5-8 passes.

Also, if you can attach screen grabs of CPU-z's SPD tab that might prove helpful.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

OK, sorry for delays, I run the memtest 5 passes, no errors. Im giving link to microsoft onedrive to those screenshots (here it says "one attachment per post" :P )

Comment

Your CPU-Z screenshots looks like your memory is not in slots A2 and B2, it seems to be in slots B1 and B2, slots 3 and 4 according to CPU-Z.

If that is correct you are running single channel memory.

wardog is right about the 1.65V setting needed for running at 1600.

Comment

IM so sorry for not saying this earlier but IN BIOS and i check myself in motherboard that my memory is in A2&B2. So, summing this all,
              this first timings in BIOS (also in CPU-Z memory tab) that i have 11,12,12,30,33 and 1600 mode and DRAM: 1,65V , its fine?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                Your CPU-Z screenshots looks like your memory is not in slots A2 and B2, it seems to be in slots B1 and B2, slots 3 and 4 according to CPU-Z.
                3+4 would be right. This boards slots layout are different than current. Both sticks should be in the white slots, A2 and B2, furthest from the processor.

If it's still hanging at 1600 you might try settings a CR(Command Rate) of 2 considering 1600 is a step up from your processors native max of 1333. ONLY change the Command Rate, Save, and reboot after.

If that fails, set them manually to 1600(800) JEDEC #6, 11-11-11-28, 39, 1.5v. Here too you may want/need to set the CR to 2, but only if it fails at a CR of 1.

A CR of 1 will not show anything adjacent to the CR setting in the BIOS. CR 1 is assumed and thus not shown as 1 in MOST BIOSes. Most times blank means/assumes a CR of 1
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Ok i been testing those mentioned configuration for some time. Sadly I must admit that i getting bsods but its like happening less (like 1-2 per day :/ ) . I should tell U later that that problem happening for looong time, as I said this junk have some time and been thrrough a lot of BSOD's and i mean A LOT, there is nothing wrong with windows and software but im guessing its hardware fault. PSU changing, now memory changing; writing to win8 forums, now Yours, i mean NOW problem happen leeess times but i think that sadly it couldnt be resolved entirely.
                  I doubt it (but I can be wrong) that there is more to do here with memory. But iF U have something just tell ME :P, otherwise I think that i will be searching for new hardware. AND of course thanks for every advice so far from You pro's ;)

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                    Here too you may want/need to set the CR to 2, but only if it fails at a CR of 1.

A CR of 1 will not show anything adjacent to the CR setting in the BIOS. CR 1 is assumed and thus not shown as 1 in MOST BIOSes. Most times blank means/assumes a CR of 1
                    Did you manually set the CR to 2?
                    My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
                    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
                    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
                    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
                    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
                    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
                    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
                    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
                    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
                    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Comment

Forgive me delays, but its a lot of tension in university :/ YES i changed it manually in BIOS, this is called MA Timing (Auto, 1T, 2T).
                      Last edited by SoonEnough; 06-22-2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X